By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The forums are stagnating - what should be done about it?

We need to capture d21lewis and force him to make thread after thread....

Only after we give him his nightly bondage session and beating.

Around the Network
Xen said:
supermario128 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
I'm sure nobody remembers me :D

I liked VGChartz better back when it looked like some 13 year old's MySpace page. :( It was a simpler time...

Of course people remember you.

Honestly, I think the only way to bring everyone back is to have another site redesign. I've said it from the start, but I still hate the design. Everything is spread out into 5 different sites when we only need one. The old site was great and everything was availiabe to you on one page. Now the news articles are terrible, the forums seem to be getting worse every day, and everyone is leaving. Ioi takes away all these features and wants people to pay for them (Of course he wants more money), but this will backfire in the end. I used to love visiting this site, and I hope someday I  can again. I highly doubt it...

Any reason you guys are still lurking?

:P

Funny, a lot of users are lurking this thread, that went away. We might even get a wild ex-user (even if everyone knows who he is) apperance. (Yes I know I am 10 days late into the party). 

And yet you still bothered to come ;)

Xen said:
And yet you still bothered to come ;)

Well, I am hyping up the rant that should be coming up soon (whenever he decides to post). Maybe it might even be quote worthy. Personally I think it will be like every other rant. 

Can't wait.

edit: Je reçois mon desirez!

Around the Network

You clowns still haven't gotten it right huh?

I've visited this site since 2007. Over 4 years since I first visited it. Do you know what the old VGC had? Community. Relaxation. Fun. Actual, tangible, tastable discussion. Sure, everyone complains and laments about how this was how VGC used to be. Everybody just WISHES it could be the same, just HOPES that some ounce of life gets breathed magically into the forums. Nobody tries though. Well, there are the few who do. The rest are just moping and sulking. Don't like the fucking site? Do what many did and go to NeoGAF. Still give a fuck? Then get this site back on the right path.

I may seem like a hypocrite for saying that, since I'm complaining myself. I don't care for any hypocrisy you point out.

The way I see it, there are three problems with this site that need to be fixed:

1) The disgusting site design

2) ioi's perspective of the site

3) The users

The owner of this site fucked himself over with VGC 3.0, 4.0, whevever we are now. He wanted the website to be professional and respectable.

IT'S NOT.

This site is not meant to be a professional site. It's a forum, where random people from anywhere can just come and chat, laugh, troll about sales, play Mafia, and just enjoy the experience.

Let's take everybody's favorite NeoGAF.

Wanna know why the site works?

It's functional. It has awesome users.

It doesn't fucking boggle you down with 25 different sub-boards, forum buddies, that goddamn annoying FB imitation at the bottom.

And the topics are extremely interesting. On the front page of off-topic alone are:

People you just can't stand
Piss test
What would you do if faced by this charging gorilla?
Is Chrome the best browser ever?
German is the funniest language ever

VGC, however, is boring and dry.

One page of off-topic. The only interesting one I see is the war against an alien race one. The rest is politics and debate...

GAF makes their forum work. With VGC, it's like they don't even care.

Now, the users. Everyone needs to realize that everyone here is a person, someone you can laugh and chat with, not some robot you throw your posts at and await a response for. This site has gone so downhill because of an influx of users that don't consider this. Old (or supposedly "awesome") members leave because many new users are enamored with the anonymity of the internet. Many troll, flame, and in general act retarded because they can. I always wanna have fun when I go on the internet, not rip my hair out because somebody is pissing me off... So many, many users don't care for the feelings or thoughts of others, and they don't care for the site itself. So yeah, I am in love with GAF's ban policies. If you act like a total retard or douche, you're fucking out. You're sensible and fun? You're in. (Though the imageshack thing is harsh.)

My thoughts are jumbled, but this is the main point I wanna stress: this site forgot what it is meant to be. A forum. Why do you think gamrFeed and gamrReview don't get even 20% the hits? It's because nobody gives a shit about them and poor site design makes it too annoying to go there.

ioi, you may know how to code a site, but do you know how to make one?

SilentMessenger said:

You clowns still haven't gotten it right huh?

I've visited this site since 2007. Over 4 years since I first visited it. Do you know what the old VGC had? Community. Relaxation. Fun. Actual, tangible, tastable discussion. Sure, everyone complains and laments about how this was how VGC used to be. Everybody just WISHES it could be the same, just HOPES that some ounce of life gets breathed magically into the forums. Nobody tries though. Well, there are the few who do. The rest are just moping and sulking. Don't like the fucking site? Do what many did and go to NeoGAF. Still give a fuck? Then get this site back on the right path.

I may seem like a hypocrite for saying that, since I'm complaining myself. I don't care for any hypocrisy you point out.

The way I see it, there are three problems with this site that need to be fixed:

1) The disgusting site design

2) ioi's perspective of the site

3) The users

The owner of this site fucked himself over with VGC 3.0, 4.0, whevever we are now. He wanted the website to be professional and respectable.

IT'S NOT.

This site is not meant to be a professional site. It's a forum, where random people from anywhere can just come and chat, laugh, troll about sales, play Mafia, and just enjoy the experience.

Let's take everybody's favorite NeoGAF.

Wanna know why the site works?

It's functional. It has awesome users.

It doesn't fucking boggle you down with 25 different sub-boards, forum buddies, that goddamn annoying FB imitation at the bottom.

And the topics are extremely interesting. On the front page of off-topic alone are:

People you just can't stand
Piss test
What would you do if faced by this charging gorilla?
Is Chrome the best browser ever?
German is the funniest language ever

VGC, however, is boring and dry.

One page of off-topic. The only interesting one I see is the war against an alien race one. The rest is politics and debate...

GAF makes their forum work. With VGC, it's like they don't even care.

Now, the users. Everyone needs to realize that everyone here is a person, someone you can laugh and chat with, not some robot you throw your posts at and await a response for. This site has gone so downhill because of an influx of users that don't consider this. Old (or supposedly "awesome") members leave because many new users are enamored with the anonymity of the internet. Many troll, flame, and in general act retarded because they can. I always wanna have fun when I go on the internet, not rip my hair out because somebody is pissing me off... So many, many users don't care for the feelings or thoughts of others, and they don't care for the site itself. So yeah, I am in love with GAF's ban policies. If you act like a total retard or douche, you're fucking out. You're sensible and fun? You're in. (Though the imageshack thing is harsh.)

My thoughts are jumbled, but this is the main point I wanna stress: this site forgot what it is meant to be. A forum. Why do you think gamrFeed and gamrReview don't get even 20% the hits? It's because nobody gives a shit about them and poor site design makes it too annoying to go there.

ioi, you may know how to code a site, but do you know how to make one?

I would agree a million times over that the off topics are better, funner and less about politics. People make jokes constantly and talk a lot of trash which is all fun. People can get away with that on a much bigger forum that takes a lot more posting to get really noticed. On here if you posted the same way a lot of people would learn to quickly hate you and remember it in such a small community.

As for GAF's gaming forum I think is sucks because I don't really care to read 300 peoples opinions on every stupid piece of gaming news, nor do I have time. The responses are often so fast it is hard to have real conversations and and with no alert system (as far as I can tell) that tells you someone responded to you, you are forced to sit in that thread and watch it rather than moving on if you want to have a conversation. All I am saying is neither site is perfect. Still I am slowly turning towards GaF because the off topic is so funny.

Why these forums are stagnating?

Because nintendo is not doing so well any more and moderation team is not as pro-nintendo as it used to be. That equals a lot less arrogant ninty fans flooding the site... :P

Everyone is complaining on how it looks, jesus effing christ, why wont you change it?

I think there should be a special board for veteran members because it's obviously the ones who are feeling alienated.