By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do we exist,GOD or BIG BANG theory?

Who created everything?

GOD 184 41.82%

BIG BANG 251 57.05%

Total:435

First off, I'm to assume that when you say "God" you mean the Judeo-Christian God.

This is already a faulty position because there are 1000s of gods that have existed throughout history, all of which (even the Judeo-Christian one) have been absolutely wrong about everything cosmology and evolution. What told us the earth is flat? Religion. What told us the earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around it? Religion. What makes us apologize for being alive (in Christianity, we are "born in sin")? Religion.

I've actually been reading up on this stuff lately, so I've learned a lot in the last couple of months.

Anyway, you can't say "God", you must just say a "prime mover". It's a deist vs theist type of thinking. A deist is someone who believes that something out there began the universe, then left us be. A theist is someone who says that not only something out there created the universe, but that something cares about US (out of all the things in the universe, why us and only us?), cares about what you eat, cares about who you sleep with and how, cares about what you do on certain days, etc.

So when you say "God", there's no foundation to it. It's pretty much impossible to move from the deist position to the theist position with any solid proof. And even still, it's hard to validate the deist position except for "well, I have no other explanation".

But not knowing how something happens doesn't equate to "Goddunit". The God of the Gaps arguments is horrendously flawed. At least with scientific explanation, we have some groundwork to how the universe began. The GOD answer is merely "I don't know how, so I'm going to chalk it up to something we can't possibly prove".

You can't possibly believe that modern scientific theory is "rediscovering" anything. Religion didn't know about relativity. Religion didn't know about germs. Religion didn't know about evolution. Religion didn't know about ANYTHING scientific, whether a physical science or a social science. Going from the Big 2 (Christianity and Islam), the same holy books that says that the earth is six to ten thousand years old and is the center of the universe is the same book that condones the rape of women.

Just look into the Hubble Telescope and tell me that #1 all of that was created for US and #2 you really see any sort of order (other than gravity keeping stuff together) <---creation believers tend to believe that the universe was "fine tuned" for our existence even though 99.9999999% is inhabitable and like 80% of our own planet earth is inhabitable

Around the Network
Degausser said:
...as someone studying a masters in Physics next year...

I might actually try weigh in with more if I can get around to reading some more pages... if anyone needs any clarification on actual theory behind the Big Bang and stuff though I should be able to help... I get the most of it up until we start talking 7 dimensions and curved Euclidian space time :(.

Well, I am most certainly NOT a physicist so if you do get around to reading some of the stuff I wrote and spot any obvious flase/obsolete stuff I would welcome any correction with terms that I can google (or links but links can be more work) to learn more.

However I am not asking you to do it because it is turning into book territory (I think we will see just how big a comment the system can handle), but if you do happen to read it of your own volition it would be welcome.

And of course this applies to anybody else spotting errors of mine.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

padib said:
By the way, Sri Lumpa, the rest of your post is still on my mind.

No worries.

Don't feel pressured to answer it either. I would not consider a lack of answer as a concession as I doubt either of us will convince the other and eventually reality (or boredom) will reassert itself and one of us will withdraw from the debate. I wouldn't want you to assume a lack of response on my part to be an admission so I would not assume a lack of response on your part to be an admission either (even us non-christians can see the value in the golden rule).

Actually my aim is not so much to convince you about the big bang and evolution as to:

1. Try to help you understand them better. Unfortunately I cannot make you understand them better than my own understanding of them, which is lacking as I generally do not have enough time to study them.

2. Improve MY understanding of them as while I often have a pretty good idea of what my argument will be I still have to google references, which causes me to read them and thus improve my understanding of them. I often read vulgarisation articles over the years and retain some of the main points but don't have time to look it up further. I have the time right now so our debate helps me learn more stuff too.

3. Try to make you understand why I and most scientist do not see the creationist approach as scientific.

Outside this debate, this (to me) is the most important point because science, for all its faults, is very useful not only to help us understand the world but also in giving us the tools to manipulate it. If you neuter it by injecting religion then while we would still have past advances it would slow down future progress by putting blinders on science. Scientists are only human and have their own blinders (as we all do) and the last thing they need is even more blinders.

Dr.Grass said:
melbye said:
I look at humanity and that is all the proof i need that there is no God

You have obviously not studied any philosophy or thought about the subject very much at all. If I seem harsh, then its just because comments like these are no different from ''I look at the bible and that is all proof I need that Jesus is the only way''. This is the way small minds think.

You need to boil down your misguided statement to:''How can God exist if there is suffering''. Now THAT'S a good question. If you actually look you'll find good answers to that too, except if you want to be cynical, which is kind of implicit in the tone of your comment.

Also an unjust world is not incompatible with a deist view of a god that created the universe as a gift and then does not intervene. Unfortunately we fucked it up bad.

Chrizum said:
snakenobi said:
Chrizum said:

It's obviously not a god, but who cares what caused our existence? Would it change anything?

it would show us our future

after death GOD's theory will send us into heaven or hell

BIG BANG theory will have no future for us

Like I said, it's obviously not a god that created life, and the notion of heaven and hell is ridiculous.

How so is it obvious? Do scientist know something the rest of the world doesn't? Please share with us 

Around the Network
padib said:

Gotcha, especially the admissions part, and I love point 2. For point 1, it's already working. For point 3, we'll be sharpening each other because I see it from the opposite end. As for the blinders, I know you can appreciate that there is bias on any side of the debate, and so putting blinders on can be done by any position, as it is a human flaw, not a religious one.

To Dr. Grass, I'm excited to see the your contributions to the debate.

The thing about adding religion to the science mix is that even though you might think that your religion would be a positive contribution to science, there are dozens and dozens of religion whose similar contribution to science you might not like if your wish to inject religion in science was to happen. And the only reason each person thinks their religion contributes positively is because they believe its premises.

So it is not so much about merely adding the bible to science as adding all holy texts to science (or at least all those still believed, we might get away with omitting Greek mythology). I think science already has enough on its plate with this world not to bother with those world imagined by man*.

* even if one religion is true, most others would still come from man so on average that statement is true, with possibly one or a small number of exceptions.

Incidentally, today is Gregor Mendel's* 189th anniversary.

*the father of modern genetics, an important component of evolution.

Dr.Grass said:
FaRmLaNd said:
The big bang isn't a who. With that minor quibble aside, I certainly think the big bang is the most credible explanation that currently exists. Its actually supported by data!

There are too many people spewing their hateful comments here to reply to them all so I'll just comment on your rather neutral and common viewpoint...

As possibly the ONLY real physicist/mathematician on this site I have to tell you that:

1) The big-bang theory arose out of necessety, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS SUPPORTED BY DATA. The red-shift observed in light is NOT fully understood.

2) There are unsolvable problems in the model including; Singularity, origin of "Lumpiness", high-energy interactions etc.

3) THERE IS NO THEORY OF THE NUCLEUS. Read those words. There exists NO theory for the interaction between sub-nuclear particles. Models are built with data. We know next to nothing.

4) Modern Cosmology has WAY more assumptions and approximations than any of you seem to believe. The current model of the universe is certainly on shaky ground, and while it may prove to represent reality to some extent, it is not taken very seriously by many of the world's biggest brains.

So in short, STOP believing everything you see on BBC just because its made by someone with a PhD, and for heaven's sake LEAVE people alone who believe in a divine creator - ESPECIALLY if they aren't fanatic.

Taking all of your points at face value, which is something I must since I'm no physicist. I simply said most credible currently and supported by data. That statement still stands, regardless of how shaky it may or may not be. I don't expect science to understand everything and I have no problems with details and theories changing over time, science is self correcting for a reason.

This is important due to the fact that this thread contrasts something that has some data to back it up even if as you say our understanding is very incomplete,tentative and subject to change with something that has absoutely no data to back it up and poor arguments irrespective of the lack of data.

This is a thread that contrasts God with the Big Bang, arguments are going to happen and offense will be taken. So what?

So in short, STOP believing everything you see on BBC just because its made by someone with a PhD, and for heaven's sake LEAVE people alone who believe in a divine creator - ESPECIALLY if they aren't fanatic.

Dr.Grass said:

1) The big-bang theory arose out of necessety, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS SUPPORTED BY DATA. The red-shift observed in light is NOT fully understood.

Sure, but it is true of all theories. They arise out of the necessity to explain new data either not explained by old theories or that contradict old theories.

Saying that the big bang is supported by the red-shift is circular as the red-shift was part of the reason the big bang was formulated but saying that the big bang is supported by the cosmic background is not as it was predicted by the big bang.

2) There are unsolvable problems in the model including; Singularity, origin of "Lumpiness", high-energy interactions etc.

I don't claim that the big bang (or evolution) is the be all end all of scientific theories and will never be replaced so I don't see it as a problem. I only see it as the current best explanation for a wide number of phenomenon.

I might even be wrong as theories are constantly formulated and there might be one that explains things better but isn't on my radar as I mostly have a layman's interest in the subject but I am confident that given enough time* such a theory will gain support. Meanwhile I am content to accept the big bang as the best explanation that I know of and let scientists do their thing.

* because of the "science advances one funeral at a time" observation and the need to accumulate evidence to challenge theories

3) THERE IS NO THEORY OF THE NUCLEUS. Read those words. There exists NO theory for the interaction between sub-nuclear particles. Models are built with data. We know next to nothing.

Well, we drifted from the big bang to evolution but I think we mostly stayed away from quantum mechanics so I am not sure the relevance of this on the debate. If it is to point out that science doesn't explain everything I personally claim no such thing, just that it explains the most about the physical world.

If you think I am wrong with that then I would welcome learning about a discipline that does it better.

4) Modern Cosmology has WAY more assumptions and approximations than any of you seem to believe. The current model of the universe is certainly on shaky ground, and while it may prove to represent reality to some extent, it is not taken very seriously by many of the world's biggest brains.

The question in the debate (at least between padib and me) is not so much whether the big bang is perfect as whether it is better theory than creationism to explain what we know of the universe.

So in short, STOP believing everything you see on BBC just because its made by someone with a PhD

Yeah, argument from authority doesn't work in science any more than in religion, you have to look at the theories and what support them and what doesn't.

for heaven's sake LEAVE people alone who believe in a divine creator - ESPECIALLY if they aren't fanatic.

I disagree. If padib was all fire and brimstone and "you're gonna go to hell if you believe in the big bang" in his argumentation then it would be futile. If my aim was to convert him into believing it then it would be futile too.

As my aim is to both further my understanding and his and to try to make him understand why most scientists see creationism as pseudo-science I think I have some small chance of success in at least the first two aims.

Sri Lumpa said:
Player1x3 said:

Snow can be seen and felt on Earth, it has been witnessed by millions of people with thier eyes in this physical world, God cant, thats why your explnation fails. And kid from Sahara is likley to learn or at least hear about snow, so thats annotherreason why your debunking failed.

My analogy includes him not being told about snow by people who have experienced it. He is not told and has never seen snow so while he can imagine snow he can't know through faith that snow exist. The same with us and god. The kid can know through experience that snow exists by traveling to a snowy place but until he does he can't know, just believe in it. Similarly we can know through experience if god exist, by dying, but before we do so we can't know that god exist, only believe it.

Again, God is different. The reason God doesnt show himself to people is so that people can keep free will. Also, even when you have faith, you cant ''see'' God in literal meaning of that word, rather you can FEEL his presence in your life and his existance. Thats not the case with snow.

Ok my bad, but I think you understand why I misinterpreted it and why another poster thought it stupid. We also probably have a different definition of rational and irrational as for me faith, not being based on evidence, cannot be rational. Now it doesn't mean that faith cannot use reason as once you take the bible's veracity on faith you can apply reason on its claim to construct religious arguments, but the foundation, being based on faith is irrational.

Going by that logic, you are also implying that love is irrational, and thus, stupid too. (because thats what irrational mean-stupid, only less harsh sound). Now why would you call love stupid when billions of people describe it as the best thing of mankind? I can see why you think belief in God is stupid, but love?

Faith that shows loving God that promotes peace love, equality and respect? Than yes, they can see it too, as both of those religions promote the same things that God of Christianity and Christ does. Thats not a rebuttal, you almost confirmed my point.

No because I am not restricting it to faiths that are compatible with yours but also those that are not, so that the faith of a muslim jihaddist in a warloving god would be just as valid a path to him knowing such a warlike god exists as your faith of a loving god is a valid path to you knowing that a loving god exists.

What? Oh hell no. Thats not how it works, its not that easy. See how I used 2 words ''true or correct'' faith? That means, one cannot simply believe in God, but do the exact opposite his God said and hope to find him or seek him. One has to have ortohodox faith and good heart, and of course NOT BE FOOLED BY FANATICS AND SEE THE TRUE POINT OF HIS/HERS RELIGION.Now, I cant speak for ALL, but huge majority of real religions do favour and teach the things I mentioned  in my post above.

To go to the extreme, as you cannot disprove god being an atheist is an act of faith in the absence of a spiritual world so that according to you their faith leads atheists to know that there is no god and no spiritual world. How is it compatible with your faith letting you know that there is a god and a spiritual world?

Atheism isnt a belief, its a lack of belief. Note I said ''in THEISM, faith CAN (but not neccesarly does) lead to knowledge'' not atheism

On a related note are you aware of the Baha'i's faith teaching of the unity of religion?

I have not heard about that religion, but their idea doesnt sound too bad for me at all.

Depends on the individual and his/hers faith. Spiritual world can bee seen trough faith.

I do not deny that they can be seen through faith. But seeing them through faith does not make them real and given that you will not know if they are real until you die then your faith cannot give you knowledge of them, only a stronger faith in them.

This is where we part ways, like I said, if you have true faith in God, it can lead you to discover or feel them FOR REAL ( I knew knowledge was a bad word to use). But than again, I dont except you to understand that, we shouldnt argue about this anymore, as we do see thing from different perspectives, and we would only end up going in circles, and in large debates such as this, that can be very annoying

Its true, I speak from experience. Just look at this web site for an example.

And a lot of women dress in teasing ways but it does not provide an excuse if one cannot temper their lust.

Hoq does this have anything to do with my post? The fact remains, huge majority of internet atheists are more sacreligious than irreligious

We should make a new reality TV show: one insensitive atheist/antitheist (Hitchens?) and one hypersensitive theist in a room for a month. That would be fun (you might want to have bouncers available to separate them before they kill each other).

I do not understand the point of this post. Isnt Hitchens dead?

But its not punishable by law, its only not welcome in some societies ( I already mentioned reasons for this), so they had no reason not to come out

Homosexuality has not been punishable by law either for years yet there still are plenty of people in the closet because they are afraid to be rejected by their family. Legal pressure is not the only thing in play, peer pressure can be even more powerful as it can lead people to break the law.

Lot of people expressed themselfes as atheists during the Age of Enlightment, if someone was really an athesit, it would probably come out as such, or at least as agnostic.And i sure if someone

But you need to look at the main point and purpose of Christianity if you want to fully understand it. Dont focus on small unimportant stories that were given to Christianity by other pagan religions.

I realise that you can perfectly consider christianity as a moral philosophy free from the baggage of its description of this world or of the spiritual world (see atheists for Jesus) and you seem to consider it free of its description of this world but with its description of the spiritual world. Not every christian agrees with you though (like padib who think that if the account of genesis is false then the whole edifice of biblical claims come crashing down) and they tend to be the most vocal minority.

Thats exactly how I view almost every religion. And Im not very educated on Genesis creation/evolution thing, so I cant argue about it. And Im sure hndreds of millions of Christians would disagree with me, but thats just how I see things. Also note that I am not whole pure christian, I am something like Christian-Deist, as I follow Christian teachings and moral principels but I dont follow Christian church.

Yes, but the nature of the world isnt the religion's main purpose. For the long time religious institiutions were the only source of science and knowledge, and thats why church manipullated religion and used it to explain the world.

Yes, God commanded 10 commandments and Moses wrote it. Jesus however, coverd all 10 commandments by saying ''Love and accept your God as a saviour and never do anything to others that you dont wish to be done upon yourself''hence why he accomplished law of Moses and promoted God's comands. But stuff like ''Book of Leviticus (part of the old testament)'' and similar hold no historical nor spirital place in Christianity.

I disagree with your interpretation of the bible as I simply see it as a contradiction in the bible but since I have no intention of trying to convert you to a literal interpretation of the bible I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Bible was written by and translated by many different people who lived  their lives during different periods of time, it is bound to be contradictionary somewhere. But all people who studied the Bible an agree on its main purpose

They are contradictionary because they teach different things. Heck, go read the first 3 sentences of this article

The reason why they are contradictory does not mean they are not. When the old testament holds some action as moral like stoning people to death for various infractions but Jesus says not to resist evil they are both teaching actions and those actions are contradictory (resist evil by stoning people to death vs do not resist evil).

Whatß There is a faous quote by Jesus that he said when a woman was about to get stoned to death: '#Let him who is without sin cast the first stone''

Do you disagree with the morals God and Jesus Christ teached people upon?

No tentirely. I agree with some of them like the golden rule (the spirit of it as read literally it would mean a masochist should inflict pain on others to follow it masochist isnt a sane human being and as such, not in position to make good moral choices) but I find the dogma that you cannot enter heaven but through belief in Jesus as a savior to be repugnant as it means that a person doing their best to be as moral as possible but not believing in the supernatural claims of the bible would not be accepted in heaven.I am sorry, but this is VERY WRONG. You dont have to see Jesus Christ as a son of God (we are all children of God) to be in heaven, what Bible says when ''accept Jesus as your saviour'' is that you accept him as a teacher of most important human morals not as a son of God. Muslims also accept Jesus Christ as a very important person, only not  as the literal son of God. Jews hold simmilar belief. In other word you do not go to heaven because you are a good person but because of the arbitrary criteria of faith in a particular person.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.       

This also mean that I find the whole concept of hell (which not all christians believe in though) immoral as being a moral person is not enough to spare you an eternity of torture (and since when is torture moral anyway?).

I already explained you the true meaning of ''Hell'. Do you want me to do it again? Hell isnt a place of torture, its a stae of soul in which the soul itself puts into. thats the short basic version

As for the old testament, I find most of it to be more an account of immorality than I find it to be a moral guide.

Agree.

I beleive all morals given by God are good, not because they are from God, but because I agree with them

Is there any teaching about moral in the bible (both testaments as they both come from god) with which you do not agree then?

Not really, no. At least, to my knowledge of their morals.

Do you see Leviticus as moral? I certainly don't. Note that seeing Leviticus as not applying to christians does not mean it is not moral as it is part of a moral code given by god.

Its a jewish book and the teachinf of Judism, it holds no importantce to me

Not at all. person that is still sane knows that hes having hallucinations, in fact most people realize the things they see during hallucinations are not there.

So are you claiming that you are not sane as you do not realise the hallucinatory nature of your faith derived "knowledge"?

What? that post had nothing to do with faith, I was just commenting about the person that is having hallucinations, probably knows the stuff he sees is due to his/hers sickness.

No, they dont. Schizophrenia is mental illnessjust because you can see things that arent there due to mental sickness doesnt mean its anything like seeing God trough true faith, and by ''seeing'#  dont mean seeing with your own eyes like hallucinations, but rather know that He is there, feel his presence.

Your argument was faith based. The origin of the faith (religious text or hallucination) is irrelevant; as long as they believe (i.e. have faith) in their hallucination your argument apply.

But most persons that have hallucinations know that the stuff they are seing is not there and that they are ill, as PROVEN by medicine. Not the same case with the faith in higher power (God)

I mean when a person is convinced that a higher power (God) exists due to his spiritual experince in life and faith.

it really depends on what exactly are you trying to realise or discover trough meditation. Now, I've personally never done anything like meditation myself, so I dont know weather or not you can discover the existance of higher being with meditation . I am not very educated on that stuff

Then I will go back to my example of the atheist's faith. Can an atheist know through his faith that god does not exist? 

Atheist person has no faith, that is obvious. An atheist, by definition, doesnt beleive in God, and as such, probably would never find or see God, even after he dies.

But the snow would still exist, and thats the main point. Its not important how you ''imagine'' God on his visual appereance,  what matters is that you have faith in him and that faith is later on proven

But the snow's existence would be totally independent from the boy's faith in it. If I had replaced snow with chasira, a completely fictional substance that i just made up, your argument is that the boy would know through his faith that chasira exists.

His faith in snow or chasira does not mean they exist and does not cause them to exist so it cannot allow him to have the knowledge of their existence. 

They do not cause them to exist, but given that chasira or snow are real, the boy can feel their existance and presence with the true orthodox faith.

Except that those Christians are wrong and your view on Hell is very wrong as well. Hell isnt a place , its a state of soul where a person PUT HIMSELF INTO. Its a state of soul in after life where soul is without god, but the soul putted it self there not God, for Gods love towards man is too big for Him to torture and burn his people.Stuff like fire, demons and torture are used as symbolics to present the afterlife without God.  

It may be wrong but it seems to be the view of hell offered by most of christianity. for reference my christian parents do not believe in an everlasting hell where people are tortured but believe in what they call gehenna, where souls not accepted by god are destroyed (i.e. a one time event instead of everlasting torture).

Souls that do not accept God, are pretty much destroyed. Maybe destroyed is too big or too ugly word, but they sure are lost in thier own darkness of afterlife, which is quite terrifying, in my opinnion.

You example fails, God would never hurt a person.

Then why all the laws punishable by death in the old testament?

The only ''laws'' God gave to people were 10 commandments

And Jesus really did exist, its a historical proven fact.

As far as I know the only eyewitness accounts are found in the bible which cannot be used as a source of its own historicity and there is no Roman record of his crucifixion. While it doesn't disprove his existence it certainly mean that it is not historically proven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

However I was not claiming that he did not exist, I said "like the deity of Jesus". Are you saying that Jesus's status as a deity is an historically proven fact and not a subjective belief?

You dont have to beleive Jesus Christ was son of God, just beleive in his teachings.

That's not what the bible says:

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

Believes in him, not believe in his teachings.

If you interpret the bible differently that is your right but I do not find it supported by the bible itself.

The problem lots of people have with the Bible today is that its too symbolic for some people to follow.  Also, define ''believe in Son'' did he mean beleive in him as a person, beleive in what he said or beleive that he is actuall deity of a son God. I dont know, but I know this: in Christianity, NO ONE is good enough for heaven, not even the christians themsleves.Even if you do believe in Jesus, you are still not good enough for heaven, I am not good enough for heaven either.There is no reason why should St. Peter let me trough the gates of heaven EXCEPT for the sacriface Jesus Christ made for the sake of mankind and its salvation.

If it has huge amount of evidence supporting it why dont you beleive in it and why is it still considerd a theory?

Newton's theory of Universal Gravitation is still a theory. So is Einstein's theory of General Relativity that proved Newton's theory incorrect because of its incompleteness.

You do not seem to understand that scientific theories are not proven, merely supported by facts.

And I do not believe in it because it is not an act of faith. I don't believe in gravity either but I accept Newton's theory as a very good explanation and Einstein's theory as an even better one though less practical as it is more complicated (for example NASA uses Newton's theory to launch rockets as the relativistic effects are monimal enough to ignore them for that purpose).

I don't believe in evolution but I do believe that it represents the best scientific explanation of the multitude of facts that supports it.

It is a subtle distinction but it means that if somebody came up with a theory that better explained those facts I would not have difficulty accepting that theory as the best explanation.

Yeah, sure, I  was just under impression that they were all proven, seeing as how many people are so vocal about it.