By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony always improves Nintendo's innovations

Everyone copies Nintendo. They are leaders for Innovation. However some of the upgrades you mentioned would have come naturally over time.

Rumble pack built in, did you expect that to remain a peripheral?

Also Wireless controllers, with built in batteries.

Literally everything is copied from Nintendo. The handheld controller, D-Pad, Start/Select buttons, 4 right thumb buttons (ABXY), shoulder buttons, rumble, wireless controllers, 4 player consoles, trigger buttons (Z on N64, gamecube trigger shoulders), Motion gaming, list goes on. MS only introduced the Home button, and Sony did duel analog with built in batteries, that's it.

P.S. PS1 controller with duel clicky analog sticks came before the N64 controller

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

Everyone copies Nintendo. They are leaders for Innovation. However some of the upgrades you mentioned would have come naturally over time.

Rumble pack built in, did you expect that to remain a peripheral?

Also Wireless controllers, with built in batteries.

Literally everything is copied from Nintendo. The handheld controller, D-Pad, Start/Select buttons, 4 right thumb buttons (ABXY), shoulder buttons, rumble, wireless controllers, 4 player consoles, trigger buttons (Z on N64, gamecube trigger shoulders), Motion gaming, list goes on. MS only introduced the Home button, and Sony did duel analog with built in batteries, that's it.

P.S. PS1 controller with duel clicky analog sticks came before the N64 controller

The N64 was released on 06/23/1996 in Japan, the Dual Analog controller (the predecessor to the first DualShock that didn't have clickable thumbsticks) was released on 04/25/1997 in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

If ninty getting success with wii u controller, what sony gonna do? Hmmmm.... Thinking harder sony! Lol

sepoer said:
If ninty getting success with wii u controller, what sony gonna do? Hmmmm.... Thinking harder sony! Lol

They're already hinting at connectivity potential with the Vita.  Nothing prevents them from pushing this even further for the PS4.

Sony also always takes Nintendo's profitable ideas, and somehow figures out a way to copy it and lose billions on it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Nintendo are probably the least innovative manufacturer in the biz, Sony copies Nintendo's copied concepts, it's like stealing from a thief. Outside of maybe the rumble and the two screens on the DS, they haven't done that much. Now Sega is a whole different story, they've pretty much had a hand in nearly everything.

Sony works on old concepts and makes them better, every improvised concept they've done has basically become an industry standard (dual analogue, built in rumble, BC in consoles, optical media). This thread is an innocent one, but claiming Nintendo is innovative only means that you don't know to much about gaming history. I don't like when credit is given to undeserving companies, people could at leas be a little bit respectful towards the real creators of analogue sticks, touch screen gaming, 3D plat-forming, side scrolling plat-formers and console motion controls and not just throw all the praise on Nintendo just because they had the marketing budget to make the concepts well known.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Finally someone makes this! I heart you. lol

lightbleeder said:

When Nintendo introduced two shoulder buttons on the SNES controller, Sony released the Playstation with a controller that had four.

When Nintendo introduced a thumbstick on the N64 controller, Sony added two thumbsticks to the PS controller, and also made them clickable.

When Nintendo introduced the rumble pack for the N64 it was an external peripheral that needed two AAA batteries, then Sony added rumble to the PS controllers and made it a default feature that didn't need batteries.

When Nintendo introduced motion controls on the Wii, Sony tried to do their part adding the SixAxis feature to the PS3 controller (a feature that ir very much ignored by developers) which wasn't very useful, but then released the Move controller that is more precise and better for motion gaming than Wii's controller (even with Wii motion plus) and also made nunchuck controller wireless.

I'm not trying to give credit to Sony, al the credit goes to Nintendo for innovating, also from the software standpoint I think Nintendo is the better developer, but it makes me wonder if Sony would improve on the Wii U's controller at some point...

What do you think?

Most of those points i give credit too but for motion controls, I actually have a motion control for PS2 so wouldnt technically Sony be the first?  Its the Onimusha sword controller.  It has buttons on it and when you swing the controller your character swings his weapon.  Since Sony didnt mass market it not many knew about motion controls until Wii came out.  Guess you can say Nintendo improved on Sony for this one.

But you have to admit that Sony brings their own things as well, just it may not appeal to you as it might to others.  PS2 was the first to use DVD and plays DVD movies.  Same with PS3 and Blu-ray using real HD (HDMI port).  I remember when PS3 was first release and devs were complaining how difficult it was to make games on Blu-ray, well if Wii U and next Xbox uses Blu-ray then they can all thank Sony for their innovation.

One thing Nintendo didnt improve was their usage of DVD for the Wii by not allowing it to play DVD movies.  Seriously with the profit Wii made Nintendo couldve easily afforded it.  I love my Wii but I had to hook up my PS2 to the same tv just to watch DVDs.

Honestly i just think everybody improves on everybody's innovations, thats just how the world is.  As long as credit is given where credit is due then im all for it.  I know Nintedo created and helped shape the gaming world but dont turn a blind eye and disregard the innovations that Sony and MS brought too.  

Doobie_wop said:
Nintendo are probably the least innovative manufacturer in the biz, Sony copies Nintendo's copied concepts, it's like stealing from a thief. Outside of maybe the rumble and the two screens on the DS, they haven't done that much. Now Sega is a whole different story, they've pretty much had a hand in nearly everything.

Sony works on old concepts and makes them better, every improvised concept they've done has basically become an industry standard (dual analogue, built in rumble, BC in consoles, optical media). This thread is an innocent one, but claiming Nintendo is innovative only means that you don't know to much about gaming history. I don't like when credit is given to undeserving companies, people could at leas be a little bit respectful towards the real creators of analogue sticks, touch screen gaming, 3D plat-forming, side scrolling plat-formers and console motion controls and not just throw all the praise on Nintendo just because they had the marketing budget to make the concepts well known.

The process of creating something new is always a long way. There are very many different people and/or companies involved. Of course analogue control, rumble, motion-controls etc. were invented before Ninty used it for their current console. Nevertheless, it was Ninty that invented these features as console-specific features, so of course Ninty innovates.

Do you think optical media, built in rumble etc. was invented from the very beginning from Sony? min 3 of your 4 arguments are rediculous, imo. dual analogue after Ninty built N64 controler, built in rumble after Ninty introduced it and optical media, you know the Saturn right?

So every company adds something new in the end. And i agree with the conclusion that Ninty introduced many things on the console market and Sony makes them better . There's never given credit to the basic researchers, i doubt you know any of them.

Don't forget, without Ninty Sony most probably wouldn't be part of the gaming market at all.

Aielyn said:
Sony has a habit of taking anything Nintendo does, and doubling it. N64 controller has one analog stick? We'll put two on our controller. SNES controller has two shoulder buttons? We'll do four. N64 had one rumble pak? We'll have dual rumble! Nintendo made their consoles compatible with four controllers? We'll kick it up to 7 (only because the technology chosen doesn't like 8).

Even in handhelds. DS had one touchscreen? We'll have two on Vita.

Even when taking MS's innovations. Xbox 360 had three cores? We'll put in seven (more than double, here).

What I want to know is, how is Sony going to "double" what was added to Wii U?

Dual touch screen controller? It'll be like a gigantic DS!!