By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - AMD: Xbox 720 graphics will look like Avatar

$2500 Xbox 720

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network

Well who knows... if you take a look back to 2005 for example, we had games like Resident Evil 4 and Gran Turismo 4 pushing the current systems to the max in terms of visuals, and then in the fall of that year the 360 was released with a pretty underwhelming launch library of basically current-gen games with HD skins like Madden, Need for Speed and King Kong, and even system exclusives like PD Zero were a bit underwhelming in the visuals department.

But who would have thought back then that 6 years later that very same console would be capable of the level of graphics seen in upcoming games like Battlefield 3 and Rage. So while the next generation of consoles might not seem as such a huge leap at first with games only slightly better looking than their current gen counterparts, a few years down the road developers might be able to do some impressive stuff that rivals some of the best CGI in movies out there.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

lol

well i could not come up with anything better than that...

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Lol...no need to get batshit crazy mr AMD. If it can do 1080p accross the board with current PC graphics and lots of AA at 60 frames...I'll be happy.

shutting people up is wht the is suppose to do but its not working.
on the other hand it would be nice to see it happen.

Around the Network

In ways I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware was capable of graphics at a detail level where most people didn’t care about the difference between these games and Avatar, after all the next XBox will probably be released in Q4 2013, possibly with a GPU that is 2 years newer than the top of the line GPU we use today.

Of course the challenges of producing graphics like this in game are not limited to hardware processing power. The cost of developing games has increased by 2 to 4 times with every generational leap in graphics since the NES, and this has resulted in countless bankruptcies and mergers reducing the number of developers, and a risk adverse industry where most games are clones or sequels of games that are popular. If this trend continues in order to produce "Avatar like" graphics in game then I would expect even million selling games to banrkupt their companies, or developers to opt out of the graphical arms race and continue developing games at a similar detail level to current HD games.

Chroniczaaa said:
$2500 Xbox 720

1trillion dollar Xbox 720

and it's as big as a house

I hope this doesn't get attributed to Microsoft eternally because this is completely AMD's hyperbolgasm.

While I'm not completely sold on what this guys says, from a strictly visual perspective, i believe games may end up looking almost as good as Avatar to an untrained eye. You have to remember that Avatar was rendered for IMAX theaters and in 3d. This means that the resolution was at the least 2x 720p, and had to be rendered twice from two slightly different perspectives because the movie was being filmed by two cameras at a time.There are also many other effects that made Avatar such a hassle to render but most people wouldn't even notice the difference if it wasn't included. For example, I honestly cannot see the difference between Crysis 2 on high and ultra settings without an actual side by side screen comparison. The funny thing about it though is that the performance difference is huge. On high i get almost 50fps, but on ultra I get around 16fps. And trust me, I am a bit of a graphics whore and so when I say I barely see a difference, there really is barely a difference.

Putting these factors into consideration, I honestly believe that to the untrained eye the next generation of games may seemingly look as good as Avatar...well at least to some people. The next xbox does not need to equal the computing power of all those computers used to render Avatar to have games that look comparable. Developers are very good at using smoke and mirrors to make a games look better than they actually do.

And the games will get worse not better, 360 already has crap for exclusives, and too many games are pushing graphics and relying on things be pretty for sales and neglecting gameplay and content and making meh games that look amazing that sells to the magpie crowd