By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony always improves Nintendo's innovations

When Nintendo introduced two shoulder buttons on the SNES controller, Sony released the Playstation with a controller that had four.

When Nintendo introduced a thumbstick on the N64 controller, Sony added two thumbsticks to the PS controller, and also made them clickable.

When Nintendo introduced the rumble pack for the N64 it was an external peripheral that needed two AAA batteries, then Sony added rumble to the PS controllers and made it a default feature that didn't need batteries.

When Nintendo introduced motion controls on the Wii, Sony tried to do their part adding the SixAxis feature to the PS3 controller (a feature that ir very much ignored by developers) which wasn't very useful, but then released the Move controller that is more precise and better for motion gaming than Wii's controller (even with Wii motion plus) and also made nunchuck controller wireless.

I'm not trying to give credit to Sony, al the credit goes to Nintendo for innovating, also from the software standpoint I think Nintendo is the better developer, but it makes me wonder if Sony would improve on the Wii U's controller at some point...

What do you think?

Around the Network

I'm going to find it hilarious if they do what they did with the motion control. Y'know, claim it's a gimmick for years and then release their own version.

I currently think Nintendo did the right thing by putting HD gaming on the Wii, and not following the crowd.

The analogue nub on the original DS was also great.

Rath said:
I'm going to find it hilarious if they do what they did with the motion control. Y'know, claim it's a gimmick for years and then release their own version.

They will be too busy adding all of that functionality to PsV-PS3 combo ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'd like to believe that Sony will not focus to heavily on that aspect of gaming. But who knows? I personally think they're going to go for creating a more social gaming environment. More technology cooperation like the Wii U is going to sport but with lower focus on motion control.

Around the Network

I laughed at the title

then I laughed at the OP

then I laughed even harder when I found out it was serious

XD!!!

how's that analog on the 3ds lmao

You have a couple of good point but for the software side of thing, what are you basing this off? Nintendo are constantly rehashing the same IP over and over. Outside of personal preferences, Sony does innovate more when it comes to software. Also, your completely omitting to talk about the other thing where Sony innovated. Its not like all their ideas comes from Nintendo. Cross platform play or eyetoy as example.

Beside, its pretty normal to take what works well from your competitor, making it better if possible, Nintendo does it too. As example, the thumbstick controller existed before the N64, Nintendo were the first to apply it to home console, but it was also the first 3D centric console.

Sony has a habit of taking anything Nintendo does, and doubling it. N64 controller has one analog stick? We'll put two on our controller. SNES controller has two shoulder buttons? We'll do four. N64 had one rumble pak? We'll have dual rumble! Nintendo made their consoles compatible with four controllers? We'll kick it up to 7 (only because the technology chosen doesn't like 8).

Even in handhelds. DS had one touchscreen? We'll have two on Vita.

Even when taking MS's innovations. Xbox 360 had three cores? We'll put in seven (more than double, here).

What I want to know is, how is Sony going to "double" what was added to Wii U?

Nintendo invents, Sony improves. It's kind of a douchie move but that's business or something....i don't know.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Carl2291 said:
I currently think Nintendo did the right thing by putting HD gaming on the Wii, and not following the crowd.

The analogue nub on the original DS was also great.

LMFAO! this is exactly what I was gonna type. and can't wait to see their online in action too...I bet it's unique and has not taken any ideas from the current HD's

and I wish I could say the same to ninty about taking competitions ideas and implimenting em better. I'm looking at you single nub

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!