By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The forums are stagnating - what should be done about it?

Boutros said:
I think there should be a special board for veteran members because it's obviously the ones who are feeling alienated.

That's discriminatory and unworkable.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Boutros said:
I think there should be a special board for veteran members because it's obviously the ones who are feeling alienated.

Why? They already have one (or they used to) for people of the staff.

Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Do you mean the staff forums? No good discussions are going on there, or at least there were none during my time there.

Plus, the exclusive club is so much smaller.

Xen said:
Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Do you mean the staff forums? No good discussions are going on there, or at least there were none during my time there.

Section 8 could be restored, from what i've heard, that used to be the special zone

As for the topic at large, i don't see where the bitching comes from about the forum buddy. I fucking love the forum buddy, and whish every forum or comment-space on the net had one

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Section 8 could be restored, from what i've heard, that used to be the special zone

As for the topic at large, i don't see where the bitching comes from about the forum buddy. I fucking love the forum buddy, and whish every forum or comment-space on the net had one

Ah, that... that section was actually an anomaly or something. It disappearing caused some kida split between certain members and ioi.

Around the Network

I would suppose it also has to do with the fact that the forum section on the starting page (I mean that "Forum Hot Topics" column) has been getting less eye-catching over time.
The active forum users on this page of course know where it is etc., but people who haven't been actively using the forums might simply overlook it, as in its current state, the "Forum Hot Topics" section hidden on the right column of a crowded starting page simply doesn't catch match attention in my opinion. Less attention = less views.

SilentMessenger said:

You clowns still haven't gotten it right huh?

I've visited this site since 2007. Over 4 years since I first visited it. Do you know what the old VGC had? Community. Relaxation. Fun. Actual, tangible, tastable discussion. Sure, everyone complains and laments about how this was how VGC used to be. Everybody just WISHES it could be the same, just HOPES that some ounce of life gets breathed magically into the forums. Nobody tries though. Well, there are the few who do. The rest are just moping and sulking. Don't like the fucking site? Do what many did and go to NeoGAF. Still give a fuck? Then get this site back on the right path.

I may seem like a hypocrite for saying that, since I'm complaining myself. I don't care for any hypocrisy you point out.

The way I see it, there are three problems with this site that need to be fixed:

1) The disgusting site design

2) ioi's perspective of the site

3) The users

The owner of this site fucked himself over with VGC 3.0, 4.0, whevever we are now. He wanted the website to be professional and respectable.

IT'S NOT.

This site is not meant to be a professional site. It's a forum, where random people from anywhere can just come and chat, laugh, troll about sales, play Mafia, and just enjoy the experience.

Let's take everybody's favorite NeoGAF.

Wanna know why the site works?

It's functional. It has awesome users.

It doesn't fucking boggle you down with 25 different sub-boards, forum buddies, that goddamn annoying FB imitation at the bottom.

And the topics are extremely interesting. On the front page of off-topic alone are:

People you just can't stand
Piss test
What would you do if faced by this charging gorilla?
Is Chrome the best browser ever?
German is the funniest language ever

VGC, however, is boring and dry.

One page of off-topic. The only interesting one I see is the war against an alien race one. The rest is politics and debate...

GAF makes their forum work. With VGC, it's like they don't even care.

Now, the users. Everyone needs to realize that everyone here is a person, someone you can laugh and chat with, not some robot you throw your posts at and await a response for. This site has gone so downhill because of an influx of users that don't consider this. Old (or supposedly "awesome") members leave because many new users are enamored with the anonymity of the internet. Many troll, flame, and in general act retarded because they can. I always wanna have fun when I go on the internet, not rip my hair out because somebody is pissing me off... So many, many users don't care for the feelings or thoughts of others, and they don't care for the site itself. So yeah, I am in love with GAF's ban policies. If you act like a total retard or douche, you're fucking out. You're sensible and fun? You're in. (Though the imageshack thing is harsh.)

My thoughts are jumbled, but this is the main point I wanna stress: this site forgot what it is meant to be. A forum. Why do you think gamrFeed and gamrReview don't get even 20% the hits? It's because nobody gives a shit about them and poor site design makes it too annoying to go there.

ioi, you may know how to code a site, but do you know how to make one?

1.  This site isn't, has never been, and will never be just a forum.  I understand your sentiment, but the perspective it's coming from seems a bit off.  There will always be more to this site than that, but there are ways to make the forum itself just as enticing as other forums around the web, and there are ways to integrate other aspects of the site such that they won't detract from the forum.  I agree with your general line of thinking in regards to that.

2.  I agree completely with the bolded.

Xen said:
Mr Khan said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Ah, that... that section was actually an anomaly or something. It disappearing caused some kida split between certain members and ioi.

Yeah, Section 8 was actually a site fluke.  It was considered "special" because so few people knew about it, and those that did weren't keen on spreading that information around.

It wasn't really a place for veteran members so much as it was just a place for the friends of the guy that first found it.  A lot of great people never even knew it existed until well after it disappeared.

And the staff forums aren't meant to be be a general forum exclusively for staff members.  It's intended solely for the discussion of website related topics that other people aren't meant to see.  In-progress articles, moderator guidelines, etc.  Everything else is generally discussed on the main forums.

I thought this would be a good place to explain my absence over the past month and a half (as the community here is the reason I come, with the actual sales becoming less and less of a priority). It actually started with me going to the midnight premier of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. It was quite euphoric, and you could almost see the excitement in the air. Everyone was there because they loved Harry Potter, and wanted to celebrate over 10 years of books and films. It was quite the celebration.

Afterwards (the movie was excellent by the way), I actually started thinking about my time here at VGChartz and the experience I've had with the community. Are we here to celebrate this hobby of ours? I mean, despite our different "factions" of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Mobile/Etc., we're all here because of our love for video games right? We have that in common, and that common thread should unite us in some way or another.

But when I looked back I just saw all of us warring against each other, fighting for every sales scrap (Oh look, ____ sold more than ____, my team wins!) and metacritic score (____ has a better score than ____ haha!). I just want our discussions to be about how fun that new game is, or how excited we are about the new game about to be released. It's why I took over the Most Wanted articles, and also the gamrConnect Celebrates articles (although these aren't doing to well, which got me frustrated :P). I want this place to be a celebration of our hobby that we love, and not so much teams trying so hard to beat the other guys. I admit that even I get caught up in the sales figures and all of the other factors outside of the actual game itself. When that happens, I need to step back and re-figure why I love this hobby, and that's what I did.

I have to admit that in my month long leave from this place... I really didn't miss it. I got to actually sit down and play some games during the time, and didn't miss talking about their sales figures or metacritic scores or whatever. I just sat down and enjoyed them. It allowed me to get my head screwed on right, to get my priorities on my stance on gaming right. I really enjoyed myself this past month, with 100% Lego Harry Potter (a lot harder than it sounds... but ultimately satisfying), replaying and 100% Galaxy 2 ("The Perfect Run", you are one tough cookie), finishing up Ocarina of Time 3D, and going back to WarCraft III (because I can never truly leave that game. :P).

But I'm back because I love you guys too much, and because I do feel that VGC can be a boon for me when it comes to this hobby of mine. So uh... good to be back I suppose. :P

I check here once in a blue moon.

The forums here are annoying to read. Forum posts take up way too much space on the page so there is a lot of scrolling involved to skim the posts. The green forum color topic text is also just obnoxious to my eyes.

I agree with other people's comments that since the hardware war isn't really hot right now, the conversation isn't either. Given the other problems, I don't even bother to see if the self-appointed game company fanatics still run rampant.

I'll probably swing by another few months to see if the layout has changed at all. Kind of a shame, it looks like so much work went into making the site kind of a mess. I think the site has lost touch with the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.