By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo First-Party 'Vastly Superior' to Microsoft, Sony

Industrygamers

Nintendo has a veritable gold mine of intellectual property. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon and others would make any game company envious. That said, in a recent interview Xbox CFO Dennis Durkin said that Microsoft's first-party has been better than anyone's. Now Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter has disputed Durkin's claim.

Speaking in a soon-to-be-published column on IndustryGamers, Pachter commented, "Dennis is a great guy, and is paid to be loyal to his Microsoft family. I think Nintendo's first-party content is vastly superior to either other console manufacturer's, and don't think that either Sony or Microsoft would really dispute that."

He added, "As far as who is better, Sony or Microsoft, I'm not sure why anyone cares about my opinion. I have all three consoles, and love Sony first party titles like God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Little Big Planet and the upcoming Twisted Metal, and I love Microsoft first party titles like Halo, Forza, Fable, Alan Wake and Gears. I'm sure that there is a scientific way to determine who is better, but that's like arguing about whether Ford is better than GM or whether Wal-Mart is better than Target. They're both good, and people have different tastes."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-first-party-vastly-superior-to-microsoft-sony/

Around the Network

Patcher said that? O_o
You have to put that on the thread title, it's a guaranteed hit!

Well by sales, Nintendo wins, and if its about subjectivity, then its anyone's game.

Yeah that's cause they bundle the shit out of every game. Without those bundles there nothing. And of course the cheap price. Which doesn't seem to have effect now (losing to PS3 in Americas aka it's worst region)

That all depends on which side you prefer which is why its always stupid when people say things like that. To me Sonys First Party line up is the best because it caters to almost everything I want. To a Nintendo fan its Nintendo for the same reasons. Sales don't mean squat to a gamer because they ain't the ones profiting off them and there is many games out there that sold millions but sucked and many games that are absolute gems but didn't really sell much.

So yeah Patchers website must need the hits

Around the Network

awww man...I thought it was someone high-up in nintendo, would;ve made this alot more interesting...

OT: this gen, I don't think so, of all time: a definite yes.

now wait's for Sony's PR :p

Pachter thinks in terms of $$$ and business sense, so this pro Nintendo comment isn't a surprise at all, it's only people ignorant to him that would be surprised.

Pachters got it wrong. Gears is a third party title published by Microsoft. It's not first party. Secondly the strengths of each companies games.

1. Nintendo: Has strong first party IP's that have been established for over twenty years.
2. Sony: Has strong first party IP's that have been around for over a decade and counting. Sonys strong point is that they continue to make new IP's.
3. Microsoft: Very little first party, but are strong with the third party crowd.

RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:
Yeah that's cause they bundle the shit out of every game. Without those bundles there nothing. And of course the cheap price. Which doesn't seem to have effect now (losing to PS3 in Americas aka it's worst region)

First party software sales for the three companies are approximately:

Nintendo: 350 million

Microsoft: 90 million

Sony: 90 million

I didn't bother to look them up, but that's about what they are. Remove 170 million of bundled games from Nintendo's tally for ease of calculation (two games per console sold) and you still have twice as many games sold by Nintendo than either Microsoft or Sony.

Incredible for MS and Sony to be tied!

i couldn't agree with Patcher more?

it's all about taste and i'd argue that PC has a better library then MS, Nintendo, or Sony which in some weird twist makes Sony and MS (only cause they make PC's) have a better library.

look up Wikipedia and you'll see MS has more IP then you'd think but the problem is they don't support them.

if the Big 3 would make/release new games from all there IP then we'd really see something now wouldn't we!