By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The problem with modern video games summed up in one review

Most NES games can be finished in one sitting if you know what you're doing.

Ocarina of Time itself can probably be done in 2-3 sittings if you know everything, but more likely it will be about 23 sittings.

Anyway, I have always been a big fan of Japanese adventure and role playing games. I think after playing games like Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger on Wii Virtual Console, and then Ocarina of Time 3D, I can say that I am really wondering why these old games with graphics quality NO WHERE near as good as current gen games are somehow much more fun, more satisfying, and end up looking pretty enough. With all the graphical technology in LA Noire and Heavy Rain, they don't look as pleasing to me as Chrono Trigger does.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

While I dont exactly like when games completely hold your hand all the way through, I'm not fond of "discoveries" that are impossible w/o a walkthrough. (think of the zodiac spear in ffxii)

Secondly, games can hold your hand regarding where to proceed next and still be very difficult so the two don't completely correlate...not in any way e.g (ninja Gaiden for xbox pretty much let you know wherever you needed to go and most things were easy to find....didn't stop the actual game from being hard)

Lastly, not every genre need Adventure, side-quests, discovery, etc as the TC seems to think. I'd expect those in an epic RPG but not in an FPS. When playing an FPS, I want to simply shoot my targets and move on which is what they deliver. Due to the fact that FPS tends to overshadow other genres at this particular point in time, their perceived "flaws" tend to be projected on all gaming.

TC should stick to playing RPGs (which is what I do myself for the most part) then perhaps he'd have less reason to complain

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Jumpin said:
Most NES games can be finished in one sitting if you know what you're doing.

Ocarina of Time itself can probably be done in 2-3 sittings if you know everything, but more likely it will be about 23 sittings.

Anyway, I have always been a big fan of Japanese adventure and role playing games. I think after playing games like Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger on Wii Virtual Console, and then Ocarina of Time 3D, I can say that I am really wondering why these old games with graphics quality NO WHERE near as good as current gen games are somehow much more fun, more satisfying, and end up looking pretty enough. With all the graphical technology in LA Noire and Heavy Rain, they don't look as pleasing to me as Chrono Trigger does.

ad far as heavy rain and la noire go, they are more movie than game which is probably part of the reason why they are not as fun as older games, which were more about the game. like the guy who made the rant said, theres no need for these insane stories and cinematics, just give gamers a simple premise and let them play a game. also, as far as an exploration or puzzle section in a game goes, there shouldnt be any hand holding. a few hints and thats it, let the player do the rest on their own. its like developers ignore the fact that you can get a walkthrough for any game in a matter of seconds, they dont need to be holding hands in the game itself

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

The problem with games nowadays is that they are made to be played once and not meant to be replayed which is why people like putting collectables and what not. I like my games that take skill but can be beaten in one sitting and doesn't make me want to set aside time to beat the game. I want games to add not replace my life.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Khuutra said:
brendude13 said:
Khuutra said:

You had no less than three different sources of information for where to go next - Saria, Navi, and Sheik. Two of those you could talk to at any time. One of them would prompt you on her own if you were lost. None of them were subtle about what needed to be done.

Ocarina is not a difficult game to finish.

Navi game the most pointless hints, I decided to even even use "it", and I often had to go to Saria and Sheik to find out where to go next, playing the game was still a huge time wasting session which I found unrewarding, so I stopped playing it.

That you didn't like it is fine, but Navi's hints are very, very explicit most of the time. And you can't "go to" Sheik - she only appears in a few predetermined locations.

Say what you want to about it, the game isn't hard to navigate without a guide. You get stuck in a dungeon? Sure, I believe that. Stuck outside of one? Multiple times? You're stretching it a bit.

Yes I did get stuck outside before. There are times when I completeled a task or a dungeon and I had to idea where to go next. No hints were dropped whatsoever, the best example was before you had to go to Zora's domain. Why do I have to go there? How do I know I am supposed to go there? Navi didn't drop a single hint.

Sometimes it isn't even a town you need to go to, you have to travel to a secluded part of the map and shoot something with a slingshot or something rediculous like that.

Are you sure you were playing Ocarina of Time?

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Khuutra said:

That you didn't like it is fine, but Navi's hints are very, very explicit most of the time. And you can't "go to" Sheik - she only appears in a few predetermined locations.

Say what you want to about it, the game isn't hard to navigate without a guide. You get stuck in a dungeon? Sure, I believe that. Stuck outside of one? Multiple times? You're stretching it a bit.

Yes I did get stuck outside before. There are times when I completeled a task or a dungeon and I had to idea where to go next. No hints were dropped whatsoever, the best example was before you had to go to Zora's domain. Why do I have to go there? How do I know I am supposed to go there? Navi didn't drop a single hint.

Sometimes it isn't even a town you need to go to, you have to travel to a secluded part of the map and shoot something with a slingshot or something rediculous like that.

I have more playthroughs of Ocarina of Time than you've played individual Final Fantasy games. There's never any particular part of Zelda where you have to shoot something obscure withh your slingshot to advance in the overworld.

Navi does drop hints about it - I should know, I just played that part and she was bugging the piss out of me when I was running around the field doing nothing in particular.

You exaggerate.

Khuutra said:
brendude13 said:
Khuutra said:

I have more playthroughs of Ocarina of Time than you've played individual Final Fantasy games. There's never any particular part of Zelda where you have to shoot something obscure withh your slingshot to advance in the overworld.

Navi does drop hints about it - I should know, I just played that part and she was bugging the piss out of me when I was running around the field doing nothing in particular.

You exaggerate.

So you have completed the game 4 times?

And I believe you had to shoot something to lower a ladder near where your home town is (not a dungeon). It seems you failed to read the "OR SOMETHING REDICULOUS LIKE THAT" part, I don't remember this game very well, I am just making up examples here.

Either way, I have found myself on Hyrule field thinking "Where the fuck do I need to go next", there is no obvious place to go and Navi doesn't say a thing.

"You exaggerate"

No need to be so direspectful, grow up.

brendude13 said:
Khuutra said:

You exaggerate.

So you have completed the game 4 times?

And I believe you had to shoot something to lower a ladder near where your home town is (not a dungeon). It seems you failed to read the "OR SOMETHING REDICULOUS LIKE THAT" part, I don't remember this game very well, I am just making up examples here.

Either way, I have found myself on Hyrule field thinking "Where the fuck do I need to go next", there is no obvious place to go and Navi doesn't say a thing.

"You exaggerate"

No need to be so direspectful, grow up.

There is nothing disrespectful about pointing out your exaggeration.

You use your slingshot to lower a ladder in the Great Deku Tree. Navi flies up to and calls yoru attention to it, even allowing you to Z-target it (as I remember).

Before going to Zora's Domain, Navi tells you you should talk to Saria. Ask Saria what's up and she'll tell you that the last spiritual stone is held by King Zora in Zora's Domain.

There are no cases I can think of where the game doesn't nudge you in the right direction.

Khuutra said:

You use your slingshot to lower a ladder in the Great Deku Tree. Navi flies up to and calls yoru attention to it, even allowing you to Z-target it (as I remember).

Before going to Zora's Domain, Navi tells you you should talk to Saria. Ask Saria what's up and she'll tell you that the last spiritual stone is held by King Zora in Zora's Domain.

There are no cases I can think of where the game doesn't nudge you in the right direction.

I found you telling me that I was exaggerating quite insulting, I am not exaggerating anything, just telling the truth.

I knew you did it in the Great Deku Tree, but I swear I remember you doing it at the entrance of another temple in the same area.

And also, one of my main beefs was that I couldn't find Saria, and when I did find Saria, i didn't know where Zora's Domain was. Was there anything that pointed me in the direction of Zora's Domain? 

Either way, there were many times where I had no idea where to go next, I am not exaggerating anything, I have no need to, and you have no basis of for accusing me of exaggerating.

brendude13 said:
Khuutra said:

I found you telling me that I was exaggerating quite insulting, I am not exaggerating anything, just telling the truth.

I knew you did it in the Great Deku Tree, but I swear I remember you doing it at the entrance of another temple in the same area.

And also, one of my main beefs was that I couldn't find Saria, and when I did find Saria, i didn't know where Zora's Domain was. Was there anything that pointed me in the direction of Zora's Domain? 

Either way, there were many times where I had no idea where to go next, I am not exaggerating anything, I have no need to, and you have no basis of for accusing me of exaggerating.

The map screen showed you where all the major entrances and exits on Hyrule Field were, and the owl explains how to use it a few times. You passed it several times on your equipment screen, I'm sure, or referenced it in the couple of dungeons you did beat.

I can say you're exaggerating - if only through misremembering - because what you're saying isn't true. The game never leaves you without hints of where to go.