By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do we exist,GOD or BIG BANG theory?

Who created everything?

GOD 184 41.82%

BIG BANG 251 57.05%

Total:435

Edit: Eh, deleted the post. Wasn't on topic anymore.

Around the Network
Lastgengamer said:

Hasn't anyone on this site heard? The possibility of us just randomly coming into existence is almost an infinite possibility altogether.

Read: http://www.creationofuniverse.com/html/equilibrium03.html

Take it as you will. 

The last time statistics was applied to a system that is not well understood it predicted the ultraviolet-catastraphe. Few people, if any, take this argument seriously.

Dr.Grass said:
Rath said:
padib said:

Maybe you should do some research rather than relying on misconceptions:

Here.... again:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/flying-reptiles/

"Contrary to popular belief, Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs."

and:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/index.html

Your links are so crappy though. Here are two better ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur

You do realize you're just being picky.

Moreover, Dr.Grass' statement mentioned that Dinosaurs all evolved flight. So for instance a Dino could have evolved into a Pterosaurus. He never said Dinos flew.

The only difference between a Dinosaur and a Pterosaur is in the terminology. Dinos by definition are vertibrate with a unique upright stance. That's the only difference. Otherwise for all suits and purposes Pterosaurs are "saurs" and lived the same period as dinos. Dinos and Pterosaurs are reptilian that are dated to the Triassic to Cretaceous period. They are also "terrible" lizards (some can span 10 meters (33ft) across the wings), have a dino-like fossil and are extinct. To understand how wide 10m is for a wingspan, compare that to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_birds. None exceed 8 point some meters wingspan.

Add to the fact that some birds are classified as dinos, it gets worse for your argument. Even then I don't see what you were trying to disprove in the first place.

But to be fair, I learnt all this post research, and I do apologize for being unnecessarily rash. You're right, I shouldn't assume things and should research before claiming things. As they say, to assume makes and ass of u and me.

Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs. There is no scientific definition in which they are considered dinosaurs. Also not all dinosaurs evolved flight, only one small group did - the rest went extinct. Dr.Grass was being condescending at the same time as being wrong which is never good.

I bet you've been waiting for years to jump the first person you hear that states a pterodactyl is a Dinosaur. Seriously, that's hardly the point I was making was it? Congratulations on your 'victory'. Now you just have to requote it a few more times so that everyone on VG can see how you completely pwnd me with your wisdom.

Ok, let me rephrase: There were Ancient flying reptiles. Better? I'll leave the Paleontology to you.

My point was that flight evolved independently in several different species. That is a far more interesting point than the nomenclature attached to ancient reptiles.

EDIT:

And you go ahead to call a one-liner comment from me condescending? You might do well to put down your Dinosaurs toys and look up what the word means: ''Condescending: Displaying a patronizingly superior attitude''

You've been condescending throughout all of your posts in this thread. A person acknowledging condescendence is not common.

it's hard to not be condescending when people are arguing philisophy over science.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

padib said:
Runa216 said:
it's hard to not be condescending when people are arguing philisophy over science.

Scape-goat in hand, hatchet in the other...

The truth is, it's hard not to be condescending when one group thinks they are better or smarter than another.

it's even harder when one group is using supported facts and theories while the other is arguing with heresay and beliefs from a time when people thought mercury was one of the best remedies in the world.  and the fact that one group is full of people who constantly revise and update their 'facts' to fit modern evidence when the other team refuses to budge doesn't help the latter. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Rath said:
Scoobes said:

Seriously, you're quoting me the Daily Mail? Easily the worst Newspaper publication in the UK? Note how although the "journalist" calls them dinosaurs, in none of the quotes with the paleontologists do they call the pterosaurs dinosaurs. Here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/flying-reptiles/

and:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/dinosaurs-other-extinct-creatures/non-dino-reptiles/index.html

Maybe you shouldn't act so arrogant considerring you have no idea who I am or my background for that matter. I corrected you on a common misconception; Pterosaurs aren't considerred dinosaurs.

Modern birds are dinosaurs though unless I'm very much mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avialae

Yeah, I know, but in his original post he mentioned birds seperately from dinosaurs and then went on to link to pterosaurs... and the Daily Mail

If he'd thought about it for a couple of minutes he'd have realised it actually supports his original point as it shows independent paths for flight.

padib said:

Maybe you should do some research rather than relying on misconceptions:

Here.... again:

and:

Your links are so crappy though. Here are two better ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur

You do realize you're just being picky.

Moreover, Dr.Grass' statement mentioned that Dinosaurs all evolved flight. So for instance a Dino could have evolved into a Pterosaurus. He never said Dinos flew.

The only difference between a Dinosaur and a Pterosaur is in the terminology. Dinos by definition are vertibrate with a unique upright stance. That's the only difference. Otherwise for all suits and purposes Pterosaurs are "saurs" and lived the same period as dinos. Dinos and Pterosaurs are reptilian that are dated to the Triassic to Cretaceous period. They are also "terrible" lizards (some can span 10 meters (33ft) across the wings), have a dino-like fossil and are extinct. To understand how wide 10m is for a wingspan, compare that to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_birds. None exceed 8 point some meters wingspan.

Add to the fact that some birds are classified as dinos, it gets worse for your argument. Even then I don't see what you were trying to disprove in the first place.

But to be fair, I learnt all this post research, and I do apologize for being unnecessarily rash. You're right, I shouldn't assume things and should research before claiming things. As they say, to assume makes and ass of u and me.

Yeah, I thought about quoting the wiki pages but decided on the Museum pages instead. I personally don't see it as being picky, just more accurate. It actually still supports his original argument but instead of taking it onboard he tried to prove a false point. Either way, Pterosaurs are quite distinct from dinosaurs.

DélioPT said:

Fair enough! :D People will make their own judgment on what was said.

Actually you are right, I should have said "Almost but probably no cigar " as your argument was against player1x3and I can't speak for him but I hope you understand why, when talking about things you cannot prove through experiment and thus have to rely on the word of others, it is better to rely on sources taht you know the person you are arguing with finds authoritative.

There`s more to the passage you gave me: Mattew 17:19 and probably a better explanation here. He didn´t come to copy them to to actually fulfil God`s visions on the Law (hence the change), God`s ways and what was said about Himself.

Sure but a perfect being should get it right the first time, even if his material is flawed (especially given that he created the material he works with too).

I did not see it as you agreing with it being more than a moral system.

Question of wording. I agree with you that there are requirements beyond morality, I disagree with you that it makes it "supermoral" (more than moral) and think it makes it less than moral.

It is like if you had a driving test where you had to know not only how to drive but also something totally unrelated to driving. It would corrupt and diminish the test as you would then reject good drivers that failed the part unrelated to driving.

So yes, it`s not just about rewarding morality. That`s why i don`t equate morality with God, unless you are implying that i see God as moral or morality, in that case yes.

Then you do equate morality with god.

I don`t see that terrorist attack as moral or any other kind of act of violence.

So you don't see the god ordered act of violence against the city of jericho as moral? How does that square off with god being either moral or the source of morality?

As you know, the God is the same and that God does not allow for people to take their own lives

I can't say that I care much that they took their own life, tragic as taht may be, as they are the primary sufferers of that act. I care a whole lot more that they took other people's life.

And I don't care whether god allows people to take their own life or not, that is none of his business.

It seems to me that you are falling a bit on relativism. If i understood you correctly, you are saying that A makes morals, therefore to him it`s always moral and that if person B does the same than rejecting A wouldn`t be immoral but actually moral - according to morals of person B himself.

I am not falling "a bit" or at all on relativism, I am arguing that claiming that god is the source of morality is moral relativism as you then have two different scales for judging morals, one applying to everybody and the other applying to god. 

You are still seeing this through the eyes of morality.

Yes, because if religions are not about encouraging and rewarding morality then they are about encouraging and rewarding other things, like belief. I don't give a rat's ass about belief because what is is and what isn't isn't regardless of what you believe or don't but the moral system of religions has an impact on today's world.

If religions didn't claim to be about morality but said they were about rewarding belief (among other things) then I wouldn't care much about them but since they tend to take the moral high ground they open themselves to scrutiny of the morality of their beliefs.

Rejecting God isn`t, at least to me, immoral or moral, it`s, since i believe it`s more tham morals, a sin. Morals don`t encompass everything, so rejecting God can`t be seen through morality - or lack of it.

So some sins are not about morality? Well, then being a sinner can't be such a bad thing then, as long as the only sins you commit are the ones not related to morality.

But i get your point, in general, is, why should God be seen as the truth, path and life and not something else? I can`t answer you this without saying: it`s all about faith.

It is not so much "why should he not be seen as the truth, path and life" as like you pointed it relies entirely on faith.

It is "why should god be assumed as completely moral when we can judge his moral character from his actions described in the bible".

Rationally everything might seem the same or worthy of the same value, but in the end, reason can`t be the one to decide. Your heart will be the one that will guide you, hopefully on the right track.

For the question of his existence, maybe, but for the question of whether he is moral then you can use reason and what he told us about his actions.

Even if he was good, i didn`t condemn him as i also didn´t save him.

First, remember that it only applies if your contention that good people not knowing of Jesus would be saved as otherwise your action or inaction would not change anything.

That said, if he was good then your action put him in a mortal peril and as such you are as guilty if he is damned as a Jigsaw (in the Saw movies) is guilty of the murder of the people he puts in trapped rooms.

If you had done nothing then his salvation would have been his responsability but if you taught him things that damned him by default then you are the one who put him in that damning situation and thus are the one bearing the responsiblity of his damnation.

Being presented with a way happens every day. Should i not let him learn about the world for the sake of not risking anything?

You are not letting him know of the world. If you did you could perform experiment to explain to him how it works.

What you are doing is trying to teach him of another world that you cannot prove exist. In such a situation it is reasonable for people not to believe you as you cannot support your teachings with the world but only with the words of others.

Teaching one part and not the rest would already be a sin.

Maybe you should start by saying "if you listen to me you risk being tortured for eternity". If they still choose to take the risk and listen to you then it is their own choosing and thus their own responsibility.

But if you start talking about how Jesus is the son of god and if you believe in him and love him you will be saved, and then add "by the way, now that you know that then if you don't believe in him you will be tortured forever" then you forced that knowledge on them with no warning and doing so put them in grave peril so their damnation would then be on your head.

More, the word of God is not just about salvation. There´s a lot more than just preparing oneself for salvation. What Jesus taught us was more than that and that`s reason alone to speak of God.

Exactly, there are part that do not need belief in a supernatural being to be taught. If missionaries taught about the golden rule and about being compassionate but refrained from talking about salvation until a warning was given and accepted by the listener(s) then there is no problem. But if they don't and talk about it with no warning and no concern of whether they want to hear then their actions deliberately puts them in peril and thus the consequence are on the missionary.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Sri Lumpa said:
DélioPT said:

Fair enough! :D People will make their own judgment on what was said.

Actually you are right, I should have said "Almost but probably no cigar " as your argument was against player1x3and I can't speak for him but I hope you understand why, when talking about things you cannot prove through experiment and thus have to rely on the word of others, it is better to rely on sources taht you know the person you are arguing with finds authoritative.

There`s more to the passage you gave me: Mattew 17:19 and probably a better explanation here. He didn´t come to copy them to to actually fulfil God`s visions on the Law (hence the change), God`s ways and what was said about Himself.

Sure but a perfect being should get it right the first time, even if his material is flawed (especially given that he created the material he works with too).

I did not see it as you agreing with it being more than a moral system.

Question of wording. I agree with you that there are requirements beyond morality, I disagree with you that it makes it "supermoral" (more than moral) and think it makes it less than moral.

It is like if you had a driving test where you had to know not only how to drive but also something totally unrelated to driving. It would corrupt and diminish the test as you would then reject good drivers that failed the part unrelated to driving.

So yes, it`s not just about rewarding morality. That`s why i don`t equate morality with God, unless you are implying that i see God as moral or morality, in that case yes.

Then you do equate morality with god.

I don`t see that terrorist attack as moral or any other kind of act of violence.

So you don't see the god ordered act of violence against the city of jericho as moral? How does that square off with god being either moral or the source of morality?

As you know, the God is the same and that God does not allow for people to take their own lives

I can't say that I care much that they took their own life, tragic as taht may be, as they are the primary sufferers of that act. I care a whole lot more that they took other people's life.

And I don't care whether god allows people to take their own life or not, that is none of his business.

It seems to me that you are falling a bit on relativism. If i understood you correctly, you are saying that A makes morals, therefore to him it`s always moral and that if person B does the same than rejecting A wouldn`t be immoral but actually moral - according to morals of person B himself.

I am not falling "a bit" or at all on relativism, I am arguing that claiming that god is the source of morality is moral relativism as you then have two different scales for judging morals, one applying to everybody and the other applying to god. 

You are still seeing this through the eyes of morality.

Yes, because if religions are not about encouraging and rewarding morality then they are about encouraging and rewarding other things, like belief. I don't give a rat's ass about belief because what is is and what isn't isn't regardless of what you believe or don't but the moral system of religions has an impact on today's world.

If religions didn't claim to be about morality but said they were about rewarding belief (among other things) then I wouldn't care much about them but since they tend to take the moral high ground they open themselves to scrutiny of the morality of their beliefs.

Rejecting God isn`t, at least to me, immoral or moral, it`s, since i believe it`s more tham morals, a sin. Morals don`t encompass everything, so rejecting God can`t be seen through morality - or lack of it.

So some sins are not about morality? Well, then being a sinner can't be such a bad thing then, as long as the only sins you commit are the ones not related to morality.

But i get your point, in general, is, why should God be seen as the truth, path and life and not something else? I can`t answer you this without saying: it`s all about faith.

It is not so much "why should he not be seen as the truth, path and life" as like you pointed it relies entirely on faith.

It is "why should god be assumed as completely moral when we can judge his moral character from his actions described in the bible".

Rationally everything might seem the same or worthy of the same value, but in the end, reason can`t be the one to decide. Your heart will be the one that will guide you, hopefully on the right track.

For the question of his existence, maybe, but for the question of whether he is moral then you can use reason and what he told us about his actions.

Even if he was good, i didn`t condemn him as i also didn´t save him.

First, remember that it only applies if your contention that good people not knowing of Jesus would be saved as otherwise your action or inaction would not change anything.

That said, if he was good then your action put him in a mortal peril and as such you are as guilty if he is damned as a Jigsaw (in the Saw movies) is guilty of the murder of the people he puts in trapped rooms.

If you had done nothing then his salvation would have been his responsability but if you taught him things that damned him by default then you are the one who put him in that damning situation and thus are the one bearing the responsiblity of his damnation.

Being presented with a way happens every day. Should i not let him learn about the world for the sake of not risking anything?

You are not letting him know of the world. If you did you could perform experiment to explain to him how it works.

What you are doing is trying to teach him of another world that you cannot prove exist. In such a situation it is reasonable for people not to believe you as you cannot support your teachings with the world but only with the words of others.

Teaching one part and not the rest would already be a sin.

Maybe you should start by saying "if you listen to me you risk being tortured for eternity". If they still choose to take the risk and listen to you then it is their own choosing and thus their own responsibility.

But if you start talking about how Jesus is the son of god and if you believe in him and love him you will be saved, and then add "by the way, now that you know that then if you don't believe in him you will be tortured forever" then you forced that knowledge on them with no warning and doing so put them in grave peril so their damnation would then be on your head.

More, the word of God is not just about salvation. There´s a lot more than just preparing oneself for salvation. What Jesus taught us was more than that and that`s reason alone to speak of God.

Exactly, there are part that do not need belief in a supernatural being to be taught. If missionaries taught about the golden rule and about being compassionate but refrained from talking about salvation until a warning was given and accepted by the listener(s) then there is no problem. But if they don't and talk about it with no warning and no concern of whether they want to hear then their actions deliberately puts them in peril and thus the consequence are on the missionary.

But God didn`t fail. In a way, knowing how we were at the time, He chose not to impose, given our limitations. Doing otherwise would have probably been pointless.

But it is more then moral. Doing good is one thing, but loving or hating someone is beyond morality. Those who hate God: it`s beyond morality, but is still a sin. So, you see, there are sins that are outside of morality, most likely because they exist even if there isn`t a situation where you can apply morality or not. For instance, suicide is a sin. It`the rejection of life.

I do equate morality with God. I just read the other way around.
And no, i don`t find anything coming from God as immoral. So to me there aren`t two sets of morals as God is the absolute morality. The case being where Jesus lived what He teached.
You can judge God through His actions, of course. But please remember that you aren`t seeing another person and not even one that thinks like you - that is human as you. There`s a lot of God that no one knows.

About good people, yes, you can say there`s a risk of said person not believing. But as i said, his damnation is not my fault. It`s his decisions and actions that will give him heaven or hell. And that is the same principle for someone who doesn`t know the word of God. So, there is no damnation by default for anyone, whatever the case is.
Also, when you speak of proof, it`s fairest (spelling) if you say that the proof you have is not the one you want or accept. Because other people find it more than enough.

Me teaching someone about God is no different than telling someone what is moral and immoral according to people around the world. It`s the same situation. Teaching the ways of man will give him a path for either fates as much as speaking to him about God opens a path for either fates. In that way, everyone is responsible for everyone`s demise in hell. Because everyone puts everyone at risk when they show something immoral or a sin.
I don`t see that as a responsability of mine but of that who goes the wrong way. It`s still 50/50 before and after the word of God.

You are also starting from the point where you have someone who is good and will remain good for the rest of his life. No one can be positively sure that said person is good and also that he will still be good for life. The only way you know that - if you can know - is at the end of a person`s life, but then it might be late for saving him.
And as i said, there`s more to the word of God than the concern of salvation or damnation. It`s about teaching how you can find yourself in God; it`s about a Father be known by their sons and a Father showing their sons how much He loves them. You can`t take appart the word of God.

Sri Lumpa said:

Player1x3 said:

But your claim goes beyond simple feeling into actual knowledge. I don't deny you can feel such a presence, I deny that faith alone gives you knowledge, as opposed to the feeling of knowledge.

This will be my last post to this discussion. I feel (actually rather I know) we wont chnage our opinnions on the mater, and ita quite tiring to answer to posts long as these. And I have to got to vacation in 2 weeks. By th way, which country do you perfer? Greece or Italy?

By ''feeling'' God you know for yourself he is there. I dont expect you to understand or accept this for the reasons I mentioned before, so I'll just leave it here

Going by that logic, you are also implying that love is irrational, and thus, stupid too. (because thats what irrational mean-stupid, only less harsh sound)

Love is irrational, or rather, love and faith both have an irrational core that can't be gotten rid of as otherwise it would not be love or faith but a cold blooded calculation.

I also totally disagree with you equating irrationality with stupidity. I pretty much agree with this wikipedia definition of rationality: "Rationality is the manner in which people derive conclusions when considering things deliberately"

Irrationality is the opposite, deriving conclusions without deliberate consideration.

If you go and say "I decide to be in love with that person because of X, Y and Z" that is a rational decision but I wouldn't call it love.

The view that faith underlies all rationality holds that rationality is dependent on faith for its coherence. Under this view, there is no way to comprehensively prove that we are actually seeing what we appear to be seeing, that what we remember actually happened, or that the laws of logic and mathematics are actually real. Instead, all beliefs depend for their coherence on faith in our senses, memory, and reason, because the foundations of rationalism cannot be proven by evidence or reason. Rationally, you can not prove anything you see is real, but you can prove that you yourself are real, and rationalist belief would be that you can believe that the world is consistent until something demonstrates inconsistency. This differs from faith based belief where you believe that your world view is consistent no matter what inconsistencies the world has with your beliefs.For more info, read about this here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fides_et_Ratio

Now you will ask how it applies to faith as you can have faith because of Jesus's miracles, Mohammed's divine inspiration or other supernatural occurrence but first you must accept these claims on faith as there is not enough evidence (if any) of those things being supernatural in nature. So at the base there is a foundation that is not based on reason.

What I have faith in is

1.)God exists

2.)Teaching an morals of Christ

For the first thing, the faith can lead me to feel his presence and thus know he is present and exist. For the second, we have full historical evidence that teachings of Chirst occured using both biblical and non biblical evidence. Weather or not, the deity of Christ was real, matters little to me.

The reason I don't see irrationality as being stupid is because both rationality and irrationality are tools and whether using them is stupid or not depends on the context.

Agree

Using rationality to decide who to fall in love is stupid IMO, using rationality to help you decide if you believe in god or not is not, but the last leap of faith between rational thought and belief/disbelief is not rational. So you could say that I think the only rational religious beliefs are agnosticism as it does not seek to answer the question that reason cannot answer and apatheism because it deems the question irrelevant.

So going by that, you also agree that atheis is irrational and that, your disbeleifs is irrational too?

Now why would you call love stupid when billions of people describe it as the best thing of mankind? I can see why you think belief in God is stupid, but love

I don't as I don't see irrationality as inherently stupid, only its application in the wrong domain.

What? Oh hell no. Thats not how it works, its not that easy. See how I used 2 words ''true or correct'' faith? That means, one cannot simply believe in God, but do the exact opposite his God said and hope to find him or seek him. One has to have ortohodox faith and good heart, and of course NOT BE FOOLED BY FANATICS AND SEE THE TRUE POINT OF HIS/HERS RELIGION.Now, I cant speak for ALL, but huge majority of real religions do favour and teach the things I mentioned  in my post above.

My understanding of your claim was that faith alone was enough to gain knowledge (know through faith). If you add the requirement that it be correct or true faith then you still cannot gain knowledge that way as you would first need to know that your fait his true.

The true faith is actually quite simple and its this 2 simple rules : 1) Beleive in God, 2.)be a good person This goes for ALL people and followers no matter what religion

In other word, your claim is "my faith is true therefore I can know god". Seems like a pretty clear cut of begging the question as you assume the truth of your faith to support your ability to know through faith.

For you to got to heave you need to have ''true faith'' in God (see above). Please understand, that true faith isnt neccessarly a true religion. In my opinnion, there is no such thing as true religion, only true religious teachings. Todays religions consist mostly and divide themselfes only  by SYMBOLS AND CULTURES, but they all bear same message.

Atheism isnt a belief, its a lack of belief. Note I said ''in THEISM, faith CAN (but not neccesarly does) lead to knowledge'' not atheism

Sure it's a belief. Agnosticism is a lack of belief in both the existence of god(s) and in the non-existence of god(s) whereas atheism is the belief in the non-existence of god(s).

So to go back to your question, atheists will find exactly what they excpect in afterlife: absolutely nothing, because thats what they believed in. So, they will be correct in thier knwoledge trough faith, but not on universial level, as people who had correct faith shall findGod in afterlife

This is where we part ways, like I said, if you have true faith in God, it can lead you to discover or feel them FOR REAL ( I knew knowledge was a bad word to use).

If you restate your claim to be "faith can make you feel god" then I agree. We will of course disagree on whether the feeling is of a real entity or purely in one's mind but faith certainly can give one such a feeling. So we only disagree about the "for real" part (as in, a real entity, not a real feeling).

Skipped this reasons mentioned above.

we shouldnt argue about this anymore, as we do see thing from different perspectives, and we would only end up going in circles, and in large debates such as this, that can be very annoying

Oh yeah, I was thinking of that before you posted.

The bottom line is, if you have faith, you believe such a feeling is a feeling of a real entity, if you don't have faith then you believe such a feeling is psychosomatic*.

* I don't want to imply that it is a disease by using this word but merely that it is a state of mind (faith) affecting the body (the feeling of beatitude permeating the body), in this case in a positive way.

Okay than, as this will be my last post to the discussion (on the matter of faith and rationality), so we can agree

Hoq does this have anything to do with my post? The fact remains, huge majority of internet atheists are more sacreligious than irreligious

We were talking about atheists (or those accused to sympathise with them) and their reception in society a few centuries ago and how you claimed they had it coming; my point was that this is no excuse.

They had it coming? Who had it coming? That works both ways actually. Christians had it coming for burning atheists on stick or atheists had it coming for constantly disrespecting the beleif of majority and insulting God which wasnt tolerated in the slightest back than. But I was talking about atheists today, and how they spend more time insulting religious and religious people (Christianity, over any other, they seem to have some bias towarss Islam and Budhism) instead of actually,you know, not spending anyie thinking about it, as they dont believe in any of it.

I do not understand the point of this post. Isnt Hitchens dead?

It was a joke, and no, Hitchens isn't dead yet (if he is it is recent), though he is battling cancer.

Are we talking about Cristopher Hitchens?I looked it up and it looks like he really is alive, but not for long from the looks of things

Lot of people expressed themselfes as atheists during the Age of Enlightment, if someone was really an athesit, it would probably come out as such, or at least as agnostic.And i sure if someone

Or come out as a deist?

Yes, of course, deists, i dont know why I forgot to mention deists as well.

Diderot was an atheist, and I am sure there are a few more, but by and large people were accused of atheism more than expressing themselves as atheists. That comes close to the point I was trying to make earlier and retracted (though I expressed it very poorly) .

I should not have said that a lot of deists were closeted atheists as it implies they were atheists and did not say it. I should have said that I felt a lot of deists at that time show (IMO) signs of going toward atheism but could not make the final mental leap towards it so instead of denying the existence of the god of the bible they replaced it with an even more abstract divinity. I still can't prove it so I am just putting it here to try to better explain what I was trying to say back then (though in your sentence you seem to hold a view similar to my own).

But isnt that just an assumption? Not an historical fact?I am not saying that you are wrong, you could be right, but there realy is little to no proof of that

Anyway, I don't disagree that it shows in their writing, hence why they were accused of atheism, but by and large they defended themselves of such accusation and as such cannot be counted as openly expressing themselves as such. The 'openly' part is important as atheism then was viewed as something morally disreputable and to be hidden, which is my point: its legality is not enough .

But we cant argue that they were atheist that were affraid to go out, because its an insufficient asumption. Atheism was a social tabu back than, but it was legal and lot of things that werent accepted in socitey still made their presence know back than.

Thats exactly how I view almost every religion. And Im not very educated on Genesis creation/evolution thing, so I cant argue about it. And Im sure hndreds of millions of Christians would disagree with me, but thats just how I see things. Also note that I am not whole pure christian, I am something like Christian-Deist, as I follow Christian teachings and moral principels but I dont follow Christian church.

So you would be in between me and padib as you probably accept more christian moral precept than me and also accept some of their spiritual claims but don't accept all of them.

I accept ALL christian morals, as for spiritual claims, it depends what they are yes. The problem is, that lots of spiritual claims from a religon came of symbolics from pagan religion and the culture from which it was born.

underlined: yeah, I kinda noticed over the last few posts . A few centuries ago you would probably have been labelled an atheist.

Probably, but not neccessarly. Was Galileo considerd as an atheist back than?

Bible was written by and translated by many different people who lived  their lives during different periods of time, it is bound to be contradictionary somewhere.

Not if it was divinely inspired. And if it was not then it holds no more inherent moral value than other books reflecting on morality.

Exactly, in my opinnion it doesnt. It only holds more value because it connects people with God and teaches them about him.The thing about Bible is, you have to read it and STUDY it REALLY CAREFUL to undestand it. Its truley an amazing book.If th other book that teaches same values and morals as Bible than yes, its just as good and amazing

But all people who studied the Bible an agree on its main purpose

I would agree if you replaced "all" with "most" as I would disagree with what most claim is its main purpose.

Well, there were quite the few people of the church that abused its main purpose.

The reason why they are contradictory does not mean they are not. When the old testament holds some action as moral like stoning people to death for various infractions but Jesus says not to resist evil they are both teaching actions and those actions are contradictory (resist evil by stoning people to death vs do not resist evil)

Whatß There is a faous quote by Jesus that he said when a woman was about to get stoned to death: '#Let him who is without sin cast the first stone''

He holds that only one without sin can cast the first stone but why didn't he cast it himself (Jesus is without sin, isn't he?) if he doesn't contradict the old testament?

Why would Jesus Christ hurt another person by throwing rocks at him? Dont you know who he was? Besides, he was making a point, not givng an order. He meant that no one is sinless and no one should judge anyone.

Anyway, it seems more like a classical case of a lawyer getting his client off on a technicality than anything else to me.

masochist isnt a sane human being and as such, not in position to make good moral choices

I think it is quite a leap to say that masochists are not sane as you would be including everybody that enjoy being spanked during sex (a mild form of masochism).

Well, thats a fetish, and the true macoshits enjoys pain  and pain is no fetish. Pain harms a person and it can not be considerd normal nor good. And people that enjoy spanking, enjoy it because of what represents on the outside, they dont enjoy the pain that creates. (I DONT SPEAK from expereince)

Anyway, my point was that not everybody would enjoy me doing to them what I would enjoy them doing to me so what is important is the spirit of the golden rule, not the exact wording.

I am sorry, but this is VERY WRONG. You dont have to see Jesus Christ as a son of God (we are all children of God) to be in heaven, what Bible says when ''accept Jesus as your saviour'' is that you accept him as a teacher of most important human morals not as a son of God. Muslims also accept Jesus Christ as a very important person, only not  as the literal son of God. Jews hold simmilar belief.

I am afraid that you are wrong. If you were right that one merely needed to accept Jesus' teachings to be saved then there would have been ZERO need for him to die on the cross. That act was him paying for our sins in christian belief but it is not enough as otherwise even those not accepting him (like me) would be saved. The other part was specifically believing in him as savior, not merely in his teachings (though if you believe in him you will believe his teachings too).

Jesus Christ sacrificed himself to show people the rigtheous ways of life and let people to heaven and remove the burden Adam has put on mankind by tasting the apple from the tree of knowledge (from the Bible) Christianity teaches us, that in order for us to be in Heaven with God, we must be free of sin, and since all humans are under sin by nature, the only reason/cause/we get to heaven is because Jesus Christ died for our sins. Of course, one needs to be a good person of free soul to even be able to live in Heaven, I hope you know what I mean/you understand what I ean

This also mean that I find the whole concept of hell (which not all christians believe in though) immoral as being a moral person is not enough to spare you an eternity of torture (and since when is torture moral anyway?)

I already explained you the true meaning of ''Hell'. Do you want me to do it again? Hell isnt a place of torture, its a stae of soul in which the soul itself puts into. thats the short basic version

But if moral persons go in there simply due to their lack of belief then it does not make it any more moral.

It was their choice to believe in what they want. Its not immoral if you choose that way yourself. I do not know weather or not God shows them the way in afterlife, but I beleive he doesnt. While my knowledge on christian theism is decent (not my words, so I was told) it is way far from perfect. So i am not able to answer that with more detail.

As for the old testament, I find most of it to be more an account of immorality than I find it to be a moral guide.

Agree.

Glad there is something we agree on.

Is there any teaching about moral in the bible (both testaments as they both come from god) with which you do not agree then?

Not really, no. At least, to my knowledge of their morals.

Off the top of my head I disagree with the part of the new testament that says that slaves should be obedient to their master. I can understand why a slave would be obedient from a practical perspective (to avoid getting beaten) but I cannot see how it would be a moral precept.

You have to undestand that back when that was written, slavery was still considerd normal. I believe what Jesus meant is that slaves should respect thier masters. And I dont beleive that goes not only for slave-master relations but for all kind of authority relations. After all, jesus teaches us that all men are equal.

Its a jewish book and the teachinf of Judism, it holds no importantce to me

Fair enough, it goes back to you being mostly a deist with a christian flavour rather than a christian.

What? that post had nothing to do with faith, I was just commenting about the person that is having hallucinations, probably knows the stuff he sees is due to his/hers sickness.

But most persons that have hallucinations know that the stuff they are seing is not there and that they are ill, as PROVEN by medicine. Not the same case with the faith in higher power (God)

We agreed to somewhat agree, somewhat disagree on what led to that (at least I did earlier in this post) so let's not go back in there. A schizophrenic person probably wouldn't know these were hallucinations before being diagnosed though.

They do not cause them to exist, but given that chasira or snow are real, the boy can feel their existance and presence with the true orthodox faith.

Chasira in my example is NOT real. For the rest, see above about agreeing to disagree.

Excellent.

Souls that do not accept God, are pretty much destroyed. Maybe destroyed is too big or too ugly wordbut they sure are lost in thier own darkness of afterlife, which is quite terrifying, in my opinnion.

Souls are generally taken to be the essence of one's being so atheists believe that their "soul", that is their being, is destroyed wehn they die. You might see it as terrifying but even if it is what happen to my "soul" after death then it does not terrify me any more than it terrified Mark Twain:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

You had no soul before God decided to grant you a gift of life - thats an theistic view. You had no life before you were born, you had no karma, you had no choice nor free will. Afterlife is much different that ''beforelife''(is that even a word?). You did not exist before you were born, but you existed before you died and thus your life can effect your afterlife.

The only ''laws'' God gave to people were 10 commandments

First, it is not the case as most of Leviticus is God giving laws directly to the people (the 10 commandments are simply the most important ones), and part of deuteronomy is god giveing laws through Moses (see Deuteronomy 11:27 were Moses specifically state that the commands he is about to give come from god).

You raise a good point, Ill have to look up to it, than I'll come back to it

Second, even some of the ten commandments' infractions are punishable by death. For example see Leviticus 24:13-16 for the punishment against breaking the 3rd commandment (blasphemy):

"13 Then the LORD said to Moses: 14 “Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. 15 Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who curses their God will be held responsible; 16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death."

God condamns blasphemy as well as all bad and evil acts, there is nothing wrong about that. Altough the death part was taken from pagan religions i assume, as said so in Documentary Hypothesis (the thoery on authorship of Thora). Judism is solely based on correct laws and behaviour and it its main focus, while Christianity focuses on correct and othodox faith and that the morals Jesus Christ and God himself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

And where do they cite extra-biblical sources of either eyewitness accounts or records of jesus? Using the bible's claim that there was a man called Jesus as proof that there was a man called Jesus is like using the Wizard of Oz to prove that Kansas or Dorothy existed; it might be true or not but it provides no proof.

Here are non biblical evidence fo the existance of Jesus Christ of Nazareth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRQqYGf4O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqlFkGaDV_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUcXXbde4w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qUcXXbde4w&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

The problem lots of people have with the Bible today is that its too symbolic for some people to follow.  Also, define ''believe in Son'' did he mean beleive in him as a person, beleive in what he said or beleive that he is actuall deity of a son God. I dont know, but I know this: in Christianity, NO ONE is good enough for heaven, not even the christians themsleves.Even if you do believe in Jesus, you are still not good enough for heaven, I am not good enough for heaven either.There is no reason why should St. Peter let me trough the gates of heaven EXCEPT for the sacriface Jesus Christ made for the sake of mankind and its salvation

Well, there is also Mark 16:16:

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

If belief in his teachings was enough then why the need for baptism?

Again, I dont reckal that I said beleive in his teachings only will get you to Heaven, in fact Christianity teaches us that NO ONE is too good for heaven no matter how much of a good person he is.Of course a bad person has no chance of getting into heaven at allBaptism is important in Christianity becaue it marks a new born peron as a christian. But that wasnt said by Jesus Christ, was it?  You have to understand that jesus Christ, unlike his followers DIDNT want to start a new church nor religion. he simply wanted to show the people righteous path and right orals. His followers that founded a whole new church and religion and as such, needed to adopt or creat some of the rituals and customs from pagan religions, (such and cross, which orgin from egyptian pagan religions I believe), when you look at things, Jesus Christ had nothing to do with cross (except being crucified on it, just like thousands of peole before him) and yet that symbol is the primary one for his religion

In the end we will have to agree to disagree on those points too as they are different interpretations of the bible. I much prefer your interpretation to that of mainstream christianity even though I am not convinced by it.

Oh, I think you'll find that interpretetation of Christianity is much more mainstream that you think :) And I am glad we can end this, as I am going to vacation in 2 weeks, either Greece or italy, both have rich history of christianity btw :)