By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VITA Screen not as good as Apple Retina Display....WHY???

PizzaFaceGamer said:
snakenobi said:
only pixel density is less but it is close to HD and you can't notice

and OLED is be way better than LCD in colour production and contrast and brightness

Okay i did not know this.  My friend who has an iPhone claims RETINA is the best in the world

I don't like apple products at all, but I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about.

I'm not much of a technophile

Lesson learned:

Do not create a thread claiming one thing is better than another without knowing a damn thing.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Euphoria14 said:

Retina display is bullshit in my opinion.

For example you mentioned it has a 800:1 contrast ratio.

My Samsung Captivate has a Super AMOLED screen with a 50,000:1 contrast ratio and produces much superior colors from my standpoint. iPhone 4 beats it in whites I believe.

I also heard that Retina display requires a back light, AMOLED does not.

Vita display probably also requires one, but if this thread is about wanting it to have a superior screen to what it has now, you would need to be asking for an AMOLED.

LCD beats AMOLED in colour fidelity (ie, AMOLED colours are super-saturated beyond reality), anti-aliasing due to the sub-pixels, and power consumption when displaying bright images, which is where I think you got "beats it in whites."

AMOLED beats LCD in viewing angle, contrast ratio, and power consumption when displaying dark images.

In practical tests, phones with LCD displays enjoy longer battery life than phones with AMOLED, which IMO is the most important attribute in a mobile display, given that both technologies look pretty damn good.

To answer the OP, the PSV is 960 x 540 (AKA qHD resolution) because that's conveniently one quarter the resolution of 1080p. That means scaling an image up and down from qHD to 1080p is really simple.

Convenience is also the reason why the iPhone 4 has a 960 x 640 display. They wanted a higher resolution without creating scaling problems for old images, so they used a display with four times the resolution of the previous iPhone screen. The DPI is utterly bonkers on a screen that small, and there's really no reason why the PSV should have a comparable resolution unless you're afraid your rez-wang won't measure up.

There is also Super AMOLED which has better battery life than AMOLED.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PizzaFaceGamer said:
snakenobi said:

and OLED is be way better than LCD in colour production and contrast and brightness

Okay i did not know this.  My friend who has an iPhone claims RETINA is the best in the world

I don't like apple products at all, but I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about.

Don't listen to apple owners tech ignorant propaganda

Vita screen is OLED vs retina being IPS with LED backlight

that alone means it's better

OLED has superior contrast and perfect blacks

OLED has reaction time at level of parts of miliseconds like Plasma-  IPS screen has few miliseconds

retina has advantage in pixel destiny but with pixel destiny comes price of having higher resolution with the same screen size - that would mean Vita would need more powerfull hardware for same effects and that would make it more expensive to make and cut battery power.

Also Vita oled already has quite a high resolution for 5" screen (i have 10" netbok with 1000x600 screen for comparison)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
snakenobi said:

Don't listen to apple owners tech ignorant propaganda

Vita screen is OLED vs retina being IPS with LED backlight

that alone means it's better

OLED has superior contrast and perfect blacks

OLED has reaction time at level of parts of miliseconds like Plasma-  IPS screen has few miliseconds

retina has advantage in pixel destiny but with pixel destiny comes price of having higher resolution with the same screen size - that would mean Vita would need more powerfull hardware for same effects and that would make it more expensive to make and cut battery power.

Also Vita oled already has quite a high resolution for 5" screen (i have 10" netbok with 1000x600 screen for comparison)

Thanks for clearing that up because I have no clue about what all these different type of screens are about!

PSVita...undoomed!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Lafiel said:
Euphoria14 said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
snakenobi said:

Retina display is bullshit in my opinion.

For example you mentioned it has a 800:1 contrast ratio.

My Samsung Captivate has a Super AMOLED screen with a 50,000:1 contrast ratio and produces much superior colors from my standpoint. iPhone 4 beats it in whites I believe.

I also heard that Retina display requires a back light, AMOLED does not.

Vita display probably also requires one, but if this thread is about wanting it to have a superior screen to what it has now, you would need to be asking for an AMOLED.

it wouldn't be an "OLED" if it needed a back light man

I know so called "LED TVs", which actually have a LCD screen and LED backlight, made things confusing, but all OLEDs are self luminous

btw amoleds from a technical standpoint are worse then oleds in picture quality as they group together sub pixels of the same color to deal with the relatively short life of blue colored oleds, so their pixels are bigger/there is more aliasing - that shoudn't have that much of an effect on real visible quality though, especially in high pixel density screens

I know, I was just stating one of the differences between the Super AMOLED in my phone to the Retina display in the iPhone4.

Edit - Oh shit, I just realized why you wrote that! I can't believe I wrote the Vita display might need a backlight. LMFAO!!!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
badgenome said:

that

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Yeah , this is one of those reasons why i hate this site

if the difference is anything like the iphone 4 from my brother in law and my galaxy S... then PSV is fine.
yes mine has less density but that is in the paper because in naked eye at 10 inch from my eyes i cant notice the difference...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Dgc1808 said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
snakenobi said:

Then you really shouldn't have made this thread the way you did....

I think that is asking a bit too much from him, if he didn't make this thread then how else could he make a SONY product look bad? He found a rare weakness and jumped at it.

...Even though he is wrong.

Apple basically like to brainwash their consumers into thinking that their technology is the best in the world, how else would Apple be able to justify the ridiculous price tags?

It isn't about resulotion. There are 720p TV's that could trounce a 1080p TV in image quality.

It's all about the technology used in the TV, the image processing, grey scale, colour reproduction and black level.

The fact that SONY are using OLED technology in the PSV screen means it should be brilliant in all of these aspects, probably one of the best screens in any handheld device.

HanzoTheRazor said:
Sorry PizzaFaceGamer, but u ignorance on OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) tech is amusing! Did u honestly think that it was just an enhanced LED screen???

Okay, here is the deal; I am a bit of a TV tech junkie and would have to say that OLED panels are by far the best TVs that I have ever seen. So, here goes;

OLED Specs
1. Contrast Ratio 1,000,000:1. Contrast ratio is the most important aspect of any screen. A contrast (black) ratio such as this produces unmatched color expression and picture detail.

2. Extremely bright picture with low power consumption. Perfect for day or night.

3. Exceptionally wide viewing angles unmatched by other screens.

4. NO BACK LIGHT

5. Environmentally safe

6. Here is the kicker... Rapid Panel response time for a clear, blur-free picture at a refresh rate of 1/60 of a sec!!! Perfect for games.

I think by creating this failed thread, u have lost a lot of respect on this site.

How can he lose something he never had in the first place?