By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do we exist,GOD or BIG BANG theory?

Who created everything?

GOD 184 41.82%

BIG BANG 251 57.05%

Total:435
Scoobes said:
Dr.Grass said:
On the evolution side... Amazing how insects, bats, birds, dinosaurs all evolved flight INDEPENDENTLY. Now that's something to consider...

Dinosaurs never flew...

oh ffs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281780/Discovered-The-dinosaur-flew-Sahara-lush-green-paradise.html

And this is why I'm more and more steering clear of these debates, and this website in general. You just don't have any idea who you are debating against and that makes the whole process painful with zero outcome.

Just see how what should've been a good, logic-based debate has deteriorated into a bible-quoting contest. Lame.

Around the Network
Sri Lumpa said:
DélioPT said:

The apparition wasn`t made in the name of a single religion. 

So what? The point is not whether the one supposedly giving the apparition restricted it to other religions/branches but whether people following other religions/branches would accept them as genuine. If your point was that hell is a genuine place in catholicism then having that apparition accepted by the catholic church supports it; if your point was that hell is a genuine place in christianity then you need to support it with something accepted by most branches of christianity, not with a catholic miracle.

About the stoning, yes it does contradict the Old Testament. 

Which was my point.

What God did, was give us moral or rules that we could "understand", so to speak. He knew that at that time - or until Christ - men couldn`t "understand" He`s ways, so He actually did something that went agains He`s will.

It is not an excuse for the immorality of the old testament as both humans and the law he subjected them to were created by him. If he did not want to go against his will he should have created us with the ability to understand his law. 

Jesus teachings aren`t independent of His divinity, it´s part of Him as He always taught and lived what He was.

This is my understanding of that part of the bible but player1x3 had a different interpretation.

You do good deeds because you, believing in God, follow His heart and wishes.

But that's the thing. Believing in god shouldn't matter either way, what should matter is if you do good for its own sake. That doing good for goodness' sake isn't enough but you have the additional arbitrary requirement of believing makes this system IMO immoral as it is not about being moral but about believing.

About the heaven and hell part, i don`t why you think it`s going to be boring! :D I have heard and read something about heaven and what i know is that it`s a place of never ending bliss or joy.

Mostly because of the lack of imagination of those describing heaven. When artists and preachers describe hell it is full of fire and brimstone and a multitude of very imaginative activities to make you pass the time but when they try to describe heaven it is all playing a harp on a cloud and... and... and I am sure there are more to the descriptions but that it is the only activity that is impressed in our cultural mind is rather telling. If heaven is merely bliss with nothing to do then what is the point? If it is like a continuous religious service then count me out as I find those way too boring and pandering.

I also find the idea of neverending bliss (and neverending pain) strange as our minds are very adept at acclimatising to continuous sensations. It is because we both have moments of happiness and moments of sadness that we know how to really appreciate the happy times. It is because we have moments where we work hard and moments where we rest that we can appreciate the difference.

Variety is the spice of life but all descriptions of heaven I have ever encountered are the epitome of blandness. 

I didn`t said that love part to be read literally, it`s the message that i was trying to pass that was important. 

And I took it that way, but the message i get from christianity is one of a powerful being wanting us to be in an abusive relationship with him where we have to serve and worship him and if we don't we get abuse part.

I respect much more those sects of christianity that believe that those not accepted in heaven have their soul destroyed as you then have a gift (life on earth) and if you are deemed worthy you get a bigger gift (heaven) but if not you simply do not get the bigger gift and thus your being ceases to exist. It is simply the non-granting of a second gift instead of punishing for having the wrong belief. A punishment that is disproportionate to the crime as the punishment has no end. It is even worse than getting waterboarded for the rest of your life as a punishment for jaywalking.

You speak of a catholic miracle because Mary is associated with Catholicism or Christianity in general. That´s why i mentioned that it wasn`t made with a religion in mind. It`s for everyone. Of course some might reject if they are part of a religion that doesn`t see Mary as mother of Jesus/God.

I spoke of understanding with "" because it was not to be read as an intellectual ability or lack of it. It`s more on a  broader sense: understanding with heart and mind. But i won`t speak too much of it because that would be putting words on God`s mouth and, as Jesus, said, their hearts were hard - to understand.

"But that's the thing. Believing in god shouldn't matter either way, what should matter is if you do good for its own sake. That doing good for goodness' sake isn't enough but you have the additional arbitrary requirement of believing makes this system IMO immoral as it is not about being moral but about believing."

But believing doesn`t exist per se. With belief you also have love. It`s like understanding where good comes from and doing it because you know it comes from God and how it`s important for Him and in a sense, for you. What saves you is not just doing good, because you are born that way, it`s your relationship with God. Morality is just a part of it.

What i do know about heaven is, as Jesus told, it`s very different from what we have here. I honestly don`t what we do in heaven. The concepts of neverending pain or joy are really something we can`t comprehend because it`s totally different from our lives.

I never said that souls get destroyed, if that`s what you are thinking i said, if not, i`m sorry for misreading you.
Being one with God it`s not about serving and worshiping as people think. All God wants is for people to love Him as He loves us too. I do understand why people speak of worship, but believe me, it`s completely different when actually have faith and live that faith. You are actually to first to "worship" without anyone asking you for anything.
You should never forget how different it is dealing with God. It`s not like dealing with another person.
You also get heaven forever, not just hell. People have their whole lifes to make a choice and you also have people on your side to guide you, the Bible, miracles, apparitions, signs in your life. If after this you still say no... Aim your eyes and heart at God and heaven and that`s all that matters.

Dr.Grass said:
Scoobes said:
Dr.Grass said:
On the evolution side... Amazing how insects, bats, birds, dinosaurs all evolved flight INDEPENDENTLY. Now that's something to consider...

Dinosaurs never flew...

oh ffs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281780/Discovered-The-dinosaur-flew-Sahara-lush-green-paradise.html

And this is why I'm more and more steering clear of these debates, and this website in general. You just don't have any idea who you are debating against and that makes the whole process painful with zero outcome.

Just see how what should've been a good, logic-based debate has deteriorated into a bible-quoting contest. Lame.

A Pterosaur is not a dinosaur under any definition. If you wanted to point out flying dinosaurs you'd be better off pointing out modern birds.

padib said:

That's lazy thinking in my opinion. I don't adhere to it. Origins are a fundamental issue to me so I take them kind of seriously.

At the same time it is good to have the less serious approach every now and then (not all the time), cause some of us overthink things sometimes, I know I do, so a good dose of "life is simple" can be a blessing here and there.

Oh I agree...knowledge matters and you should never stop looking for answers...but if we're talking truth and knowledge, we should keep Religion out of it. Religion belongs in a philosphy or history class, not in science class. the debate about "where did we come from, God or the Big Bang" debate is a steaming pile because there's only theory on the science side, and wishful thinking on the religious side.  Nothing will get resolved unless someone figures out how to prove it one way or another.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

DélioPT said:

You speak of a catholic miracle because Mary is associated with Catholicism or Christianity in general. That´s why i mentioned that it wasn`t made with a religion in mind. It`s for everyone. Of course some might reject if they are part of a religion that doesn`t see Mary as mother of Jesus/God.

I speak of a Catholic miracle because you mentioned it in response to player1x3 asserting hell as a state of mind and not a physical place. If your aim was t to argue that then you would have been better off doing so quoting the new testament as he seems to put credence in it rather than something more specific. What you are doing is the equivalent of arguing with a jew that Jesus is the messiah by quoting the new testament: it might be a correct quote but it wouldn't advance your point and would be irrelevant unless you knew that jew put credence in the new testament.

I spoke of understanding with "" because it was not to be read as an intellectual ability or lack of it. It`s more on a  broader sense: understanding with heart and mind. But i won`t speak too much of it because that would be putting words on God`s mouth and, as Jesus, said, their hearts were hard - to understand.

You don't teach little kids about right and wrong (morality) by allowing them to do wrong things unpunished. You punish them whe nthey do wrong even if they don't understand why it is wrong at the time and as they grow up and their intellectual ability develops then you can start teaching them not just what is wrong but why it is wrong.

I maintain that god should not have given laws lacking in moral to the Hebrews, especially if their heart was hard (as they would need such laws more than somebody with a good heart). He should have given them good laws to live by and if they did not understand them immediately it would not matter, only that they start obeying them, the understanding could come latter.

But believing doesn`t exist per se. With belief you also have love.

You don't understand. Belief? Love? Both belief and love? If heaven was about morality then neither should matter, only whether somebody is moral (or at least trying their best to be as nobody is perfect). I am not saying that either belief or love or both should disqualify but I am saying that them being requirements means that the christian view of heaven is not based on morality but on being "part of the gang".

It`s like understanding where good comes from and doing it because you know it comes from God and how it`s important for Him and in a sense, for you. 

Are you claiming that belief in and love of god is the only path to goodness? If that is the case then you are arguing that all those billions of people that do not believe in your specific god* cannot do good for goodness' sake. If that was the case you would expect countries with a majority of the populations believing in those religions  to be completely immoral. Yet, by and large, people in those countries adhere to many similar moral codes as those in Christian countries.

And if you don't claim that god is the only path to goodness then rejecting those other paths that do not include belief in and/or love of god makes the act of saving not a moral act but a "part of  the gang" act.

* atheists, buddhists, hindus, shintoists,... possibly muslims and jews depending on how narrowly you want to go.

Morality is just a part of it.

Which is my point. If heaven and hell was a moral thing then that would be all of it. That morality is just a part of it means that it is not moral.

I never said that souls get destroyed, if that`s what you are thinking i said, if not, i`m sorry for misreading you.

No, I said that I had more respect for those branches of christianity that believe in the destructions of unsaved souls as opposed to eternal torture. It still doesn't make the proposition of heaven moral as it still is a private club whose membership is not based on morality alone but at least they don't torture people forevermore for not being part of the club even if they are otherwise moral people.

but believe me, it`s completely different when actually have faith and live that faith.

It is a common mistake of believers to assume that unbelievers do not know what it means to have faith and live it. My parents are believers and so they raised me in their religion. As most children I accepted my parent's teachings as true until I was able to determine for myself that :

1. They are only human and don't always tell the truth.

2. Even when they tell what they believe to be true they still might be wrong about it being true.

This means that until that time I too was a believer who had faith and believed that faith and know what it feels like.

You are basically arguing that an adult cannot understand what it means to believe in Santa Claus because he doesn't believe in it. He might not believe in him now but a lot of adults did believe in him as a kid and thus understand what it feels like and what it means.

You also get heaven forever, not just hell. People have their whole lifes to make a choice and you also have people on your side to guide you, the Bible, miracles, apparitions, signs in your life. If after this you still say no...

I ams still saying that putting requirements beyond a person's morality for saving (morality in their heart, not just in their acts) makes the act of saving an act not predicated on morality and thus amoral. The extra bit about punishing people for eternity for something not based on moral makes it, in those faiths believing in hell, an immoral thing.

Aim your eyes and heart at God and heaven and that`s all that matters.

And that is the problem. It should be "Aim your eyes and heart at being a good person and that 's all that matters" if it was about morality.

What about you? You seem like a decent enough fellow that tries to lead a moral life. One day you will die (hopefully after a very long, happy and fulfilling life). What if you then find that the god you set your eyes and heart on was the wrong god. Would you think it would be moral to have you be tortured for eternity merely because your parents believed in the wrong god and taught you the wrong belief? Even though you do your best to be good? Would you simply accept such a judgement or be outraged at the injustice of it?

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:

You just don't have any idea who you are debating against and that makes the whole process painful with zero outcome.

The bible quoting part can be necessary to determine the belief of those you are debating with as not everybody has an easily categorised belief.

If you are not interested in that, fair enough, but as Padib says, you are free to skip those posts (or the whole thread).

Please don't respond to this until I'm completely done, or you'll overwhelm me, really.

I will respond to a few of them that I consider important, like clarifying on Occam's razor, or small things that are unlikely to need a follow-up, but I will try to avoid overwhelming you (or at least try to avoid overwhelming you further ).

padib said:

I'll start this by just mentioning I'm not as rigorous as you are in quote-posting

There is an insert new table button in the tools when you quote a post. It helps with it. I quote that way because I find it more readable.

Sorry for the disordering, but it's the order in which I want to present my view on it that matters in my reply post.

No problem, if it helps you organise your thoughts.

Allow me to put this issue on pause for now, I'm a little overwhelmed. Let me take time to think about this before I go more in depth. I might make another post or thread for this.

No problem, take as much time as you need to digest it. Beside, I suppose that just like me you have other things to do in your life so let's not treat this as a race.

What I meant to say by nonconventional is that it defies common sense

Most of science defies common sense. If the structure of the world was so simple that we could comprehend it simply with our everyday senses and experiences we would not need science.

For example our common sense tells us that the Earth is flat and the Sun turns around it. of course,  today, common knowledge tells us otherwise because we teach our children about the spherical nature of the earth (ok, not quite spherical but close enough for kids) and can show them satellite imagery but if I go outside I can see that the earth is flat, that's just common sense.

I would go as far as suppose that new scientific theories are more likely to go against common sense as if they did go with it we probably would have incorporated that common sense in a theory ages ago. It is just a hunch though, or a belief if you prefer, so don't expect me to debate it in depth. 

No, you're totally right, I shouldn't say it's a false assumption, I should just say it's an assumption that could, by definition, be false.

Sure, but you wouldn't call it a true assumption just because by definition it could be true. Just call it an assumption until it is resolved, at which point it woud either be confirmed and thus not an assumption anymore or found to be a false assumption and the model(s) that incorporated it either changed with the new knowledge or possibly abandoned if the false assumption was too central to them to do so.

Anyhow, I don't believe your rewording of Occam's razor is complete, as I'm sure many complex theories bear more assumptions than more basic ones while both are understood by a vast majority to be true.

You are totally right, I took the part about the theory needing to explain the evidence as being self-evident, obviously I shouldn't have. A simpler theory that contradict some of the evidence is not going to be more likely to be correct, it will be incorrect . My mistake, sorry. Let me try to restate it more carefully.

Let's examine 4 cases (not necessarily the only ones):

1. Theory A explains part of the evidence but not all of it and also contradicts some of it.

2. Theory B explains part of the evidence but not all of it.

3. Theory C explains part of the evidence and is simpler than B.

4. Theory D explain all of the evidence.

5. Theory E explains all of the evidence while being simpler than D (as in less assumptions/elements or more likely  assumptions).

You don't want to have a theory like A because it contradicts the evidence and thus cannot be correct (though it could form the basis of a theory derived from it that is correct).

Ideally you would want a theory like D or E (especially E) but with so many data points it is unlikely that a single theory will explain everything it pertains to.

So let's concentrate on B and C.

B can be useful to have a starting model (it's better than nothing) but will need revising so that while theory B2 (the successor to B) might be correct B itself most likely isn't.

If both B and C explain the same set of evidence then C is more likely to be correct as it is simpler (that's the Occam's razor part) and thus has less assumptions (if not then it is not simpler).

If a B type theory is more complicated than a C type theory then it might still be seen are more likely to be correct if that particular B theory also explains more evidence than that particular C theory. These are just general principles, the specifics have be weighted when considering specific theories.

But this is the reason why you should favor theories with the most support from evidence and the least assumptions possibles. The less evidential support and the more assumptions the more likely a theory is incorrect.

Also, with new evidence a theory can go down a few pegs if the new evidence is not explained or contradicts the theory.

But depending on how central an assumption is or how deeply a piece of evidence contradict a theory you might be able to formulate a new theory based on the old one so that even if the old theory became an A theory after new discovery the new theory without the assumptions could be a B or C theory.

This is of course a very idealised view of things but I hope it helps you see how to judge a theory's merits.

For the moment I don't adhere to Occam's razor, but maybe I need to understand it better.

Or I need to explain it better.

It is not a foolproof method either, as you will see from another paragraph in my full response, but it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

But even then, since both assume for the same variable a different dynamic (one static, the other dynamic), how is one assuming more than the other?

Because if you assume a static value you only assume one thing:

Assumption 1 - this value is static.

If you assume a variable value you have to assume two things:

Assumption 1 - this value is variable.

Assumption 2 - the value varies in this way.

The first one is not a problem because it is a yes/no assumption but the second is a problem because there is potentially an infinite number of ways the value could have varied over time and in the absence of evidence you simply cannot determine in what way it did vary.

For example you can fit an infinite number of curves with only one data point.

If you have evidence of it varying then you have a second datapoint that limits the number of possible curves. Even if the number of curves is still infinite it would be a smaller infinite like the set of all integers is a smaller infinite set than the set of all reals, even though they both are infinite.

Do you now understand why assuming something is constant in the absence of evidence it isn't constant is the right thing to do to minimise assumptions?

What have you to say on this comment of mine? It's of the same nature, just more expanded:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4141887

I already responded to it in another post.

So I was right in the first place about the variability of said parameters in the first place? 

Were your right that some parameters can be variable? Sure, but I didn't deny that. The problem is determining beforehand which one(s) will be variable, if any, and even more difficult, in what way they will vary.

Please enlighten me. So was the Occam's Razor argument pure rhetoric and just a tool used to push your viewpoint? How is that honest?

So the current view holds that the rate is variable, yet earlier you were discrediting my point because it involved more assumptions. How is that fair? That's the kind of rhetoric I don't approve of.

I think the earlier paragraphs about Occam's razor answer that. To recap: It wasn't pure rethoric because until there was such evidence there was no way of knowing whether it was variable, and if assuming that it was variable there was no way of knowing in what way the variable parameter changes/changed.

Please tell me if you still think I was being unfair in light of that (and in what way).

But if you want to argue creationist content and communities with me, for now I really only trust this website: creation.com. I haven't been around that much, but these guys are thorough to the bone.

From their about us "The scientific aspects of creation are important, but are secondary in importance to the proclamation of the Gospel"

In other word, while they try to be scientific they are primarily a religious outfit, which makes it hard to do science when your beliefs clash with our understanding of the world.

However, from the page "Arguments we think creationists should NOT use", which IIRC you linked earlier, I must give them props for not championing some of the worst creationist arguments like "Darwin recanted on his deathbed", "Darwin’s quote about the absurdity of eye evolution from Origin of Species" (talk about taking out of context) or "Einstein held unswervingly, against enormous peer pressure, to belief in a Creator" among others.

They still are not perfect as they claim about c-decay "most of the evolutionary counter-arguments have been proven to be fallacious". Huh what? So pointing out that the guy took imprecise measurements (due to the limits of the instruments of the time) and used them as if they were precise; that he threw out a lot of data points in order to curve-fit the remaining data points; that his favourite curve was one of many fitting the remaining data points despite him saying otherwise... is fallacious?

Also they still champion Humphrey's cosmology as a viable solution when Humphrey himself abandoned the core of his theory (incidentally, one of the authors of that article, Mr Conner is a fundamentalist christian).

Still, thanks for that as it allows to frame the debate better.

The key phrase in the quote is: "on all areas it touches on". For all else, there is science, and it plays a huge part on explaining origins. The genesis account is full of questions waiting to be answered scientifically. 

The problem is that there are plenty of areas where the bible "touches on" the physical world that clashed with science's understanding, from the shape of the earth to the age of the earth to the origin of species...

If your belief is right then I am sure that eventually science will come to understand the world that way (with values varying millions-fold to accommodate the flood, a few thousand years old earth...) but it might take a long time for it to discover such evidence and it would not be scientific to assume said values not only varied but varied in the exact ways necessary for the biblical story to be possible in the absence of evidence for those variations.

If creationists were to say something like:

"We believe in the literal truth of the bible and in the genesis account of creation.

We realise that science's current understanding of the world contradict it but we have faith that in the fullness of time, as science gets a deeper understanding of this world, it will eventually come to the same explanation of the world as given by genesis"

I could totally respect that as just because science understand the world one way does not mean that it is so. Science is more like the art of being wrong in useful ways as it constantly has to revise or replace its theories describing its understanding of the world as more evidence is known (which would be the "being wrong" part) but also gave us a lot of tools to manipulate this world, far more than any other system of thought has to my knowledge.

But no, creationists are both a patient and an impatient bunch who can wait 2000 years (more or less) for their messiah to come back and validate their belief yet cannot wait that long for science to do the same.

The gaps left by the bible are so vast that there is ample room for creation scientists to do the exact same: "to look at the world and change their models and theories as their understanding of the world deepens".

Sure, in the gaps. But outside of those gaps they have a need to reconcile their belief with the world and thus add assumptions on the sole basis of them being necessary to reconcile the world with the account of genesis. Doing so is not scientific.

I do not claim that no scientist has ever done something similar to fit the world to his pet theory (I would say that Darwin's theory on how traits are inherited is a prime candidate for that) but as a whole the scientific community recognises that trap and as there will be a number of competing theories about the same subject (until the amount of evidence available prunes it to a handful of competing theories) there is a good chance that even if a scientist does it others with competing theories will not be wedded to it and will thus treat it objectively.

The difference with creationists is that they all believe the same base theory (the literal truth of genesis) and thus do not have as much back and forth on a scientific level as scientists do. They still can have such a back and forth, but accepting the same set of assumptions reduces it, often to the level of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (i.e. debate their theories not on scientific grounds but on theological grounds).

Then why all the musing at faith as a whole? Why all the references to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

The musings on faith (at least those in response to your posts) are to try to make you understand the difference between faith (believing things in the absence of evidence) and the scientific approach (deriving the best theory we can from the evidence we have and testing it).

The reference to the FSM were to show you that just because a theory is an alternative to science does not mean that it is scientific.

Why all the ridicule and ostracising? There's something not honest here, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Ok, read the whole response until the next quote as you might find some things offending at the start but not necessarily at the end.

In creation.com's arguments creationists should not use they mentioned "NASA faked the moon landings" and part of their argument was refuting claims of that theory.

The thing is, the whole creationist endeavour is similar to the moon hoax conspiracy in that moon hoaxers also try to reinterpret known things in extravagant* ways to fit their world view, see themselves as persecuted by the scientific establishment, often trot out long discredited claims and tend to advance them in a very irritating manner.

So if you have ever been in an argument with a moon hoaxer (or a flat earther) then you have an idea of the view I have of creationists. They (moon hoaxers and flat earthers) see their arguments as valid and scientific but the science community doesn't.

So that is how I entered this debate, with the addition that creationist can also be prone to threaten hellfire on the unbelievers.

However, regardless of my initial feelings about any given group I hold that one should always be ready to change their opinion for one particular individual if they do not fit that preconception (and change the preconception of the whole group if a great number of individuals do not fit it as either the preconception was wrong or the group changed and the preconception does not hold anymore).

While I think a lot of it fit to you (reinterpreting things in outlandish ways to make it fit your worldview and the feeling of persecution) you have refrained (and so does creation.com) from the more egregious examples like "Einstein believed in god", "Darwin recanted", "Darwin said the eye could not evolve" ... These are egregious because they have no bearing on whether evolution is correct or not and/or are taken out of context to give it the opposite meaning.

But most importantly, even when you are** you are not doing it in a dogmatic way but with a tone of seeking to understand. You have yet to try to advance your point by saying I am going to hell (even if you believe I am) or that I must be immoral as I do not accept jesus as my saviour...

In other word, you are nice and trying to understand why science sees things the way it does; a refreshing change in creationists debates.

So in the future I will try to refrain from such snide remarks, but if I fail, do not take it personally but more as applying to those creationists I described above.

* for example moon landing hoax conspiracy theorists often have the extravagant claim that Stanley Kubrick created the footage from Apollo 11. Creationists often have the extravagant claim that hundreds of meters of sedimentary rock was deposed in less than a year.

**for example "The new species we are finding isn't due to new ones evolving, its due to an already existing species existing that we have just newly discovered", which even creation.com partly disagree with:

‘No new species have been produced.’ This is not true—new species have been observed to form. In fact, rapid speciation is an important part of the creation model. But this speciation is within the ‘kind’, and involves no new genetic information. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I think that will be more than enough for this post. I will respond to the rest in another post when you have finished your response, as you asked.

I hope it will help clarify things.

Sri Lumpa said:
DélioPT said:

I speak of a Catholic miracle because you mentioned it in response to player1x3 asserting hell as a state of mind and not a physical place. If your aim was t to argue that then you would have been better off doing so quoting the new testament as he seems to put credence in it rather than something more specific. What you are doing is the equivalent of arguing with a jew that Jesus is the messiah by quoting the new testament: it might be a correct quote but it wouldn't advance your point and would be irrelevant unless you knew that jew put credence in the new testament.

You don't teach little kids about right and wrong (morality) by allowing them to do wrong things unpunished. You punish them whe nthey do wrong even if they don't understand why it is wrong at the time and as they grow up and their intellectual ability develops then you can start teaching them not just what is wrong but why it is wrong.

I maintain that god should not have given laws lacking in moral to the Hebrews, especially if their heart was hard (as they would need such laws more than somebody with a good heart). He should have given them good laws to live by and if they did not understand them immediately it would not matter, only that they start obeying them, the understanding could come latter.

But believing doesn`t exist per se. With belief you also have love.

You don't understand. Belief? Love? Both belief and love? If heaven was about morality then neither should matter, only whether somebody is moral (or at least trying their best to be as nobody is perfect). I am not saying that either belief or love or both should disqualify but I am saying that them being requirements means that the christian view of heaven is not based on morality but on being "part of the gang".

It`s like understanding where good comes from and doing it because you know it comes from God and how it`s important for Him and in a sense, for you. 

Are you claiming that belief in and love of god is the only path to goodness? If that is the case then you are arguing that all those billions of people that do not believe in your specific god* cannot do good for goodness' sake. If that was the case you would expect countries with a majority of the populations believing in those religions  to be completely immoral. Yet, by and large, people in those countries adhere to many similar moral codes as those in Christian countries.

And if you don't claim that god is the only path to goodness then rejecting those other paths that do not include belief in and/or love of god makes the act of saving not a moral act but a "part of  the gang" act.

* atheists, buddhists, hindus, shintoists,... possibly muslims and jews depending on how narrowly you want to go.

Morality is just a part of it.

Which is my point. If heaven and hell was a moral thing then that would be all of it. That morality is just a part of it means that it is not moral.

No, I said that I had more respect for those branches of christianity that believe in the destructions of unsaved souls as opposed to eternal torture. It still doesn't make the proposition of heaven moral as it still is a private club whose membership is not based on morality alone but at least they don't torture people forevermore for not being part of the club even if they are otherwise moral people.

but believe me, it`s completely different when actually have faith and live that faith.

It is a common mistake of believers to assume that unbelievers do not know what it means to have faith and live it. My parents are believers and so they raised me in their religion. As most children I accepted my parent's teachings as true until I was able to determine for myself that :

1. They are only human and don't always tell the truth.

2. Even when they tell what they believe to be true they still might be wrong about it being true.

This means that until that time I too was a believer who had faith and believed that faith and know what it feels like.

You are basically arguing that an adult cannot understand what it means to believe in Santa Claus because he doesn't believe in it. He might not believe in him now but a lot of adults did believe in him as a kid and thus understand what it feels like and what it means.

You also get heaven forever, not just hell. People have their whole lifes to make a choice and you also have people on your side to guide you, the Bible, miracles, apparitions, signs in your life. If after this you still say no...

I ams still saying that putting requirements beyond a person's morality for saving (morality in their heart, not just in their acts) makes the act of saving an act not predicated on morality and thus amoral. The extra bit about punishing people for eternity for something not based on moral makes it, in those faiths believing in hell, an immoral thing.

Aim your eyes and heart at God and heaven and that`s all that matters.

And that is the problem. It should be "Aim your eyes and heart at being a good person and that 's all that matters" if it was about morality.

What about you? You seem like a decent enough fellow that tries to lead a moral life. One day you will die (hopefully after a very long, happy and fulfilling life). What if you then find that the god you set your eyes and heart on was the wrong god. Would you think it would be moral to have you be tortured for eternity merely because your parents believed in the wrong god and taught you the wrong belief? Even though you do your best to be good? Would you simply accept such a judgement or be outraged at the injustice of it?

Although i didn`t quote the New Testament, Mary was part of it. So, in a way, it`s related to the new testament.
My original intention was no to show a religious point of view, even though i realise how it`s not easy to separate that apparition from the religion that embraces mary.

Honestly, only Jesus knew exactly why God didn`t impose something that their hearts wouldn`t understand/comprehend/accept - whatever the term is. The important things is that... well, by now i don`t really remember why i brought this up in the first place! :D  oh, i remember, it was about the stoning situation.
The "understand" part was my view on why God did what He did.

The view on heaven and hell are moral. God is also about morality. The difference is that it`s much more than that. Faith alone won`t save you as being good alone won`t save you either. It`s the whole thing that allows you to find salvation.
That`s the important part as having faith implies a series of things: belief, love, morality. That`s why i used that example of the person in love. Loving back implies everything like respect, fidelity, etc. As with God, loving Him back, implies having belief, trusting and being good. And this love as a whole is what will make you worthy of going to heaven. That`s why salvation might seem amoral and immoral. About the last part, in the end, those who rejected God or just kept Him away from one`s heart are punished as much as acting immorally would have someone punished - if there was only morality as basis for the decision of heaven or hell. That`s the price to pay, as heaven is a reward on the other side of the coin. I know that some won`t like it, but that`s how it is. So, i do hope that everyone can find faith, as part for giving them heaven.
I do believe that everyone is capable of being good, btw.

Yes i made a mistake.
If i may be a bit personnal, you gave me the impression that there`s more to it than you showed as i believe you have taken your time with it. I sincerely hope that one day you can regain your faith back.

Thank you for your wishes of a good life! Same here for you! :)
That`s a difficult question. Although i do believe that God is the one i know that others will not agree with me. The difficulty in the question is trying to understand how God will make His decision. There are a lot of important things to question: did that person know of God and Jesus? Was he taught about Them? What did he know? Was he a good person?
You could ask, for example, what about those who were born before Jesus?
I don`t know if i have the best answer for that but i`ll start by saying that God is fair. If God didn`t impose Himself with His wishes - like we talked before about the stoning and the reference to Jesus' comments on marriage - He will be fair with everyone. I believe, like there`s an example on the Bible of a rich and poor man and how one goes to heaven and the other not, that in situations like these God will look at the goodness of their hearts. Supposing that said person never KNEW about Jesus'  and His teachings.
In the situation that someone has a different religion, because he was taught differently, the biggest question should be: did he reject God from his heart? Only him and God can answer this question. I can only guess.

Actually these reflects the importance of spreading the word of God - like the apostles did and priests do.

Dr.Grass said:
Scoobes said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dinosaurs never flew...

oh ffs.

Seriously, you're quoting me the Daily Mail? Easily the worst Newspaper publication in the UK? Note how although the "journalist" calls them dinosaurs, in none of the quotes with the paleontologists do they call the pterosaurs dinosaurs. Here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/flying-reptiles/

"Contrary to popular belief, Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs."

and:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/index.html

Maybe you shouldn't act so arrogant considerring you have no idea who I am or my background for that matter. I corrected you on a common misconception; Pterosaurs aren't considerred dinosaurs.

padib said:
Dr.Grass said:
Scoobes said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dinosaurs never flew...

oh ffs.

Don't get so discouraged Dr! I know how you feel but I know I'll learn a shton here as we go despite that. If you're not interested in the bible-quoting just skip those posts. That's what I would do :)

Anyway, I'm a little dissappointed by your answer, I would've bashed the shit out of him :B

Maybe you should do some research rather than relying on misconceptions:

Here.... again:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/flying-reptiles/

"Contrary to popular belief, Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs."

and:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/index.html