By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE Acquires Sucker Punch

ShadowSoldier said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Is it any wonder why Sony has so many dedicated fans? Smart move. Well played Sony. Now I await Microsoft to buy Bioware. Wait.....too late.

To this day...it boggles my mind why Microsoft didn't make that move for Bioware..especially since Bioware made so many excellent exclusive titles for MS

They seem to be doing fine enough so far

Around the Network

I always thought Sucker Punch would be a great fit for Sony. Now that means even more exclusive PS3 games.

It's time they started buying up some Japanese developers to make JRPGs.

Jay520 said:
CGI-Quality said:

We don't know how Twisted Metal will perform and Warhawk sold considerably less than HR, so I wouldn't say that those studio's games have more appeal than Quantic's just yet.

Chances are even if they acquire another studio, it may not be until the PS4-era.

True for Twisted Metal, but the series was once moderately big, sold over 2m in Americas one time. But we don't know how many fans are still waiting for another game. Warhawk sold around a million on disk and probably a fair amount digitally. It may have outsold HR. Either way, it did pretty good for how bare it was. I can see Starhawk doing bigger numbers than Warhawk.

I have my theories for Starhawk and Twisted Metal, but I'll keep those to myself as I know how you don't like "if's and maybe's"

Maybe we share the same theory. I think Starhawk will initially sell not so good, but word of mouth will grant this title amazing legs.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

CGI-Quality said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
This is the one success for Sony this gen. They are building a great catalog of first party studios.

I think the next step would be strengthening their image as a games publisher. Everyone knows Nintendo, but not everyone who buys Sony games know they are Sony games. People don't immediately identify Sony with quality. I didn't before I started frequenting gaming sites.

If I was them I would release them under a single brand (say Sony Games) and I would put it were it's very visible on the cover and onscreen before the game starts.

I disagree heavily with that. In fact, that's been Sony's strong suit; they ARE associated with quality. A better look at it would be to say not everyone affiliates some of the PS3's quality exclusives with SCE, and only because they don't make it as apparent as Nintendo does with their in-house studios.

Nevertheless, Sony has always bought 2-3 devs close to the end of any generation. This is following that pattern.

People who frequent gaming forums like us do associate Sony with quality gaming. But if you ask my uncle or my cousin they don't. They do know Nintendo, though. I have the feeling that this is true for many people, they don't say 'hey, it's a Sony game!'

I think they should make their brand better known.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Silver-Tiger said:
?

Maybe we share the same theory. I think Starhawk will initially sell not so good, but word of mouth will grant this title amazing legs.

I see something like 3 - 400k FW and maybe 1.8 - 2.2m lifetime.

Around the Network
Silver-Tiger said:
Jay520 said:
CGI-Quality said:

We don't know how Twisted Metal will perform and Warhawk sold considerably less than HR, so I wouldn't say that those studio's games have more appeal than Quantic's just yet.

Chances are even if they acquire another studio, it may not be until the PS4-era.

True for Twisted Metal, but the series was once moderately big, sold over 2m in Americas one time. But we don't know how many fans are still waiting for another game. Warhawk sold around a million on disk and probably a fair amount digitally. It may have outsold HR. Either way, it did pretty good for how bare it was. I can see Starhawk doing bigger numbers than Warhawk.

I have my theories for Starhawk and Twisted Metal, but I'll keep those to myself as I know how you don't like "if's and maybe's"

How come you think Starhawk won't initially sell good?

Jay520 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Is it any wonder why Sony has so many dedicated fans? Smart move. Well played Sony. Now I await Microsoft to buy Bioware. Wait.....too late.

To this day...it boggles my mind why Microsoft didn't make that move for Bioware..especially since Bioware made so many excellent exclusive titles for MS

They seem to be doing fine enough so far
u

Bioware is fine. Microsoft lost a lot of secure quality titles they couldve had and had ownership to the IP's.

Waste of money....unless there's a rocket robot on wheels PSN remake.

ElGranCabeza said:
Waste of money....unless there's a rocket robot on wheels PSN remake.

No, the dev will most likely be granted an increased budget for their future games.

maverick40 said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Excellent news, this has made my day. Sony are making great decisions as of late. I love sucker punch.

Wow really? It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have, actually this news has little to no impact on you unless they were planning to go multiplat, which I doubt after all thsi time.

OT: I thought they already were 1st party! But makes sense to buy if they wern't.

As a writer and admin of this site, I think it is shocking that you thought they were first party.

"It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have"

The same could have been said for Insomniac but look what happened there. There was no indication at all that sucker punch was going to continue to make games exclusively for Sony.

OT: This is great news, another fantastic 1st part studio for Sony. They have an amazing list and it is ever expanding.

What the hell is my staff status got to do with knowing Sony 1st party studios? Really don't talk rubbish, it's nothing to do with my work.

There was no indication they wernt either.

The fact that if someone is a writer on a videogame website, you think he might actually know the goings on in the industry. There was no indication that they were 1st party either....ever.

Actually they were effectively working as a 2nd party developer since 2001, they signed a deal with Sony after their first game and all their following games were Sony owned properties.  Sony funded their games and owned the IPs.