By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: 'Still a Pain in the Ass' for Developers

I remember having this debate in previous years, and I thought it was evident that the 360 is only easier to develop for because it is closer to PC architecture etc. and therefore easier for people to understand without being experienced in the console.

To oversimplify, a PC developer looks at the 360 and says "I can work with this", and looks at the PS3 and says "WTF is this?"

That's why fewer developers have trouble with the PS3 anymore. That and they aren't doing it first on the 360 and worrying about the PS3 later, the opposite of which happened with FFXIII.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:

I remember having this debate in previous years, and I thought it was evident that the 360 is only easier to develop for because it is closer to PC architecture etc. and therefore easier for people to understand without being experienced in the console.

To oversimplify, a PC developer looks at the 360 and says "I can work with this", and looks at the PS3 and says "WTF is this?"

That's why fewer developers have trouble with the PS3 anymore. That and they aren't doing it first on the 360 and worrying about the PS3 later, the opposite of which happened with FFXIII.

That's the point I was trying to make. Rather than trying to argue it's too hard to build for, why not focus more attention on it?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
Final-Fan said:

That's the point I was trying to make. Rather than trying to argue it's too hard to build for, why not focus more attention on it?

Because attention means time and money, which are finite resources. It's not a healthy business decision to devote much more resources to the smaller pond of users, and devote less resources to the bigger pond. Sony believed that they would have a healthy margin in market share, as in the last generation, so developers would focus in their architecture.

Sony seems content with how they have developed their hardware, citing the need to keep a ten-year lifecycle for the PS3.  Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai even confirmed the difficulties of working with the PS3.

"It's hard to program for, and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer," Hirai stated in February 2009 to the Official PlayStation Magazine. "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

That man is king of the damage control with statements like that.

Kynes said:
Ajescent said:
Final-Fan said:

Because attention means time and money, which are finite resources. It's not a healthy business decision to devote much more resources to the smaller pond of users, and devote less resources to the bigger pond. Sony believed that they would have a healthy margin in market share, as in the last generation, so developers would focus in their architecture.

Here's a novel idea. Do the research once and you never have to do it again, that way you won't constantly be faced with the hardship after 5 long years!! If they were making a one off game without any plans of visiting the ps3 ever again, I would see the logic but if you plan to visit them more than once then I recommend you do the work.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

Uhh Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, and Guerella Games don't seem to have an issue.

well lately multiplats have been favouring ps3 like portal 2,shadow of damned, L.A noire,brink etc....look if this developers can produce a better ps3 counter part then its why cant these ppl do the same and quit moaning like a little girl?

besides!

darksiders was running better on ps3 if im not mistaken 360 had screen tearing issues so WTF WHY IS THIS GUY WHINING NOW? they already produced a game on ps3 that runs fine before.....

blkfish92 said:

They are not multiplat. First party games. 

Omac said:
blkfish92 said:

That's not relevant they still develop on the ps3 no problem maybe other developers should take note and ask questions.

blkfish92 said:
Omac said:
blkfish92 said:

That's not relevant they still develop on the ps3 no problem maybe other developers should take note and ask questions.

If you think that being a multiplat or an exclusive isn't relevant to the development, then you know nothing of programming, and your opinion means zilch in this conversation.