By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE Acquires Sucker Punch

Dallinor said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
This is the one success for Sony this gen. They are building a great catalog of first party studios.

I think the next step would be strengthening their image as a games publisher. Everyone knows Nintendo, but not everyone who buys Sony games know they are Sony games. People don't immediately identify Sony with quality. I didn't before I started frequenting gaming sites.

If I was them I would release them under a single brand (say Sony Games) and I would put it were it's very visible on the cover and onscreen before the game starts.

-The development and establishment of PSN.

-The relations and partnerships created with new developers outside of SCE.

There's two easy ones.

Should've said biggest success. IMO anyway.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

i was thinking of Irrational Games, yes i know they are under 2k interactive. but that studio has potential with games like bioshock and bioshock infinite and also they are working on PS vita.

Team Bondi is another good one but its highly doubtful

I gotta say, this seems pretty pointless. I only see two actual differences here:

1) Sucker Punch will no longer need to write its own paychecks.
2) Sucker Punch are no longer free to create games for the platform of their choice.

So Sony payed a bunch of money to have nothing change. We're not going to get more games, Sucker Punch isn't going to get more support (they're a big partner for Sony, there's no way they're not supported on the same level as Sony's internal studios).

Is it good because Sucker Punch can only create games for Sony platforms now? Sucker Punch themselves said this deal wouldn't change much in their daily workflow, so why is this loss of independance good?
Maybe you're such a big fan of Sony that you see this as a good thing. Insomniac decided to go multiplatform without Sony buying them up, and seeing their talents reaching audiences outside the Sony-sphere cannot possibly be a good thing.
Is it really more important to be a fan of Sony then to be a fan of gaming in general? Because that's what I'm seeing here. People are so focused on what is good for Sony and their platforms that they forget whether something is good for the industry.
What if Sucker Punch has an idea for a game that would work really well on the Wii U or Kinect, and they really want to create that game? Tough luck, you're stuck with Sony.

I know Sony is a good publisher and they support their partners and internal developers very well. So why is it so important that Sony buys its partners, rather than keeping them on as actual partners instead?

I honestly don't get this whole ordeal. Support the developers, not the publishers.

Rainbird said:
I gotta say, this seems pretty pointless. I only see two actual differences here:

2) Sucker Punch are no longer free to create games for the platform of their choice.

So Sony payed a bunch of money to have nothing change. We're not going to get more games, Sucker Punch isn't going to get more support (they're a big partner for Sony, there's no way they're not supported on the same level as Sony's internal studios).

Is it good because Sucker Punch can only create games for Sony platforms now? Sucker Punch themselves said this deal wouldn't change much in their daily workflow, so why is this loss of independance good?
Maybe you're such a big fan of Sony that you see this as a good thing. Insomniac decided to go multiplatform without Sony buying them up, and seeing their talents reaching audiences outside the Sony-sphere cannot possibly be a good thing.
Is it really more important to be a fan of Sony then to be a fan of gaming in general? Because that's what I'm seeing here. People are so focused on what is good for Sony and their platforms that they forget whether something is good for the industry.
What if Sucker Punch has an idea for a game that would work really well on the Wii U or Kinect, and they really want to create that game? Tough luck, you're stuck with Sony.

I know Sony is a good publisher and they support their partners and internal developers very well. So why is it so important that Sony buys its partners, rather than keeping them on as actual partners instead?

I honestly don't get this whole ordeal. Support the developers, not the publishers.

That's one way to look at it.

However, as Infamous 2 is not exactly lighting up the charts, a part of me feared SP would have to go multiplatform, and could have failed with a new cross-platform project, then ended up in financial trouble and ended up being picked up by the likes of EA or some other publisher, or perhaps even meeting the fate of many other developers this generation.

At least with Sony, I know they can continue to make great games, with strong backing, funding and access to all of Sony's resources, without the potential for the independent studio to run into trouble down the line. Perhaps there was interest there from other publishers, so Sony made a pre-emptive move.

As for the industry, SP were making Sony games for the last 10 years or so. It was extremely unlikely they were going to branch out to a different fanbase or platform. I think it's a great thing they're making Sony only games. As a small studio, they can focus on one platform and create great experiences. There's other, much larger studios who can cater for multiple platforms and more risky business strategies. 

You can support the industry, but I don't want an industry of all independednt studios mixing and matching platforms, I wouldn't know which system to choose. With Sony's first party getting stronger and stronger, I'm happy to stick with them.

Dallinor said:

However, as Infamous 2 is not exactly lighting up the charts, a part of me feared SP would have to go multiplatform, and could have failed with a new cross-platform project, then ended up in financial trouble and ended up being picked up by the likes of EA or some other publisher, or perhaps even meeting the fate of many other developers this generation.

At least with Sony, I know they can continue to make great games, with strong backing, funding and access to all of Sony's resources, without the potential for the independent studio to run into trouble down the line. Perhaps there was interest there from other publishers, so Sony made a pre-emptive move.

As for the industry, SP were making Sony games for the last 10 years or so. It was extremely unlikely they were going to branch out to a different fanbase or platform. I think it's a great thing they're making Sony only games. As a small studio, they can focus on one platform and create great experiences. There's other, much larger studios who can cater for multiple platforms and more risky business strategies. 

You can support the industry, but I don't want an industry of all independednt studios mixing and matching platforms, I wouldn't know which system to choose. With Sony's first party getting stronger and stronger, I'm happy to stick with them.

There's always risk in the industry, that's something we all have to deal with. But neither Sony nor Sucker Punch have made any kind of insinuation that they would have to break their relationship based on the performance of inFamous 2, and it's doing fine by the way. Sony kept wanting to make games with them after the first game, and their performances are pretty close.

And I agree that it was very unlikely they were going to branch out to a different platform, but that's only how things are at the moment. As has been noted, this pretty much changes nothing for Sucker Punch, it just means they have less freedom to choose their platform. And as a small team, they might be able to do very well on something like iOS. Look at what Chair did with Infinity Blade, it's been a huge success.

What I want is for the developers to be able to choose the right platform for their games, rather than having publishers dictate what they should and shouldn't do. I know it's not going to be that way, but I think it's a shame Sucker Punch would give up their freedom for something which basically changes nothing.

Around the Network

It's a good stuido but is this really the time for Sony to be buying stuidos? They just had a significant loss and it's not like they are under any threat for MSes or even Nintendos first party right now and it's not like Sucker Punch was going to jump ship to multiplat either, I'm sure it will pay off in the long run but sometimes I think Sony is looking a little too far ahead

Rainbird said:

Sucker Punch will not be responsible for advertising becasue it will be an externality now and part of Sony's sunk cost.

Future SP games will get first party treatment and Sony avoided another Insomniac.

All future profits belong to Sony now.

CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:
It's a good stuido but is this really the time for Sony to be buying stuidos? They just had a significant loss and it's not like they are under any threat for MSes or even Nintendos first party right now and it's not like Sucker Punch was going to jump ship to multiplat either, I'm sure it will pay off in the long run but sometimes I think Sony is looking a little too far ahead

We hear this often, how Sony can't do "x" because of [insert amount of dollars] lost. I don't think the situation is anywhere near as grim as you think.

I don't think the situation is grim, I just don't think it was a very prudent move, Sucker punch isn't going anywhere, and it will take years for Sucker Punches profits (which go to Sony now) to outweight their cost, and Sony already has the best first party it's not like they are under pressure to make more good exclusive games. So yeah back to my basic point I think Sony thinks a little to far ahead sometimes.

CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:
CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:

We hear this often, how Sony can't do "x" because of [insert amount of dollars] lost. I don't think the situation is anywhere near as grim as you think.

I don't think the situation is grim, I just don't think it was a very prudent move, Sucker punch isn't going anywhere, and it will take years for Sucker Punches profits (which go to Sony now) to outweight their cost, and Sony already has the best first party it's not like they are under pressure to make more good exclusive games. So yeah back to my basic point I think Sony thinks a little to far ahead sometimes.

Much of that can be specualted otherwise, since it's speculation anyway. If we're speaking finacicals, no Sony doesn't have the best 1st parties. That doesn't matter in the long run though and I'm sure picking up Sucker Punch wasn't a move solely based on the actions of Sony.

Your basic point was about finacials btw. If the issue were that bad, they probably wouldn't be investing in studios (which returns to my basic point).

I was speaking game output for Sony's parties (lack of which or extra cash are the only reasons I see for buying a studio) and I never said it was that bad just that the move wasn't a prudent one something you ignored, I think we've both said all we are going to say.

CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Much of that can be specualted otherwise, since it's speculation anyway. If we're speaking finacicals, no Sony doesn't have the best 1st parties. That doesn't matter in the long run though and I'm sure picking up Sucker Punch wasn't a move solely based on the actions of Sony.

Your basic point was about finacials btw. If the issue were that bad, they probably wouldn't be investing in studios (which returns to my basic point).

I was speaking game output for Sony's parties (lack of which or extra cash are the only reasons I see for buying a studio) and I never said it was that bad just that the move wasn't a prudent one something you ignored, I think we've both said all we are going to say.

Humor me, how do you know it wasn't prudent? What makes that apparent?

They recently lost money, and instead of waiting to get out of the hole (which they will) they put themselves more in the hole by buying a studio which will take years to turn a profit (but again will) that was already making exclusive games for them and wasn't going anywhere. Here's an example, lets say you are in debt, but steadily making moeny and will get out of it, instead of waiting to get out of you it put yourself in more debt by buying an asset which you won't make your money off of for several years, sure if everything goes smoothly you should come out ahead but if something bad happens in the meantime you have less of a safety net.