By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: 'Still a Pain in the Ass' for Developers

IamAwsome said:
Omac said:
Griffin said:
Kynes said:
First parties have a luxury that third parties don't. They only work with one console. People don't seem to understand after four years that developing a multiplatform is a completely different thing than optimizing for the strengths of one console.

Its amazing how most developers have no problems with the PS3, infact many games look or perform better on the PS3.  One would assume this would be the developers lack of skill and not the fault of the system.

More look and perform better on the 360

You are right, more games do perform better on the 360, but that is beause only the best devs can get the best performance out of the PS3, not to mention the PS3's split RAM, and the 360' unified RAM. Take Treyarch vs IW for example as someone else already pointed out. 

If a particular game looks better on the 360, it's because the developer's aren't very talented, or just did a half-assed job, because we know that the PS3 can do better. (See Black Ops)

Still most Muliplats perform better on 360. How the ram works gives more flexiblity.  Both systems are on par with each other. 360 has positives and negatives as does the PS3.  The developers are not lazy, they are making a multiplatform game and not an exclusive.

Around the Network

He's just saying there are issues that are more complicated with developing on PS3 that they have to think about, not that they are having major problems with it. As an artist working in games, I know very well that little quirks of various platforms can become annoying if it adds extra steps to getting an asset in-game.

By the way, he's not using 10 x 24 textures. We just say "ten twenty-four" or 1k and expect people to understand that we mean 1024 x 1024.

Currently playing: Gran Turismo 5
Just finished:
Infamous 2

IamAwsome said:

You are right, more games do perform better on the 360, but that is beause only the best devs can get the best performance out of the PS3, not to mention the PS3's split RAM, and the 360' unified RAM. Take Treyarch vs IW for example as someone else already pointed out. 

If a particular game looks better on the 360, it's because the developer's aren't very talented, or just did a half-assed job, because we know that the PS3 can do better. (See Black Ops)

No it's just given the same time and attention as long as you don't max out the 360 before the game is finished performance will be better on 360, because the 360 is easier to dev for and developers have an extra year of experiance.

Think of it like there are two evenly matched jockeys in a race one riding an average horse (360) that is well trained and the other riding a faster wild stallion (PS3) that bucks off the rider every few minutes. Which one do you think will win the race? 

So given the anology if both platforms are given = attention the 360 will beat or draw the PS3, but if the time is taken to tame the stallion it will win (first party devs) not because the Dev is better but because they have more time to tame the beast. But when you are making a multiplatform game that will often sell better or the same on 360 it's not worth putting extra time into the PS3, not because the devs are crap but because money and time is finite.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Well yeah, the PS3 is difficult to program for, we knew that already. It may not be a problem for those that develop exclusively for PS3 but it's more problematic for multiplatform development.

That quote from Hirai is pretty stupid. Having a easy to develop for system doesn't mean that the first games will be "perfect" leaving no room for further improvement. The 360 is easy to program for and yet we have seen significant improvement since launch. How can that be!?
If the PS3 had been easier to program for chances are that more PS3 versions of multiplatform games would had been on the same level as the 360 versions, or above them.

Final Fantasy 13 says "Wut chu talkin' bout Willis?"

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

well... even with the slim the PS3 is still a pretty big thing to shove up in the ass...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Ajescent said:

A port, which development began when the PS3 version was almost complete, and made in months?

We're talking about normal games, developed in parallel, and with the same resources in time and money. I reckon that in that circumstances, 95% of them would look on par or better on the 360.

Oh, I was using it as an example of 3rd parties not having issues with the ps3. If SE can make FF13 look that good perhaps maybe it's everyone else's approach that's the issue not the PS3 itself...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

CGI-Quality said:
Ajescent said:

Better examples are games made in parallel. In situations like that, the 360 still has a higher percentage of better performing titles, but in recent cases, such as BRINK, the PS3 holds the advantage (ironic, seeing as Splash Damage said the PS3 was harder to develop for as well).

The PS3 will always be harder to develop for, while being the moderately stronger console between the two. Only 1st party devs will truly exploit the strength of the system, which rests solely on the shoulders of Sony. The Vita looks like a new direction for them though, which is great, so maybe future devices won't be such a pain to work with.

Thank God someone who actaully understands the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two consoles.

I fear for the children of today they use technology like second nature but are ignorant of the technical aspects of said technology.

That's tough to make a dev feel that way after working on Sony's console for five years.