By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: PS3 revision with price cut comming!!!

Baalzamon said:
Yea, even though this is good news, it really should be locked for being in Microsoft.

That won't be necessary, with super awesome Mod 2.0 powers. Fixed.

OT: This source is questionable at best. I do want to believe it's true, but most of the article is spent talking about copy protection, and then at the end, the author threw in "Oh, by the way, there could be a price cut, too".

This would be a good thing to stick on Rumo(u)r Busters, though.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Well... 2 Years ago, when the PS3 Slim was revealed...

I predicted this. I said there would be a slimmer slim, because the Slim they had wasn't really slim. This one will be slim. I like the word slim.

SLIM!

I really don't think the PS3 can get much slimmer, if at all.  I think this revision is focusing more on anti-piracy and less on actual cost reductions of the build materials.

The timing for the price cut sounds about right, though. I am predicting a $50 cut on all PS3 models.

drive/slot loading drive + external psu + 60gig HDD + no wifi

^ thats all they need for a budget version

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Carl2291 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Well played....well played carl!

Also providing we trick Bowser into eating a mini mushroom the tallness will represent sales!! (Luigi is taller than Mario or Bowser tehehe)!

Longer LEGS too! Confirming what most of us and crrazzyyman especially knew and shio/elgrancabeza especially did not know - The PS3 will have a 15 Year lifespan!

Fixed!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Skeeuk said:

drive/slot loading drive + external psu + 60gig HDD + no wifi

^ thats all they need for a budget version

60GB HDD would cost more than the current 160GB to use, and wifi is a minute cost per machine.  External PSU is the only thing I see that could make it a bit slimmer, but still we are talking half an inch maybe? I'm not sure any of those things would be able to cut much cost though.  The major costs of the system are the BD drive, the Cell, and the RSX.

They can safely cut $50 off per machine and still break even or make a small profit without changing anything other than maybe a cpu/gpu die shrink or something.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Well played....well played carl!

Also providing we trick Bowser into eating a mini mushroom the tallness will represent sales!! (Luigi is taller than Mario or Bowser tehehe)!

Longer LEGS too! Confirming what we already knew - The PS3 will have a 15 Year lifespan!

Maybe even 30 Years lifespan, they will start selling it on Mars.

Well looks like I will have to wait to see if this rumor comes to pass. It probably will be just a $50 price drop if it happens.

I might buy a 32/40nm PS3 (if that's what it is... the current models are 45/40nm) just to have it last forever, because its power usage would be insanely low, and it'd probably last for eons.

I called this a while ago. PS3 hardware needs an update if they are serious about PS Move. Having no rear USB ports is retarded. I don't want my Eye to be plugged in the front of the system. Especially when I have a headset and charging cord that I need USB ports for. Also they better put 802.11n in it.

Procrastinato said:
I might buy a 32/40nm PS3 (if that's what it is... the current models are 45/40nm) just to have it last forever, because its power usage would be insanely low, and it'd probably last for eons.

EDIT: Nevermind you are right. My slim is 45/65. I guess the latest are still 45/40/