By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCE Acquires Sucker Punch

CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Humor me, how do you know it wasn't prudent? What makes that apparent?

They recently lost money, and instead of waiting to get out of the hole (which they will) they put themselves more in the hole by buying a studio which will take years to turn a profit (but again will) that was already making exclusive games for them and wasn't going anywhere. Here's an example, lets say you are in debt, but steadily making moeny and will get out of it, instead of waiting to get out of you it put yourself in more debt by buying an asset which you won't make your money off of for several years, sure if everything goes smoothly you should come out ahead but if something bad happens in the meantime you have less of a safety net.

But wouldn't you agree that much of what you're saying is more speculative than truth? I mean, it's never that simple; losing money in one faucet doesn't mean all faucets are down for the count. Besides, being a multi-billion dollar company that makes back much of what they lost on game sales, 191 million won't be very hard to deal with (especially compared to the billions lost between 2006 & 2009).

Therefore, nothing makes it apparent that the buyout wasn't prudent and since they haven't appeared to have much trouble acquiring companies and staying afloat, I think things will be fine in the future.

They already aquired several studios recently though, and they should be fine but they have less of a safety net then they did before and a prudent move is doing something that increases your margin for error not decreases it.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
BrokenBones646 said:
CGI-Quality said:

But wouldn't you agree that much of what you're saying is more speculative than truth? I mean, it's never that simple; losing money in one faucet doesn't mean all faucets are down for the count. Besides, being a multi-billion dollar company that makes back much of what they lost on game sales, 191 million won't be very hard to deal with (especially compared to the billions lost between 2006 & 2009).

Therefore, nothing makes it apparent that the buyout wasn't prudent and since they haven't appeared to have much trouble acquiring companies and staying afloat, I think things will be fine in the future.

They already aquired several studios recently though, and they should be fine but they have less of a safety net then they did before and a prudent move is doing something that increases your margin for error not decreases it.

It's the nature of their business, especially so close to the end of a gen. You keep saying the move wasn't prudent but such an assumption isn't currently apparent. That's all I'm saying, it's specualtive at best.

We seem to be arguing semantics now so I'm just going to stop 

Teo said:

Sucker Punch will not be responsible for advertising becasue it will be an externality now and part of Sony's sunk cost.

Future SP games will get first party treatment and Sony avoided another Insomniac.

All future profits belong to Sony now.

All future profits belong to Sony, that's true, now we just need to know how long it will take before the investment is recouped. Sucker Punch is already a second party developer, meaning they already get the stuff I crossed over.

And what's wrong with Insomniac going multiplatform? Insomniac wanted to create games for other platforms, they wanted to try developing for the 360. Why should they be held back? Is it not better that they get to create the games they want to, rather than be stuck with a goal they can't attain? I would think it's more important that the developers get to create the games they want than to have a publisher hold them back.

Everyone is wanting Sony to buy Quantic Dreams, but with the recent rumor that Take-Two is looking for a buyer (the main source for this rumor is this very site...so it's likely false) I think Sony should do everything they can to get the RockStar branch.

Jay520 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Jay520 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Waste of money....unless there's a rocket robot on wheels PSN remake.

No, the dev will most likely be granted an increased budget for their future games.

If there is no rocket robot on wheels remake on PSN then this purchase was a waste of money and everyone's time.

Nobody cares about rocket robot on wheels.... deal with it!

You != the world young man. Get that in your head.

Rocket robot on wheels is the best game SP has ever made. 

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
Everyone is wanting Sony to buy Quantic Dreams, but with the recent rumor that Take-Two is looking for a buyer (the main source for this rumor is this very site...so it's likely false) I think Sony should do everything they can to get the RockStar branch.

If Sony even thinks about making a bid for T2, MS will go to their back pocket and offer twice as much in a heartbeat.

CGI-Quality said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Jay520 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Jay520 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Waste of money....unless there's a rocket robot on wheels PSN remake.

No, the dev will most likely be granted an increased budget for their future games.

If there is no rocket robot on wheels remake on PSN then this purchase was a waste of money and everyone's time.

Nobody cares about rocket robot on wheels.... deal with it!

You != the world young man. Get that in your head.

Rocket robot on wheels is the best game SP has ever made. 

It's ironic that you try to tell him his opinion =/= the world, but then say something as if it's fact. Bottom line, Rocket: Robot on Wheels may not have been anything they cared much to continue, and if they decide to bring the IP back, future titles will be Sony exclusives. Maybe Nintendo has a say in Rocket, which is why we never saw it continued on PS2. Who knows...

Do you wanna follow me on twitter? Because you're always on my jock.

If the new Twisted Metal hits 1.5M Eat Sleep Play is next I'm sure. I wish Sony bought Crash Bandicoot rights because I really miss the guy of course Naughty Dog has moved on from Crash but there others talented studios and a new Crash for Vita will make me crap my pants.

ElGranCabeza said:
Tridrakious said:

If Sony even thinks about making a bid for T2, MS will go to their back pocket and offer twice as much in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying Take-Two. I'm saying RockStar and Sony can offer more than just money.

CGI-Quality said:
ElGranCabeza said:
CGI-Quality said:

It's ironic that you try to tell him his opinion =/= the world, but then say something as if it's fact. Bottom line, Rocket: Robot on Wheels may not have been anything they cared much to continue, and if they decide to bring the IP back, future titles will be Sony exclusives. Maybe Nintendo has a say in Rocket, which is why we never saw it continued on PS2. Who knows...

Do you wanna follow me on twitter? Because you're always on my jock.

I can't recall a time you've ever had a debate without some nonsense like this. Oh well, it's just further confirmation that your arguments either don't make sense or have no strength.

Just get off my nuts will you?