By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - CELEBRATION! Mexico wins GOLD CUP 2011!

RolStoppable said:
dany612 said:

*looks at profile* Hey your from Austria! How's life down there?

Yeah that was one of the highlights, Mexico could of had a chance. 

Life is great here. I ate kangaroo for breakfast and koala for lunch.

No, Mexico would have lost either way.

That is so awesome lol

No, Mexico tends to lose confidence once someone scores, they could have had a chance. Not to mention how mad they played after the controversial goal.

Around the Network
dano said:
I think that Mexico can be very good at times, and very bad at others, but the fact is that it beat the US team by a good margin and showed good skill, also, Giovani Dos Santos scored a goal that ranks up with the best, sadly, the team have never managed to shine when it has the chance and the momentum to, and at times have been outclassed by not so good teams..... but what the hell, i´m mexican and i´m happy that our team is the champion, now let´s hope it fares this well on the next tournament and proves itself against stronger teams.

Sadly that is the truth. Mexico was put to shame when it couldn't even beat South Africa during the World Cup. Y de que parte de Mexico eres?

hey awesome hey..... awesome uhm... hey
okay I shut up now.

Wish USA had won. Soccer needs to get more a footing in the USA. Soccer is mainly just in north/midwest/northeast (at least for colleges). The south mainly only cares about USA football. Soccer was my favorite sport when I grew up (played for over 10 years). It isn't the most fun to watch though unless they are very good teams. Watching an average soccer team on TV is about as fun as watching golf.

RolStoppable said:
dany612 said:

I still remember that Photoshop picture showing Austria and Australia with an arrow from a thread a long time ago.  Cracks me up every time people confuse Austria with Australia.  It seems to happen all the time on VGC with people thinking you are Australian.  Never gets old.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Wish USA had won. Soccer needs to get more a footing in the USA. Soccer is mainly just in north/midwest/northeast (at least for colleges). The south mainly only cares about USA football. Soccer was my favorite sport when I grew up (played for over 10 years). It isn't the most fun to watch though unless they are very good teams. Watching an average soccer team on TV is about as fun as watching golf.

A USA win would of done nothing. USA won the last Gold Cup and went on to win against the Spanish armada (Spain).  I find it a bit puzzling seeing how soccer is famous and strong with middle class whites but their pursue tends to change over time ('football and baseball'). If only soccer was advertised more here, and the English commentors are beyond boring. Watch a Spanish televised game, they sure know how to make it dramatic! 

sethnintendo said:
RolStoppable said:
dany612 said:

I still remember that Photoshop picture showing Austria and Australia with an arrow from a thread a long time ago.  Cracks me up every time people confuse Austria with Australia.  It seems to happen all the time on VGC with people thinking you are Australian.  Never gets old.

Wait he isn't Australian! What? :P

Acevil said:
sethnintendo said:
RolStoppable said:
dany612 said:

Wait he isn't Australian! What? :P

He must be an Australian living in Austria.  That is why so many people get confused.

dany612 said:
sethnintendo said:

A USA win would of done nothing. USA won the last Gold Cup and went on to win against the Spanish armada (Spain).  I find it a bit puzzling seeing how soccer is famous and strong with middle class whites but their pursue tends to change over time ('football and baseball'). If only soccer was advertised more here, and the English commentors are beyond boring. Watch a Spanish televised game, they sure know how to make it dramatic! 

Yea, a win wouldn't do much for USA.  I'd just rather see USA win than Mexico.  I think the sports culture in USA is changing slowly but you won't see any dramatic shifts anytime soon.  I believe youth soccer leagues in USA are doing decently (a lot of girls enjoy soccer in USA over other sports except maybe basketball and volleyball).  Maybe if they pussyfied the NFL to a point of tag football then people would flock to soccer.  Advertising it would help a little but that would only go so far.  Maybe if MLS was as good/competitive as the English Premier League then people would actually see that it interesting to watch.

sethnintendo said:
dany612 said:
sethnintendo said:

Yea, a win wouldn't do much for USA.  I'd just rather see USA win than Mexico.  I think the sports culture in USA is changing slowly but you won't see any dramatic shifts anytime soon.  I believe youth soccer leagues in USA are doing decently (a lot of girls enjoy soccer in USA over other sports except maybe basketball and volleyball).  Maybe if they pussyfied the NFL to a point of tag football then people would flock to soccer.  Advertising it would help a little but that would only go so far.  Maybe if MLS was as good/competitive as the English Premier League then people would actually see that it interesting to watch.

Well as the Hispanic/Latino population in America grows so will futbol (soccer). It will encourage competition among schools and so forth. But as long as the top networks undershadow soccer games, there is really no light to fire up .