By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE Acquires Sucker Punch

My thought of Sucker Punch has changed drastically after Infamous 2 , I can put a lot of faith into them right now , they are definitely capable of making high quality games , and now with full support from Sony I can expect masterpieces, Good move Sony .... now go acquire RPGs-making studio .

Around the Network

To those saying Sony should purchase more Japanese studios, I think it's clear their main focus lies with the western gaming market. SCE has expanded and grown considerably in the past few years. It may not have been such a priority or agenda for Sony at the start of the generation, with their past reliance on third parties, but their actions have shown that they intend on expanding even further, whether as a direct result of the shift in the market, or down to a plan Sony have simply to bolster their gaming division for the future.

I wonder though, how many studios do they plan to take on board? I thought MM was an intelligent and sure acquisition, especially considering their size, but that was a small acquisition and I thought Sony would stop there for at least a few more years.

In some regards, because of the lack of success and layoffs at Zipper this generation, taking on another studio in NA makes sense.

LivingMetal said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Excellent news, this has made my day. Sony are making great decisions as of late. I love sucker punch.

Wow really? It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have, actually this news has little to no impact on you unless they were planning to go multiplat, which I doubt after all thsi time.

OT: I thought they already were 1st party! But makes sense to buy if they wern't.

As a writer and admin of this site, I think it is shocking that you thought they were first party.

"It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have"

The same could have been said for Insomniac but look what happened there. There was no indication at all that sucker punch was going to continue to make games exclusively for Sony.

OT: This is great news, another fantastic 1st part studio for Sony. They have an amazing list and it is ever expanding.

What the hell is my staff status got to do with knowing Sony 1st party studios? Really don't talk rubbish, it's nothing to do with my work.

There was no indication they wernt either.

Bottom line, be more professional or at least act like it.  This site represents gaming.  You should represent gaming, not a constant downplay of pro-Sony new just because you favor the Xbox 360.

Finally someone sees what he is doing. It is starting to annoy me that he gets away with this the whole time. I said was this news made my day and he tried to belittle me. In fairness though, I am not suprised. 

great move. bring on sly 4 and a new ip

i also believe QD should be owned by sony

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

This is the one success for Sony this gen. They are building a great catalog of first party studios.

I think the next step would be strengthening their image as a games publisher. Everyone knows Nintendo, but not everyone who buys Sony games know they are Sony games. People don't immediately identify Sony with quality. I didn't before I started frequenting gaming sites.

If I was them I would release them under a single brand (say Sony Games) and I would put it were it's very visible on the cover and onscreen before the game starts.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

This is good news for Sony I guess. Like Insomniacs, maybe Sony were afraid Sucker Punch would would go multiplatform.

This is also good news for gamers if this means a bigger team and a bigger budget for all of their future games.

So as of now, they have six first-party devs who all have and probably will make multi-million selling games: Polphony Digital, Santa Monica, Naught Dog, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule, and now Sucker Punch.

maverick40 said:
LivingMetal said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Seece said:
maverick40 said:
Excellent news, this has made my day. Sony are making great decisions as of late. I love sucker punch.

Wow really? It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have, actually this news has little to no impact on you unless they were planning to go multiplat, which I doubt after all thsi time.

OT: I thought they already were 1st party! But makes sense to buy if they wern't.

As a writer and admin of this site, I think it is shocking that you thought they were first party.

"It's not as if you're gonna get any new exclusives you wouldn't have"

The same could have been said for Insomniac but look what happened there. There was no indication at all that sucker punch was going to continue to make games exclusively for Sony.

OT: This is great news, another fantastic 1st part studio for Sony. They have an amazing list and it is ever expanding.

What the hell is my staff status got to do with knowing Sony 1st party studios? Really don't talk rubbish, it's nothing to do with my work.

There was no indication they wernt either.

Bottom line, be more professional or at least act like it.  This site represents gaming.  You should represent gaming, not a constant downplay of pro-Sony new just because you favor the Xbox 360.

Finally someone sees what he is doing. It is starting to annoy me that he gets away with this the whole time. I said was this news made my day and he tried to belittle me. In fairness though, I am not suprised. 

Though I agree with your point, in Seece's defense, he's focused on Microsoft and their acquisitions, and he didn't downplay Sony in his post at all. I don't expect the die-hard Sony fans to know every studio of MS and Nintendo either. There are enough other stuff members who are firm in Sony's business.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

I think they'll buy QD after another major game. Fahrenheit was good, but nothing exceptional. HR was great, but I'm sure Sony is thinking what if that was a fluke?

I can honestly see Sony buying Eat,Sleep,Play or LightBox before QD simply because their current projects appear to have more appeal.

Jay520 said:
I think they'll buy QD after another major game. Fahrenheit was good, but nothing exceptional. HR was great, but I'm sure Sony is thinking what if that was a fluke?

I can honestly see Sony buying Eat,Sleep,Play or LightBox before QD simply because their current projects appear to have more appeal.

well I think none of those three companies wants to be bought out.

CGI-Quality said:
Jay520 said:

We don't know how Twisted Metal will perform and Warhawk sold considerably less than HR, so I wouldn't say that those studio's games have more appeal than Quantic's just yet.

Chances are even if they acquire another studio, it may not be until the PS4-era.

In fairness of WarHawk though, we can't accurately gauge if it did sell less then HR because of digital sales. It's been available on PSN  for a long time and even was priced at 14.99 for a bit too. It wouldn't be too far fetched to think of it as close to HR in sales.