By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Any gun owners on VG?

Allfreedom99 said:

This is good information. Thanks for sharing. I would not want to potentially shoot someone that did not mean to cause any physical harm to me, or my family. from your experience as a cop would I get in trouble for holding someone thats trying to steal from my residence at gun point until police arive?

And that is good information that you should only shoot if they are about to harm you or someone else.

Nope.  As a matter of fact, a guy held another guy at gunpoint under the exact same circumstances not ten miles from where I live.  I actually thanked him!

A couple of things I left out (again, in my state, not the entirety of the United States) is that you have a right to defend your home.  If that person is coming into your house and you feel like your life is endangered, you can "do what must be done."  Not even a year ago, a judge--that's right, a COURTROOM JUDGE--had two individuals break into his house in the middle of the night.  He shot one of them dead on the spot. (Here's a link: http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-08-20/burglar-shot-breaking-judge-overstreets-home ).  That's not an hour's drive from my house!!

Also, I posted that you should try to retreat.  You don't have to retreat.  If you don't think escape is possible, you can defend yourself.  At the other end of the spectrum, as law enforcement, there may be someone with a weapon inside of a house.  You can retreat--but if you decide to go inside and "neutralize" the subject, you are also covered. 

Another grey area--if you believed that your life was in jeopardy (ie: someone pulls a fake gun or an object that looked like a lethal weapon), you can still be justified in your actions.  In the end, it all comes down to what you can articulate in court.  You'll possibly still be arrested but be released on your own recognizance until court.  If you're justified, all charges will be dropped.  Whether you're arrested in the first place will depend on the reporting officer's determination that a crime has taken place.

Around the Network

My lovely guns:

a side by side breach 12 gauge shotgun (my fav)
a pump action 16 gauge shotgun
a 30-06 scoped bolt action rifle
a semi auto M16
a .45 glock (car)
a .38 special revolver (bedroom)

and a conceal permit :)

Xen said:
@Gun owners:
Well. I suppose that we do differ there. Hunting is not something I appreciate, and while shooting is fun, it's only because of its competitive qualities, as any sport is. Plus, shoot an intruder, and you could get in a huge lot of trouble (here, at least). I prefer bats, martial skills, etc (and should you surprise them, you won't really need distance).
For intruders, they are good for intimidation.

Just curious, but how well would your bat and martial arts skills hold up against someone who has a gun? 

maximus22 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:
Well. I suppose that we do differ there. Hunting is not something I appreciate, and while shooting is fun, it's only because of its competitive qualities, as any sport is. Plus, shoot an intruder, and you could get in a huge lot of trouble (here, at least). I prefer bats, martial skills, etc (and should you surprise them, you won't really need distance).

Just curious, but how well would your bat and martial arts skills hold up against someone who has a gun?

If your country wasn't as easrnest as it is to sell people guns, the chance of facing an armed intruder would be far smaller.

In my country, you only see people with knives and lead pipes.

Xen said:
maximus22 said:
Xen said:
@Gun owners:

If your country wasn't as easrnest as it is to sell people guns, the chance of facing an armed intruder would be far smaller.

In my country, you only see people with knives and lead pipes.

It's true that it is easy for law abiding citizens to get a gun here thank God.  But no matter where you are, criminals can always find a gun on the illegal black market and those are the people that I am prepared for.  And if someone breaks into my home with a knife or a pipe they stand absolutely no chance.

Around the Network
Marks said:
brendude13 said:

That's a good point you brought up there, Walt shouldn't have killed Tao.

I think before you shoot someone you should judge whether they deserve it or not. Firstly, Tao was breaking into his garage, something which wasn't a part of his house. When he confronted him he cowered and Walt knew he didn't pose any threat. It wouldn't be a common situation either, rarely does an innocent person get forced to carry out crimes.

Yeah that's very true. Walt realized he was just a scared kid and there was really no reason to shoot him. If Tao had been one of the gangsters or something (his cousins) then it would have made more sense to shoot because they likely had guns. 

d21lewis summed it up, it can't get any fairer than that.

What I said was more of a hate fuelled rant against certain people in society these days. I think you would understand my point more if you lived in England, there are just so many wasters in this country, the perfect example being the people who participated in the riots. Not every one of them posed a direct threat to people's lives, but if those rioters didn't wake up one day, not only would I not care, I would be happier.

The fact that our police are so useless just makes me even more angry.

maximus22 said:
My lovely guns:

a semi auto M16
a .45 glock (car)

Nice collection man! You're well prepared for anything. 

maximus22 said:

It's true that it is easy for law abiding citizens to get a gun here thank God.  But no matter where you are, criminals can always find a gun on the illegal black market and those are the people that I am prepared for.  And if someone breaks into my home with a knife or a pipe they stand absolutely no chance.

Not to mention that rioters in England had guns. Gun laws over there did nothing much to stop them from acquiring firearms

maximus22 said:
My lovely guns:

a semi auto M16
a .45 glock (car)

What model 30-06? Also what type of scope?  Do you hunt at all?  I hunt Deer or Elk (when I draw out) with mine primarily.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

Umos-Cmos said:
maximus22 said:
My lovely guns:

a semi auto M16
a .45 glock (car)

What model 30-06? Also what type of scope?  Do you hunt at all?  I hunt Deer or Elk (when I draw out) with mine primarily.

A Remington 700 and a Nikon scope (can't remember which model).   I don't hunt as much as I used to  but I try to go once a year for white tail deer.  I've never been Elk hunting as there aren't any around here but someday maybe.