By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Developer Hints at Metroid Wii U

Other M sounded good on paper, it was just the controls that let it down. Maybe that U controller can fix that.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

If it's Metroid Other M 2, given the sales, Nintendo would finally have gone insane (defined as, no longer interested in making money).

A 2D Metroid would take them a third of the time to make with fewer people and likely sell more.

Soleron said:
If it's Metroid Other M 2, given the sales, Nintendo would finally have gone insane (defined as, no longer interested in making money).

A 2D Metroid would take them a third of the time to make with fewer people and likely sell more.

Can't see why. Prime was the best selling game in the series by far.

(I mean, the first one likely sold a lot too, but it has been, well, 25 years since it)

haxxiy said:
Soleron said:

Can't see why. Prime was the best selling game in the series by far.

(I mean, the first one likely sold a lot too, but it has been, well, 25 years since it)

Let's assume another Prime game would sell about 2m. A 2D Metroid would sell about 1m judging from Fusion. But the 2D one would cost much less to make so I think they could make more profit from it overall and also need to commit fewer resources that they could use on other games.

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:

If they go full 2D, it would need to be like NSMBWii in that is a wholly different game than the previous Metroids.

That would mean that it would be a true sequel to Super Metroid and who honestly wants something like that?

lol I know quite of few people... including us.

Apparently not here on VGC. Our comments on the Metroid editorial are at the bottom of the barrel. Apparently a lot of people loved Metroid: Other M, moreso than Super Metroid.

While I enjoyed MoM... it definitely wasn't better than SM.

However, I think more people liked the Prime series than the 2D classic Metroid series and that is the real opposition.

Around the Network
*Sound Of Rain said:
I am tired of Metroid LOL. I am not kidding either!

Why does Nintendo keep focusing on Metroid? Mario is easy to understand because it sells a lot and is Nintendo's mascot but why Metroid?

Ever since Metroid Prime and Fusion in 2002 its been non stop Metroid.

They're probably compensating for completely fucking ditching the franchise for eight years. (1994-2002)

gumby_trucker said:
a bit off topic, but you know who I wouldn't mind having a go at Metroid? Arika, no kidding.

The whole Zoom-In mechanic in endless ocean 2 seems perfectly fitted to a more "organic" form of scanning, not to mention allowing for some beautiful set-pieces. The visor itself would merely point out that there is a point of interest (like the bright yellow orbs in EO2).

Furthermore, I think they proved with that title that they definitely know how to execute exploration and discovery properly, not to mention mastering the art of building tension and immersion.
They were even able to integrate a long and interesting story into the game without intruding on the gameplay and atmosphere.

The game had upgradeable equipment, nonlinear gameplay, huge complex levels full of nooks and crannies to explore, tons and tons of side-quests, living environments and eco-systems with hundreds of different creatures, and much more.
Perfect Metroid stuff, there.

Incidentally, Wii owners who haven't played the game are really missing out!

Anybody else get that kind of vibe when playing the game?

I have Endless Ocean 1 and 2 and I like them both and I think they are very good games. But what makes them special is their timming, slow, and the fact that they don't push players in the direction the game wants, they just "hint" where could you go.

And while these 2 aspects are very good and in fact are essential for Endless Ocean, they are the exact opposite things that a Metroid game needs. Metroid always tells you where do you have to go and force you to do it in order to advance, and they are also fast, you don't walk from point A to point B, you jump, run and/or roll to get there as fast as possible.

And that's why Arika would have big troubles to succeed, get the right timming in a game is essential, and I don't think they would be able to do it with Metroid.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Yeah, Metroid: Other M lacks in exploration parts, until you wanna do the 100% run, but it's not enough.
If they are capable to do a 2.5D Metroid in visuals with enough explorations good, in any other case it's better an FPA.

What i'm trying to say, it's that i hope the can see what direction the game is taking an see if it's good or not before going blind and ahead till the end.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

JEMC said:
gumby_trucker said:
a bit off topic, but you know who I wouldn't mind having a go at Metroid? Arika, no kidding.

The whole Zoom-In mechanic in endless ocean 2 seems perfectly fitted to a more "organic" form of scanning, not to mention allowing for some beautiful set-pieces. The visor itself would merely point out that there is a point of interest (like the bright yellow orbs in EO2).

Furthermore, I think they proved with that title that they definitely know how to execute exploration and discovery properly, not to mention mastering the art of building tension and immersion.
They were even able to integrate a long and interesting story into the game without intruding on the gameplay and atmosphere.

The game had upgradeable equipment, nonlinear gameplay, huge complex levels full of nooks and crannies to explore, tons and tons of side-quests, living environments and eco-systems with hundreds of different creatures, and much more.

I have Endless Ocean 1 and 2 and I like them both and I think they are very good games. But what makes them special is their timming, slow, and the fact that they don't push players in the direction the game wants, they just "hint" where could you go.

And while these 2 aspects are very good and in fact are essential for Endless Ocean, they are the exact opposite things that a Metroid game needs. Metroid always tells you where do you have to go and force you to do it in order to advance, and they are also fast, you don't walk from point A to point B, you jump, run and/or roll to get there as fast as possible.

And that's why Arika would have big troubles to succeed, get the right timming in a game is essential, and I don't think they would be able to do it with Metroid.

By "timing" do you mean pacing? as in how fast or slow the game progresses? I'm pretty sure that Arika know how to make fast paced games too, they've made games in the Street Fighter series in the past, as well as Mega Man Network Transmission for GC and other more arcady, action-heavy games. One of the things I like about them as a company is that they really seem to be quite versatile.

As far as just "hinting" at where to go but still giving you several options to explore, isn't that kind of similar to classic Metroid? I thought more exploration was something fans of the series wanted. Regardless, if anything, Metroid is a more linear experience than EO with one main quest, which should make it easier for Arika to develop than a branching side-quest ridden game like EO. They will be able to focus their already high levels of talent on making less content, so the quality should be even higher.

Once again, regarding the running and jumping: Obviously Endless Ocean had slower movement since it was under water, but it's not like Arika couldn't handle a different, more acrobatic move-set. Like I said, they have tons of experience with fighting games.

If I am misunderstanding what you mean by "timing", please correct me and explain what you mean. Also, remember that no matter who is making Metroid, they will be under the supervision of Nintendo to make sure it feels right.

Having said all that, I still think it could be one hell of a game!

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

gumby_trucker said:
JEMC said:
gumby_trucker said:

By "timing" do you mean pacing? as in how fast or slow the game progresses? I'm pretty sure that Arika know how to make fast paced games too, they've made games in the Street Fighter series in the past, as well as Mega Man Network Transmission for GC and other more arcady, action-heavy games. One of the things I like about them as a company is that they really seem to be quite versatile.

As far as just "hinting" at where to go but still giving you several options to explore, isn't that kind of similar to classic Metroid? I thought more exploration was something fans of the series wanted. Regardless, if anything, Metroid is a more linear experience than EO with one main quest, which should make it easier for Arika to develop than a branching side-quest ridden game like EO. They will be able to focus their already high levels of talent on making less content, so the quality should be even higher.

Once again, regarding the running and jumping: Obviously Endless Ocean had slower movement since it was under water, but it's not like Arika couldn't handle a different, more acrobatic move-set. Like I said, they have tons of experience with fighting games.

If I am misunderstanding what you mean by "timing", please correct me and explain what you mean. Also, remember that no matter who is making Metroid, they will be under the supervision of Nintendo to make sure it feels right.

Having said all that, I still think it could be one hell of a game!

Yes, I ment pacing. Sorry.

I didn't know about their past work with Street Fighter, that makes it more feasible.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.