By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Developer Hints at Metroid Wii U

Thechalkblock said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
If they are smart, they would do a total reboot.

I agree; a reboot is exactly what the Metroid series needs.

It's the best choice they have. Actually they only have two of them:

• continue the story from Metroid Fusion... and take it to a newer level/style
  • Total reboot: It takes the still strong brand and try to fit it on a new audience.

I would go with the reboot. Easiest and possibly the most profitable. That's very Nintendo.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

This would be cool. Maybe a Prime style complete redo of the first game, exactly, but in FPS style.

That would be pretty cool.

superchunk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

This would be cool. Maybe a Prime style complete redo of the first game, exactly, but in FPS style.

No it wouldn't

Xxain said:
superchunk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

No it wouldn't

why not.

Its a remake of a great game, in FP so you can really utilize the new controller for maps and such.

Puts a new angle on an old game, allowing you to relive the game in a completely new way with completely new challenges.

I think it would be great.

Otherwise, what's left... a reboot of the original with what... better graphics? Seems boring.

If they go full 2D, it would need to be like NSMBWii in that is a wholly different game than the previous Metroids.

superchunk said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I would expect to see either a full on FPS (in Nintendo-style then) or a full on action adventure.

If one thing would change, it would have to be whole backtracking/scanning side to Metroid. i like it, but face it: It's just not popular.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:

If they go full 2D, it would need to be like NSMBWii in that is a wholly different game than the previous Metroids.

That would mean that it would be a true sequel to Super Metroid and who honestly wants something like that?

lol I know quite of few people... including us.

I am tired of Metroid LOL. I am not kidding either!

Why does Nintendo keep focusing on Metroid? Mario is easy to understand because it sells a lot and is Nintendo's mascot but why Metroid?

Ever since Metroid Prime and Fusion in 2002 its been non stop Metroid:

Metroid Fusion__2002
Metroid Prime__2002
Metroid Zero Mission__2004
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes__2004
Metroid Prime Pinball__2005
Metroid Prime Hunters__2006
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption__2007
Metroid Prime Trilogy__2009
Metroid Other M__2010

Again. this would be reasonable if it actually sold very well but...

Those 8 games together(Zero Mission data wasn't found) sold 9.6 Million.

It would also be fine if Nintendo released other games from other franchises besides Metroid but they continue to be ignored:

Pikmin__2001__1.6 Million
Pikmin 2__2004__1 Million
NPC Pikmin__2009__540K

No real new Pikmin game has been released in the last 7 years! Pikmin sells about the same as the latest Metroid games.

Starfox__1993__2.9 Million
Starfox 64__1997__4 Million
Starfox Adventures__2002__1.8 Million
Starfox Assault__2005__830K
Starfox Command__2006__730K
Starfox 64 3D__2011__?

The best selling Starfox game has easily outsold the best selling Metroid game and the recent Starfox games while selling less than recent Metroid games haven't sold too bad. Even after these sales Starfox hasn't had a game in the last 5 years! Starfox 64 3D while It will probably be the best Starfox game in a while IMO...it still isn't a true new Starfox game. I also think that Starfox 64 3D will outsell Metroid Other M.

F-Zero also seems to get heavily ignored but I feel to lazy to look up its sales LOL.

Metroid even comes out more than Zelda LOL.(Which outsells it by a lot)

My point is I understand why Mario gets a lot of Nintendo's attention as its their mascot but the other franchises should be treated as equal since they all have fans despite Metroid's being more "Core".

I think Nintendo should treat all of their franchises in a similar way to how they treat Animal Crossing and Paper Mario...they have a game every 3 years. Each franchise should have a game every 2-3 years except for the ones that don't sell as much but as shown above...most Nintendo franchises sell close to each other.

Nintendo should put less attention on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, and Kirby and put more attention on Pikmin, Starfox, F-Zero, and other ignored Nintendo franchises.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Thechalkblock said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I agree; a reboot is exactly what the Metroid series needs.

It's the best choice they have. Actually they only have two of them:

• continue the story from Metroid Fusion... and take it to a newer level/style
  • Total reboot: It takes the still strong brand and try to fit it on a new audience.

I would go with the reboot. Easiest and possibly the most profitable. That's very Nintendo.

Honestly the story in Metroid is so loosely tied as it is that I don't see continuing the storyline of Metroid Fusion as a very good choice. I don't even totally understand the overlying Metroid canon.

The reason Mario and Zelda are so popular is because they continue to have great gameplay mechanics as well as new inventive takes on that gameplay. Examples are the intuitive level designs in Super Mario Galaxy and the the addition of new weapons in each consecutive Zelda.

What Metroid needs to do is make a reboot, stop trying to make sense within the old Metroid canon (there can still be a good story, the stories just don't have to be consecutive), and focus on the core gameplay of Metroid while finding ways to make the series feel fresh.

To further expand on how I think future Metroid games should be story-wise, I believe Nintendo should do with Metroid what Square attempts to do with Final Fantasy (though the story in FF always seems to be the same): do not connect story of the games, but instead invent a new individual adventure for Samus every time.

so is this an image of the actual game being in 3rd person view? i sure hope not! i want a metroid prime style game. i don't know how i want to control it though. i like the Wiimote style but it might play better with the Wii U controller but then one has to move around to play.

anywho can't wait to see footage of it! :D

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

wait a sec this is from June 15th!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(