By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:
When you look at what other R700 based GPUs can do, and then factor in some improvement due to modifications and developers optimizing for the particular GPU in the Wii U, I would not be surprised to find out that the Wii U could play current HD console games at 1080p with a frame-rate of 120fps with the higher detail models and textures from the PC version.

To put it another way, while the Wii U will (probably) not be state of the art technology by the time it is released the hardware in it will probably be about 5 years newer than the HD consoles. With how much further ahead the technology is, it shouldn't be difficult to support a higher resolution, better frame-rate and more detailed graphics.

Unless they stick a 4870 X2 in to WiiU, I don't see it doing anything at 120 frames per second at 1080p. Maybe 720p...

1080p@60 frames per second would be quite doable though with the best R700 based GPU. I doubt they would be doing much improvements to it, other than die shrinks...my guess is Wiiu gpu will be 32nm when it comes out in 2012.

Don't you think 120 fps is overkill?

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:
HappySqurriel said:
Aiddon said:
HappySqurriel said:
Aiddon said:
a comment on how powerful the system might be:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-u-is-actually-50-more-powerful-than-ps3---report/

That would definitely be most impressive

I tend not to trust these kinds of claims because they are often meaningless because they're so vague ...

The Cell processor has amazing theoritical performance that rivals many high end CPUs today, but its real world performance is far lower and not dramatically better than the XBox 360 CPU. Is the Wii U's CPU 50% more powerful in terms of real world or theoritical performance than the Cell processor? If it is theoritical performance how does it stack up against the Cell in real world performance?

What about the GPU, if your GPU can handle 50% more texture and geometric detail, the system has advanced features to create a more efficient Level of Detail system and culling systems (tesselation, occlusion culling, etc.) allowing you to get similar results while rendering 66% as many polygons, the system can run more and more advanced shaders resulting in a "50% perceived increase" in geometric detail off of the same number of polygons rendered, all while outputting at 1080p with a constant frame-rate of 60fps is the GPU 50% more powerful or dramatically more powerful?

Okay, I'm going to be as blunt as possible here: I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU JUST SAID. Seriously, all tht technobabble you just threw me is, well, meaningless. You might a well have been throwing Icelandic at a Japanese mean. This is part of the reason why I don't give a shit over Nintendo not announcing specific specs for the WIi U: because I wouldn't have the faintest clue what any of it means.

My questions were mostly rhetorical ...

To use an analogy from sports, if you had an athlete who was 50% stronger, 50% faster, had 50% better endurance and 50% better co-ordination and reflexes, had 50% better training and had 50% more experience would he be 50% better or dramatically better? It can be argued either way because there is no singular measure you can use to justify that the athlete is more than 50% better, but the results of these improvements in any real world competition would seem far more dramatic than a simple 50% improvement.

Lol consoles are machines.

And your point is?

kurasakiichimaru said:
disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:
When you look at what other R700 based GPUs can do, and then factor in some improvement due to modifications and developers optimizing for the particular GPU in the Wii U, I would not be surprised to find out that the Wii U could play current HD console games at 1080p with a frame-rate of 120fps with the higher detail models and textures from the PC version.

To put it another way, while the Wii U will (probably) not be state of the art technology by the time it is released the hardware in it will probably be about 5 years newer than the HD consoles. With how much further ahead the technology is, it shouldn't be difficult to support a higher resolution, better frame-rate and more detailed graphics.

Unless they stick a 4870 X2 in to WiiU, I don't see it doing anything at 120 frames per second at 1080p. Maybe 720p...

1080p@60 frames per second would be quite doable though with the best R700 based GPU. I doubt they would be doing much improvements to it, other than die shrinks...my guess is Wiiu gpu will be 32nm when it comes out in 2012.

Don't you think 120 fps is overkill?

For in game performance 120 fps is "overkill", when using a game as a benchmark 120fps at a particular resolution implies that detail could be significantly improved while still maintaining adequate performance at the same resolution.

disolitude said:
tarheel91 said:
disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:

My laptop with a 4850 ran Mass Effect at 60-80fps during hectic gameplay, 120fps was a common sight on quieter parts.  This was at 1920x1200 and 4XAA with all the effects set to max.

Don't know what to tell you.  That's what I saw in game.  Mine does come with built in OC and I was playing on a 19" screen. 

It's also the MSI version, though I'm not sure how different that makes it.

Khuutra said:
Beuli2 said:
I do not care. I prefer to play some SNES games with 16 bit grapics but are like 82 times better than some today day's games.

Then... do so?

I won't, I have better things to do than that, like posting shit at VGChartz.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

You can't make a news post about something so old.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Barozi said:
sc94597 said:
snakenobi said:
they thinkg its wii all over again CAUSE wii u is still boasting of doing what this gen was done by hd console 

In which ways? By moving to a now, more acceptable, and widespread, resolution compared to 5 years ago? What do you want them to do? Have the console support 1440p, which very few televisions support? I do hope you aren't assuming that Nintendo has 'boasted' about anything other than the Wii U's resolution capabilities. If we're discussing the fidelity of the tech demos, then I have to disagree with your assessment, but regardless Nintendo hasn't been boasting anything specific in relation to them so your point is without subtstance. The tech demos pull off just as difficult feats, if not more, with  5 weeks of development behind them, as what we can see in the top of the line games on current generation platforms while running at Native 1080p and 60fps(compared to the sub-720p 30fps of current consoles.) Many of the things accomplished in both tech demos the PS360 struggle with, and that is at sub-720p/720p native resolutions. Let's not forget that both the cpu and gpu of the Wii U will be at least 3 generations ahead of what the PS360 have; and the cpu is based on a top of the line architecture from IBM. So what is 'boasted" by Nintendo? Games will run at 1080p 60fps with a lowest common factor of PS360 quality graphical fidelity and speculation based on hardware can tell us that it will be much more than that, but of course, with good reason, Nintendo is reluctant to give much more than what we get from the bolded until they're closer to release. So is Nintendo boasting or are you making assumptions and have a distorted idea that they're Nintendo's ideals of progression. But maybe you'll reveal something I have not observed nor considered that will make me see your statement as valid; however, I doubt it.

proof ?

At the moment Nintendo only confirmed that games can be upscaled to 1080p. Which is the same as EVERY single Xbox 360 game and about half of all PS3 games. 1080p is supported, that's it. Haven't read anything that they will run natively on 1080p or that they will all run at 60 frames per second.
Which is by the way VERY unlikely. It's not like the technology will suddenly stop. That Unreal Engine 4 promo tech demo won't run at 60FPS and 1080p on modern PCs.

1080p and 30FPS will be the absolute maximum that can be achieved with modern graphics. Doesn't mean though that technical less complex games like NSMB WiiU couldn't run with 60FPS. But that's not much different to XBLA or PSN games that also support native 1080p.

Proof?

You are both making assumptions. Nintendo said that the console was 1080p but they didn't say whether most/all games were native 1080p or whether they are 720p (or less) upscaled. We will have to wait until real games come out (or at least until 3rd party developers have had the final hardware for a while and can talk about it) to know whether it is only slightly more powerful than the PS360 (and thus mostly 720p upscaled except for select games) or if there is enough improvement over them to run most games at 1080p (though even then I would expect a few of the most demanding games to be at less than 1080p).

So can the Wii U do 1080p? YES. Can it do 1080p for most/all games out today on other consoles/PC? MAYBE. Time will tell, unless Nintendo starts talking up their hardware details (which I seriously doubt).

If I was Nintendo I would make sure that their new console can run most games at 1080p natively as while it wouldn't give them that much of an advantage against the PS360 it would help make sure that when MS and Sony launch a new console they can still get the same games, except toned down and maybe in 720p then.

That said, it would be hard for them to find a GPU that is barely more powerful than the RSX/Xenos, so I personally expect the PS3 to Wii U gap to be similar to the Gamecube to Wii gap (2-2.5 times more powerful). I don't base it on any source, just my expectations. 

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Barozi said:

proof ?

At the moment Nintendo only confirmed that games can be upscaled to 1080p. Which is the same as EVERY single Xbox 360 game and about half of all PS3 games. 1080p is supported, that's it. Haven't read anything that they will run natively on 1080p or that they will all run at 60 frames per second.
Which is by the way VERY unlikely. It's not like the technology will suddenly stop. That Unreal Engine 4 promo tech demo won't run at 60FPS and 1080p on modern PCs.

1080p and 30FPS will be the absolute maximum that can be achieved with modern graphics. Doesn't mean though that technical less complex games like NSMB WiiU couldn't run with 60FPS. But that's not much different to XBLA or PSN games that also support native 1080p.

Nintendo never once said anything about upscaling outside of stating Wii U would not upscale Wii titles.

And please don't comment about modern graphics if you're going to make silly statements like that.  Everybody that games on a PC just kinda snickered at you.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

See people talking aobut 60fps, like I said in another thread, that figure was mentioned by Sakurai while talking about Smash Bros. with Iwata:

Sakurai noted that as the Wii U is an HD system, this version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements

So a game like Smash Bros. could run at 60fps.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

glimmer_of_hope said:
To the OP:

Why bother writing anything about this. There are countless trolls that look for anything Nintendo related, and go in for the attack to try and bury their jealousy. It happens ALL THE TIME. They just can't believe that Nintendo can release a more powerful console, it goes against everything they value. It's always "not powerful enough" or "dooomzed" or some stupid sort of pathetic denial. All you have to do is read the posts.....always negative, always not believing, always FAIL !

All i know is when Wii U gets released i will be playing Super Mario HD and lovin' it.

No, you dont know what fail means, but your post is full of it.