By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony always improves Nintendo's innovations

The thing is, while Nintendo doesn't typically create the new technology, they tend to be the ones that take the risk and say "Okay nobody is going to expect us to do this...." and it normally works. They base their entire system around something none of us would ever expect them to. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Yeah, Sony made a portable console with an analog nub (and the PSV is gonna have two). Sony made a console with HD resolution. The things that Sony goes with are things that you or I could have come up with. The things Nintendo goes with are the "It's so crazy, it just might work" concepts.

Nobody could predict what the N64's controller would look like. Nobody could predict what the Gamecube controller would look like (loser or not, the face button design was genius). Nobody could predict what the Wii controller would look like and nobody could guess what the Wii U controller would look like. Sony is a great company but they tend to play it safe.*

*And don't give me that PS3 costs $600 so they didn't play it safe stuff, either. You and I know Sony planned to win this gen by piling on a bunch of expensive features and adding more power. That's the safe route.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:

You have a couple of good point but for the software side of thing, what are you basing this off? Nintendo are constantly rehashing the same IP over and over. Outside of personal preferences, Sony does innovate more when it comes to software. Also, your completely omitting to talk about the other thing where Sony innovated. Its not like all their ideas comes from Nintendo. Cross platform play or eyetoy as example.

Beside, its pretty normal to take what works well from your competitor, making it better if possible, Nintendo does it too. As example, the thumbstick controller existed before the N64, Nintendo were the first to apply it to home console, but it was also the first 3D centric console.

I just like Nintendo games better, it's just personal preference, it's not that all Nintendo games are better than Sony games, but I see Nintendo as the superior game developer.

Also, I wasn't talking about Nintendo not copying anything from it's competitors, they obviously do, but they never seem to improve innovations from others. Something that Sony always does.

I'm not criticizing anyone here, in fact I've enjoyed every improvement Sony has done, and I thank them for that, because Nintendo is so stubborn that they won't even include clickable thumbsticks on Wii U's controller, and I'm pretty sure they won't have a trophies/achievement system (something I don't care about, but it would mean more sales for them)

The point of this thread was to let you realize that there is a high chance that Sony could improve Wii U's controller because in the past they've improved every innovation Nintendo has brought to the table 

I think Nintendo should have never backed out of the SNES disc system deal with Sony, and perhaps Sony and Nintendo would be working together still.

d21lewis said:
The thing is, while Nintendo doesn't typically create the new technology, they tend to be the ones that take the risk and say "Okay nobody is going to expect us to do this...." and it normally works. They base their entire system around something none of us would ever expect them to. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Yeah, Sony made a portable console with an analog nub (and the PSV is gonna have two). Sony made a console with HD resolution. The things that Sony goes with are things that you or I could have come up with. The things Nintendo goes with are the "It's so crazy, it just might work" concepts.

Nobody could predict what the N64's controller would look like. Nobody could predict what the Gamecube controller would look like (loser or not, the face button design was genius). Nobody could predict what the Wii controller would look like and nobody could guess what the Wii U controller would look like. Sony is a great company but they tend to play it safe.*

*And don't give me that PS3 costs $600 so they didn't play it safe stuff, either. You and I know Sony planned to win this gen by piling on a bunch of expensive features and adding more power. That's the safe route.

That's one post I can agree with 100%.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Aielyn said:
Sony has a habit of taking anything Nintendo does, and doubling it. N64 controller has one analog stick? We'll put two on our controller. SNES controller has two shoulder buttons? We'll do four. N64 had one rumble pak? We'll have dual rumble! Nintendo made their consoles compatible with four controllers? We'll kick it up to 7 (only because the technology chosen doesn't like 8).

Even in handhelds. DS had one touchscreen? We'll have two on Vita.

Even when taking MS's innovations. Xbox 360 had three cores? We'll put in seven (more than double, here).

What I want to know is, how is Sony going to "double" what was added to Wii U?

Do you even know what you're talking about?

The CELL processor was in development long before the 360's setup was set in stone. ¬_¬

Around the Network

The DS has a single-touch touch screen... PS-Vita will have TWO multi-touch surfaces!

Does that count? Am I doing it right?

4 ≈ One

Being the devils advocate that I am. I would like to point out a few things. Firstly what gives anyone the impression that Nintendo pioneered force feedback, analog sticks, or motion controls. Hate to break any hearts with this, but these ideas didn't come from Nintendo. Not only did other companies or institutions create them. Many of them were already old hat in gaming. Sega used force feedback in arcade games in the late seventies. The Analog stick seems to have been used by Atari over a decade for the 64 was released. Motion controls please these have been a staple in shopping malls for decades. Beyond all this these ideas didn't just resolve out of the Aether. By and large they came out of Academia, and the Military complex.

Nintendo is by no means a pristine font of gaming originality. They have done plenty of stealing, borrowing, and the ever popular plundering. Which brings me to my second point. This is one hundred percent okay. Good ideas should be used with no negative connotation. Gaming builds on success, and not on uniqueness. I would rather the console manufacturers focus on good designs rather then doing something someone else hasn't done yet.

Speaking to Nintendo software being innovative. That is at best wishful thinking, and at worst total bullshit. Really it is not a matter of opinion either. Ninety percent of the games they are putting out are ninety percent the same, and that simply doesn't qualify as anything other then stagnant. It isn't that franchises are necessarily a horrifically terrible thing. However you must have the conviction to make some real changes, and expand what is being sold. Nintendo games sadly follow very rigid formulas.

Not that Nintendo fans by and large don't adore Nintendo for doing this. That brings me to point three. The fans who boast about how innovative Nintendo is are usually the same people who are least tolerant of change. Talk about a major overhaul to any main Nintendo series. I guarantee you will be heavily attacked. Since no change is exactly what they want. The point being that even a small change seems purely massive to them even when it is not.

d21lewis said:

nooo not really. a cheap 300 dollar slight ps2 upgrade would have been playing it safe. and you can't get more unsafe and risky than the cell processor

Sony do not play it safe at all, not justin hardware but software too, heavy rain vs the 1000th re-skin of the same mario game

the wii was the result of Nintendo having nothing to lose, the being genisus innovators

Aielyn said:
Sony has a habit of taking anything Nintendo does, and doubling it. N64 controller has one analog stick? We'll put two on our controller. SNES controller has two shoulder buttons? We'll do four. N64 had one rumble pak? We'll have dual rumble! Nintendo made their consoles compatible with four controllers? We'll kick it up to 7 (only because the technology chosen doesn't like 8).

Even in handhelds. DS had one touchscreen? We'll have two on Vita.

Even when taking MS's innovations. Xbox 360 had three cores? We'll put in seven (more than double, here).

What I want to know is, how is Sony going to "double" what was added to Wii U?

WiiU supports one WiiU controller, PS3/Vita hybrid will support 2 ?

( though i believe Nintendo said that they are doing research into using 3DS's as extra controllers and might try to get a second tablet controller to work + Wiimote's work...)

Sony is like Nintendo's younger annoying brother that tries so hard to become like!!