By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Any gun owners on VG?

I owned ZastavaM88 as a handgun (for like 2 weeks, before my dad decided he wants it back) now I own CZ 99 (Serbian version, it has nothing to do with the czech CZ, CZ here stands for Crvena Zastava) and an AK-47 (almost every owns one here)

Serbia is the biggest arms exporter in south eastenr europe so its easy to get weapons here

Around the Network
Umos-Cmos said:
DarthVolod said:

Don't own one, but I am looking into getting a gun for the purpose of home defense. For anyone here with some experience, what would be a decent gun for that purpose? Keep in mind that I don't have any real experience to go on here so whatever it is it has to be beginner friendly.

This would be something just for home defense and fire range use so I have some comfort level actually using it.

I really like my Sig Sauer 9mm.  I looked for a couple of months before I settled on it.  It's a full size pistol but can still be concealed, though probably not a big deal to you unless you plan on carrying.  People will argue over the caliber and it's knock down power if you ever needed to use it for home defense, but it is more about the ammo you use than the gun.  I prefer the 9mm over the .45 because I shoot a much tighter group due to the smaller recoil.  Also my mag holds 15 rounds versus the average .45 which holds around 8.  I would recommend a Single Action pistol whatever you choose.

If you want a really safe gun you might look into the Springfield XD.  It has 3 safety mechanisms and two of which need to be pressed simultaneously in order for the gun to fire.  My Sig is more of a military style gun in that once I pull the slide back and pop one in the chamber it's ready to fire.  No safety switch, though it does have a decocker.  I like the polymer grip and light weight of my Sig as well.

Ultimately I would see which pistol feels the best in your hand.  The grips, sights and frames all make a difference.  Have fun!

Thanks for the information. I think I am leaning towards the Springfield XD since it sounds like it is the safer of the two. Perhaps, when I get more gun experience I can get the Sig Sauer. I'll try out both though when I get the chance to see which is more comfortable.

brendude13 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:
Well. I suppose that we do differ there. Hunting is not something I appreciate, and while shooting is fun, it's only because of its competitive qualities, as any sport is. Plus, shoot an intruder, and you could get in a huge lot of trouble (here, at least). I prefer bats, martial skills, etc (and should you surprise them, you won't really need distance).
For intruders, they are good for intimidation.

I think you should be able to shoot intruders regardless.

If I ever saw myself in another 10 years, stealing from somebody's home, I would gladly let someone shoot me.

There really are some scum in this world who deserve nothing but a bullett to the head, I am very intolerant of criminals these days.

Oh dear.

I personally don't like guns, I find it quite unaesthetic. Don't know, its just not my cup of tea.

Onibaka said:
I would have a gun if my country allowed it...

Anyway, hunting is a thing that I really don't appreciate. If I have to kill a animal in any time of my life, it's only for defense or surviving. The fact that Americans love slaughter is scary, and somewhat worrying for the rest of the world

Are you a vegetarian?

If not I'd be interested in how come you're morally opposed to hunting but not slaughtering animals.

benao87 said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:
Well. I suppose that we do differ there. Hunting is not something I appreciate, and while shooting is fun, it's only because of its competitive qualities, as any sport is. Plus, shoot an intruder, and you could get in a huge lot of trouble (here, at least). I prefer bats, martial skills, etc (and should you surprise them, you won't really need distance).

If I ever saw myself in another 10 years, stealing from somebody's home, I would gladly let someone shoot me.

There really are some scum in this world who deserve nothing but a bullet to the head, I am very intolerant of criminals these days.

Oh dear.

I personally don't like guns, I find it quite unaesthetic. Don't know, its just not my cup of tea.

Haha, sounds harsh I know, maybe I should have re-phrased that, but I'm going to stick to my word.

A fair amount of these "scum" will never change, even if they serve a lengthy jail sentence. There are people in this world who just destroy and destroy and make many people's lives a misery, if they break into my house to steal my belongings or attack me, then I would be more than happy to kill them. 

In no way am I a gun nut or a violent person, I just believe strongly in protecting your belongings and most importantly, your life.

Watch Gran Torino, that will rile you up and maybe you could see where I am coming from.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
benao87 said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:

There really are some scum in this world who deserve nothing but a bullet to the head, I am very intolerant of criminals these days.

Oh dear.

Haha, sounds harsh I know, maybe I should have re-phrased that, but I'm going to stick to my word.

A fair amount of these "scum" will never change, even if they serve a lengthy jail sentence. There are people in this world who just destroy and destroy and make many people's lives a misery, if they break into my house to steal my belongings or attack me, then I would be more than happy to kill them. 

In no way am I a gun nut or a violent person, I just believe strongly in protecting your belongings and most importantly, your life.

Watch Gran Torino, that will rile you up and maybe you could see where I am coming from.

I agree with you.  Some people are only good for bullets.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

Onibaka said:
I would have a gun if my country allowed it...

Anyway, hunting is a thing that I really don't appreciate. If I have to kill a animal in any time of my life, it's only for defense or surviving. The fact that Americans love slaughter is scary, and somewhat worrying for the rest of the world

I love how everyone generalizes Americans as gun toting cowboys that love to shoot and kill stuff.  Most Americans have never fired a weapon, let alone own one.  I do enjoy hunting.  While I respect your opinion of hunting I just wanted to let you know that hunting is not about slaughtering animals for most.  It's not that way at all for me. Many hunters I know are conservationists.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

not a big fan but for security i would.

brendude13 said:
benao87 said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:

Oh dear.

I personally don't like guns, I find it quite unaesthetic. Don't know,  its just not my cup of tea.

You saying Walt should have killed Tao when he tried to steal his car? haha j/k.

I totally agree you should have the right to kill any thief that enters your home, especially if he threatens you or your family in any way. 

In most places in the U.S. if an intruder enters your home and you have reasonable belief that they intend to harm you, or any of your fellow residents you have every right to shoot them. In my opinion there are a lot of thieves out there that would be willing to hurt someone in their way if it meant getting valuable merchandise.
The only issue you would run into is if you shot them in the back while fleeing your premisis. Then you would be in trouble. But as a husband and father I'm glad I have every right to use the power necessary to bring down anyone who intrudes into my home. Having a gun gives much security. However, I do believe that if you have young children you should always have it where they cannot get to it, but that is up to the owner and should not be enforced by the state or else you get into too much regulating.