By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: 'Still a Pain in the Ass' for Developers

Griffin said:
Omac said:
Griffin said:
Kynes said:
First parties have a luxury that third parties don't. They only work with one console. People don't seem to understand after four years that developing a multiplatform is a completely different thing than optimizing for the strengths of one console.

Its amazing how most developers have no problems with the PS3, infact many games look or perform better on the PS3.  One would assume this would be the developers lack of skill and not the fault of the system.

More look and perform better on the 360

Exactly my point, the industry is filled with studies that are below average and this proves that.  If the 360 was truly better then the exclusive games by first parties would be better looking on the 360.  But its the exact opposite,  proving my point that its the developers lack of skill and not the system.

Lets look at CoD,  CoD4, pretty close across both systems with each doing certain things better.  MW2 vastly better looking then CoD4 but it looks great on both systems with little difference.  Now lets look at Black ops, better looking and at a much higher resolution on the 360, but the game looks much worse then MW2.   Just proving the point that devopers with poor skill can't make games.  IW much more talented then Treyarch.

Hardly. The PS3 is difficult to create games for and only marginally more powerful than the 360, so getting parity between the two platforms can require a bigger investment than some studios/publishers can afford or are willing to give. The reason something like God of War III and Uncharted 2 looks phenomenal is because their developers are hugely talented and they don't have to concern themselves with other platforms.

Sony screwed up with the PS3, because they have a machine that needlessly is difficult to create games for, without any tangible benefits. Fortunately they seem to be going in a new direction, if the Move and Vita are anything to go by.

Around the Network
Griffin said:
Kynes said:
First parties have a luxury that third parties don't. They only work with one console. People don't seem to understand after four years that developing a multiplatform is a completely different thing than optimizing for the strengths of one console.

Its amazing how most developers have no problems with the PS3, infact many games look or perform better on the PS3.  One would assume this would be the developers lack of skill and not the fault of the system.

Are you being serious....

Its amazing how most developers have no problems with the PS3.......Link please

Many games look or perform better on the PS3.......Link please

I own all three consoles and although some first party titles on the PS3 are excellent examples of what can be done, by and large I find the Multi platform games look and play poorly on the PS3.

I'm slightly dissapointed that the GPU in the PS3 doesnt seem to be capable of some of the Post processing effects employed on the Radeon GPU in the 360 but I can deal with this. Partnering Nvidia was a poor choice by SONY. A choice they seem to be rectifying with the PS4 if rumours are accurate.

What really gets me is the god awful amount of screen tearing on the PS3 on nearly all multi plat games. I readily accept that I may just be sensitive to the issue but I find it terribly distracting.

Griffin said:
Kynes said:

Your kidding right?

God of Uncharted Harry Potter 3 War

In other words the same thing that has been said since the PS3 launched, it's more powerful than the 360 but it's also harder to get the performance out of it.

Or in the words of John Carmack “PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20% easier to develop on is much more important than being 20% more powerful.”

Which is why multiplats are usually better on 360

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
In other words the same thing that has been said since the PS3 launched, it's more powerful than the 360 but it's also harder to get the performance out of it.

Or in the words of John Carmack “PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20% easier to develop on is much more important than being 20% more powerful.”

Which is why multiplats are usually better on 360

SDF with posts as "John Carmack Who?" in 3,2,1...

they should have go see doctor... xD

Cypher1980 said:
Griffin said:
Kynes said:

Are you being serious....

Its amazing how most developers have no problems with the PS3.......Link please

Many games look or perform better on the PS3.......Link please

I own all three consoles and although some first party titles on the PS3 are excellent examples of what can be done, by and large I find the Multi platform games look and play poorly on the PS3.

I'm slightly dissapointed that the GPU in the PS3 doesnt seem to be capable of some of the Post processing effects employed on the Radeon GPU in the 360 but I can deal with this. Partnering Nvidia was a poor choice by SONY. A choice they seem to be rectifying with the PS4 if rumours are accurate.

What really gets me is the god awful amount of screen tearing on the PS3 on nearly all multi plat games. I readily accept that I may just be sensitive to the issue but I find it terribly distracting.

WHAT REALLY GETS ME is the god awful load of bullshit in this statement....nearly ALL multiplat on ps3?HA who you trying to convince with that bullshit?

Omac said:
Griffin said:
Kynes said:

You are right, more games do perform better on the 360, but that is beause only the best devs can get the best performance out of the PS3, not to mention the PS3's split RAM, and the 360' unified RAM. Take Treyarch vs IW for example as someone else already pointed out. 

If a particular game looks better on the 360, it's because the developer's aren't very talented, or just did a half-assed job, because we know that the PS3 can do better. (See Black Ops)

IamAwsome said:
Omac said:
Griffin said:
Kynes said:

You are right, more games do perform better on the 360, but that is beause only the best devs can get the best performance out of the PS3, not to mention the PS3's split RAM, and the 360' unified RAM. Take Treyarch vs IW for example as someone else already pointed out. 

If a particular game looks better on the 360, it's because the developer's aren't very talented, or just did a half-assed job, because we know that the PS3 can do better. (See Black Ops)

It's funny how most forumers know more of gaming development than Carmack or all the developers that say the same. Only first party Sony developers deserve the "great developers" moniker, but most third party developers are lazy or not very talented.