By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Developer Hints at Metroid Wii U

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
gumby_trucker said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

why must Metroid be in either first or third person view exclusively?
Most PC games have been able to accommodate both for years...

Because we expect Metroid to be a stellar game. If you made a game where you could decide if you want to play the game in either first or third person perspective something has to give, unless the designers account for having to make two different games.

Don't  forget that the current metroid troubles come from a lack of clear view or gameplay. Simplicity like in Mario or Zelda is key to sell big to an audience.

Both Mario and Zelda give you the option to switch to first person view on demand ,although you can't move in that case. At least have that option in Metroid too. Either switching from first to third occasionally or vice versa could be really useful at times, IMO.

Once again, this is something I thought EO2 handled extremely well, in the "scanning" sections for example. Obviously having the ability to play from both perspectives all the time was made easier in that game because of very few collision concerns, but if you just think about the mandatory 1st person segments in that game, with the rest being played in 3rd person, it works quite well, and actually makes sense.

If Nintendo has any sense, they would reboot Metroid as a clearcut space-shooter (a shooter in their way), with the scanning/backtracking/second pathsoptional as secondary objectives - Something like goldeneye. That works for a lot of customers. Shooters and semi-adventurers alike.

Like i wrote before: a clearcut gameplay style is needed. Metroids audience is just not there anymore. The few ones it had, are going away. 

Once again, I'm probably in the minority here, but I would love to see a Metroid game based pretty much on EO2's template but in a Sci -Fi setting. You could have the "shooting" be a bit more siginificant, not to mention adding boss battles, but l want the fundamentals to remain to be about exploring and navigating an alien world.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
gumby_trucker said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

why must Metroid be in either first or third person view exclusively?
Most PC games have been able to accommodate both for years...

Because we expect Metroid to be a stellar game. If you made a game where you could decide if you want to play the game in either first or third person perspective something has to give, unless the designers account for having to make two different games.

Don't  forget that the current metroid troubles come from a lack of clear view or gameplay. Simplicity like in Mario or Zelda is key to sell big to an audience.

Both Mario and Zelda give you the option to switch to first person view on demand ,although you can't move in that case. At least have that option in Metroid too. Either switching from first to third occasionally or vice versa could be really useful at times, IMO.

Once again, this is something I thought EO2 handled extremely well, in the "scanning" sections for example. Obviously having the ability to play from both perspectives all the time was made easier in that game because of very few collision concerns, but if you just think about the mandatory 1st person segments in that game, with the rest being played in 3rd person, it works quite well, and actually makes sense.

If Nintendo has any sense, they would reboot Metroid as a clearcut space-shooter (a shooter in their way), with the scanning/backtracking/second pathsoptional as secondary objectives - Something like goldeneye. That works for a lot of customers. Shooters and semi-adventurers alike.

Like i wrote before: a clearcut gameplay style is needed. Metroids audience is just not there anymore. The few ones it had, are going away. 

Once again, I'm probably in the minority here, but I would love to see a Metroid game based pretty much on EO2's template but in a Sci -Fi setting. You could have the "shooting" be a bit more siginificant, not to mention adding boss battles, but l want the fundamentals to remain to be about exploring and navigating an alien world.

I loved other M. But face it the fundamentals aren't popular. I like them a lot too. But the bigger audience doesn't. Prime sold the most because people thaught it was a shooter - that's why the sequel to prime sold less then half of Prime's numbers. 

With other M, Nintendo tried to tone it down and make the game more straight forward in story as gameplay. And still the sales dropped...

Metroid is facing the worst what can happen to any form of entertainment. Irrelevance!

Since Other M failed in its clear goal off building up Metroid, Nintendo will have to go a another step further. Either 2D like roll said or total reboot...

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

TBH, l would have liked to have Samus on screen a bit more often, preferably with me controlling her and performing agile acrobatic moves freely. In particular, platforming in first person, while executed well in those games, didn't feel as eIegant to me as in the 2D games and felt like somewhat of a step backwards for the series in my eyes. Now that l think of it, combat seemed to suffer from this issue as well. There is something very empowering to the player about the way Samus moves in the old games, which I think Other M managed to get mostly right.

The elegance of Super Metroid cannot be replicated in a 3D space which is why there should be new 2D games (not in the strict sense of sidescrolling, just gameplay that takes place on a 2D plane at all times). The Metroid Prime games at least had the player keep control over what could be transfered into 3D while Other M took mostly everything away. Now you have auto-aim, dodging that is stupidly easy executed and doesn't require any skill and ledges you can't run off which makes well-timed jumps unnecessary. What you are left with is a game that treats you like a baby, because you apparently can't handle a real game. Maybe Other M feels empowering to you, but to me it feels kinda offending, because not only aren't my skills required, they are flat out denied.

I'm agreeing with Gumby Trucker on this one, though i also feel that some of the finer points of Other M would need to be ironed out, mostly through use of an analogue stick to drop auto-aim and more delicate platforming (which clearly the engine was capable of more delicate platforming, they just chose not to). I liked the dodge as well, the only thing broken about it was that it immediately charged your charge beam.

I still think that, from a strict gameplay perspective, Other M is the future of 3D Metroid (as far as camera perspective and movement goes), though that doesn't preclude them from making a deliciously rendered 2D game, something lavish a la The Shake Dimension

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

TBH, l would have liked to have Samus on screen a bit more often, preferably with me controlling her and performing agile acrobatic moves freely. In particular, platforming in first person, while executed well in those games, didn't feel as eIegant to me as in the 2D games and felt like somewhat of a step backwards for the series in my eyes. Now that l think of it, combat seemed to suffer from this issue as well. There is something very empowering to the player about the way Samus moves in the old games, which I think Other M managed to get mostly right.

The elegance of Super Metroid cannot be replicated in a 3D space which is why there should be new 2D games (not in the strict sense of sidescrolling, just gameplay that takes place on a 2D plane at all times). The Metroid Prime games at least had the player keep control over what could be transfered into 3D while Other M took mostly everything away. Now you have auto-aim, dodging that is stupidly easy executed and doesn't require any skill and ledges you can't run off which makes well-timed jumps unnecessary. What you are left with is a game that treats you like a baby, because you apparently can't handle a real game. Maybe Other M feels empowering to you, but to me it feels kinda offending, because not only aren't my skills required, they are flat out denied.

l don't disagree with you about Other M. When I say Samus should be more agile and acrobatic, by no means am l suggesting this should come at the expense of control. Otherwise, just as you say it isn't empowering at all. The funny thing about Other M is that it's actualIy not too hard to imagine those flaws you mentioned fixed. Dodging could easily be made directional with the d-pad, artificial walls could be removed from ledges and other areas, and even auto- aim could be eliminated by having Samus only shoot in the direction she is facing. I don't remember if the game used all eight directions on the d-pad for movement but this should definiteIy be the case if they continue to go with this style. As for aiming diagonally at the ceiling or at higher ground, this could have been done by pressing the B button along with facing the desired direction on the d-pad. ln fact l am hoping that this kind of control scheme (along with the first person view) is something Nintendo include in future games, if they intend to continue making Metroid in this style. They should have also given the player these options in Other M ,IMO, leaving the current ones only as an option for novices.

Also, I agree that having this level of agility is not completely possible in 3D, but if it was played in 3rd person then at least there would have been room for more interesting and sophisticated moves which definitely couldn't work in first person. That's why l feel 3rd person should be the main view, with first person used for scanning and perhaps certain weapons where it is more appropriate. A lot of people hated this in Other M but I thought it worked.

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I loved other M. But face it the fundamentals aren't popular. I like them a lot too. But the bigger audience doesn't. Prime sold the most because people thaught it was a shooter - that's why the sequel to prime sold less then half of Prime's numbers. 

With other M, Nintendo tried to tone it down and make the game more straight forward in story as gameplay. And still the sales dropped...

Metroid is facing the worst what can happen to any form of entertainment. Irrelevance!

Since Other M failed in its clear goal off building up Metroid, Nintendo will have to go a another step further. Either 2D like roll said or total reboot...

I understand your legitimate concern with sales, but without all those extra elements Metroid is just another Sci-fi FPS...Meanwhile there are games like shadow complex which AFAIK are doing well in the marketplace. If that means Metroid should become a downloadable game in order to remain relevant, I'd prefer that to it turning into just another big name shooter.

the original trolls

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I understand your legitimate concern with sales, but without all those extra elements Metroid is just another Sci-fi FPS...Meanwhile there are games like shadow complex which AFAIK are doing well in the marketplace. If that means Metroid should become a downloadable game in order to remain relevant, I'd prefer that to it turning into just another big name shooter.

In the end, Nintendo is about making money. Metroid, the brand, is still good - you can still build on it. It's just not selling.

Reboot/Rebranding is most likely the best outcome. Even a downloadable Metroid for a small audience still requires a decent set of resources. I don't see Nintendo putting that up for it. There are many Nintendo Ip's that sold less then Other M and were more of less forgotten.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

RolStoppable said:

Just about everything in Other M could have been fixed with a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup. An analog stick is more convenient for movement in a 3D space, the manual aiming could be done with the pointer (your suggestion of holding a button to aim diagonally would be clunky and cumbersome) and the need to switch into first person mode could be completely eliminated and be made entirely optional.

Other M's basic concept is not bad at all, but its execution was terrible in so many ways. In the end it barely resembled what a Metroid game is supposed to be which is why its sales ended up being so low. Metroid cannot be a massmarket game like Super Mario or Zelda, because some of its built-in characteristics prevent it from being so. The only way to make Metroid mainstream would require the game to cease being Metroid, but even then the chances to become popular would be very slim. The destruction of the series would be a much more likely outcome.

playing Other M with a remote and nunchuck is completely missing the point of the entire game. Pressing another button to shoot in certain directions is no more clunky than having a lock-on button in 3D games. In fact, I only suggested this addition because super metroid had diagonal aiming, but with other m's controls this option is actually made redundant now that I think of it. Switching back and forth between views is IMO a perfect solution to the problem of integrating agile movement and platforming with scanning and precise shooting. Scanning and platforming should have been done better in the game (not to mention lock-on being optional) , but the point still stands. Regarding movement in 1st person,I already explained why l don't think this is a great fit with Metroid anyway. And nowhere am l suggesting that Metroid should try to become a mass-market game, quite the opposite in fact.

the original trolls

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

l don't disagree with you about Other M. When I say Samus should be more agile and acrobatic, by no means am l suggesting this should come at the expense of control. Otherwise, just as you say it isn't empowering at all. The funny thing about Other M is that it's actualIy not too hard to imagine those flaws you mentioned fixed. Dodging could easily be made directional with the d-pad, artificial walls could be removed from ledges and other areas, and even auto- aim could be eliminated by having Samus only shoot in the direction she is facing. I don't remember if the game used all eight directions on the d-pad for movement but this should definiteIy be the case if they continue to go with this style. As for aiming diagonally at the ceiling or at higher ground, this could have been done by pressing the B button along with facing the desired direction on the d-pad. ln fact l am hoping that this kind of control scheme (along with the first person view) is something Nintendo include in future games, if they intend to continue making Metroid in this style. They should have also given the player these options in Other M ,IMO, leaving the current ones only as an option for novices.

Also, I agree that having this level of agility is not completely possible in 3D, but if it was played in 3rd person then at least there would have been room for more interesting and sophisticated moves which definitely couldn't work in first person. That's why l feel 3rd person should be the main view, with first person used for scanning and perhaps certain weapons where it is more appropriate. A lot of people hated this in Other M but I thought it worked.

Just about everything in Other M could have been fixed with a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup. An analog stick is more convenient for movement in a 3D space, the manual aiming could be done with the pointer (your suggestion of holding a button to aim diagonally would be clunky and cumbersome) and the need to switch into first person mode could be completely eliminated and be made entirely optional.

Other M's basic concept is not bad at all, but its execution was terrible in so many ways. In the end it barely resembled what a Metroid game is supposed to be which is why its sales ended up being so low. Metroid cannot be a massmarket game like Super Mario or Zelda, because some of its built-in characteristics prevent it from being so. The only way to make Metroid mainstream would require the game to cease being Metroid, but even then the chances to become popular would be very slim. The destruction of the series would be a much more likely outcome.

Hold a button to aim diagonally is what Super Metroid did (Fusion and Zero Mission too, i believe). That would merely preserve the authenticity of its glory

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Surprised this become in another "hate Other M thread". The fad will never end, it seems.

Hope this game plays again like Other M (2.5D) or maybe they should go with a third-person adventure, instead of a first-person adventure.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Yes this series needs a reboot (in the hands of a developer that has Christopher Nolans brain).