By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - AMD: Xbox 720 graphics will look like Avatar

It'll be the first generation since the SNES that the most powerful console (Xbox 1080) will also be the market leader.

Around the Network

Wonder how the PS4 graphics will look like.. Anyways I will be getting a 720 whenever a Halo comes out for it.

This movie looks like fucking shit. Don't tell me that a Wii couldn't render that, because it could. My brother's ancient computer with a Radeon HD 4870 could render this. Toy Story is not visually impressive. At all.

The only way I can see that this kind of visuals could happen in the comfort of my living room, is if/when they manage to put quantum computing inside a console.

And that won't happen any time soon.

I could agree that the next gen will come really close to it, from the looks only.  Not from a technical point of view.  But who cares about the technicalities, right? :D

@ SNESBoy:  You're really kidding yourself if you think the Wii could render anything remotely ressembling Toy Story.

The PS3 and 360 can't even handle it...

http://youtu.be/GPBqrkXviRw

If you were sarcastic and my Sarcasm Radar malfunctioned, then my apologies.

Dr.Grass said:
Maybe MS bought out these guys? If they patent that type of software then no-one will be able to compete.

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/

That's pretty damn impresive. Great find. This "new technology for making realtime 3D graphics" coupled with next gen hardware makes Avatar level graphics more than plausible. It's not far fetched to suggest that Microsoft might be securing the rights for this tech. All of a sudden one thing became certain, AMD obviously knows something we don't. 

Around the Network
Snesboy said:

This movie looks like fucking shit. Don't tell me that a Wii couldn't render that, because it could. My brother's ancient computer with a Radeon HD 4870 could render this. Toy Story is not visually impressive. At all.

No the Wii really could not do that, and even the XBox 360 and PS3 would struggle to match the polygon and texture detail while producing similar lighting effects with similar anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering at a resolution of 480p ...

Sony's claim was based on Toy Story rendered 2 Million polygons per frame and the PS2 had theoritical performance of 66 Million polygons per second (or roughly 2 Million polygons per frame at 30fpx). The PS2's real word performance with lower quality texturing and effects was around 6 to 9 million polygons per second (200,000 to 300,000 polygons per frame), and most HD console games are only rendering (roughly) 1 Million polygons per frame.

MaulerX said:
Dr.Grass said:
Maybe MS bought out these guys? If they patent that type of software then no-one will be able to compete.

That's pretty damn impresive. Great find. This "new technology for making realtime 3D graphics" coupled with next gen hardware makes Avatar level graphics more than plausible. It's not far fetched to suggest that Microsoft might be securing the rights for this tech. All of a sudden one thing became certain, AMD obviously knows something we don't. 

My buddy is a programmer and he showed me this a year and a half ago. Interesting thing happened then: I contacted them and asked them 2 questions:

1. Why is there no wikipedia entry for their technology or company.

2. If it is possible to invest in their product.

The reply came swiftly and made it quite clear that they need no funding whatsoever. They said I could make a Wiki entry if I wanted. Since then the website has hardly grown, and you have to wonder what has happened in the last 2 years if this is actually legit.

HappySqurriel said:
Snesboy said:

No the Wii really could not do that, and even the XBox 360 and PS3 would struggle to match the polygon and texture detail while producing similar lighting effects with similar anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering at a resolution of 480p ...

Sony's claim was based on Toy Story rendered 2 Million polygons per frame and the PS2 had theoritical performance of 66 Million polygons per second (or roughly 2 Million polygons per frame at 30fpx). The PS2's real word performance with lower quality texturing and effects was around 6 to 9 million polygons per second (200,000 to 300,000 polygons per frame), and most HD console games are only rendering (roughly) 1 Million polygons per frame.

Fine...you win.

But I'm still allowed to hate Toy Story.

Dr.Grass said:
MaulerX said:
Dr.Grass said:

My buddy is a programmer and he showed me this a year and a half ago. Interesting thing happened then: I contacted them and asked them 2 questions:

The reply came swiftly and made it quite clear that they need no funding whatsoever. They said I could make a Wiki entry if I wanted. Since then the website has hardly grown, and you have to wonder what has happened in the last 2 years if this is actually legit.

Look at the their technology comparison video http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/videos.html

Torward the end the narrator states:

"The future for Unlimited Detail is unknown. One of 2 things is going to happen. Either we join with one of the major players, ATI, Intel, Nvidia (I'm not going to say what the situation is with any of them), or due to internal politics, that does not end up happening in which case it is our intention to become a software alternative."

Now, if AMD (the owners of ATI) or any one else struck a deal with these guys, I very much doubt you will see it in their website (as part of any agreement they may have conjured up). I'm positive this "new tech" is just not going to be allowed to go to waste. In fact, I would not be surprised if a deal was already struck between AMD and Unlimited Detail.

MaulerX said:
Dr.Grass said:
MaulerX said:
Dr.Grass said:

Look at the their technology comparison video http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/videos.html

Torward the end the narrator states:

"The future for Unlimited Detail is unknown. One of 2 things is going to happen. Either we join with one of the major players, ATI, Intel, Nvidia (I'm not going to say what the situation is with any of them), or due to internal politics, that does not end up happening in which case it is our intention to become a software alternative."

Now, if AMD (the owners of ATI) or any one else struck a deal with these guys, I very much doubt you will see it in their website (as part of any agreement they may have conjured up). I'm positive this "new tech" is just not going to be allowed to go to waste. In fact, I would not be surprised if a deal was already struck between AMD and Unlimited Detail.

That might be part of the cover-up. If X720 launches with this type of tech then  MS will pwn Sony.

This was all just a tentative suggestion though. I really don't want to argue about it - Otherwise I would've made a thread about it a year and a half ago when I first checked those vids.