By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Race for the Golden Disc

cdude1034 said:
Thanks for the feedback everybody. As you can probably tell, I tried to be a neutral as I possibly could with the write up, but it was incredibly difficult.

As for the predictions, they're just that. I've been historically low in the past, so this is a chance for me to redeem myself with some more extreme predictions.

It's interesting to see the everyone go back and forth for second place between Sony and Microsoft. Almost as interesting, Nintendo is unanimously the company of the year for everyone who's posted.

Honestly I believe it is a close call between MS & Sony given that both had uneven years but since MS remains ahead I gave them the nod. Sony is well poised for a big comeback next year though, and MS had better step up or it will be in 3rd place come 2010.

Around the Network

Golden Disk: Nintendo
This year has been simply amazing for the Wii and the DS. Nothing more needs to be said than 'sales figures'

Silver Disk: Microsoft/Sony
Sony has had a very poor year with the PS3 in my opinion given the expectations but continues to make headway with the PSP especially since the slim was released, its a shame about the software sales but as Sony makes money on the hardware I imagine they will be fairly content. Microsoft on the other hand has had several huge bungles - the RRoD being the most notable - but have been shown to continually succeed in their aim of hurting Sony matching their sales one for one throughout the year and splitting the 'hardcore' market effectively in half. Sony's poor America numbers can largely be blamed on MS.

Bronze Disk: PC
No groundbreaking PC exclusives - the only notable PC releases this year are World in Crisis and of course The Orange Box and plausibly the port of Bioshock. I really hope PC has a better year in '08 as its the thing I spend most time gaming on.

I've never seen a thread as biased as this, the Golden Disc goes to Ninty, what a bunch of fanboys... We all know it should go to sony! (j/k)

OT: Great read, and what more is there to say than Nintendo did something amazing this year, that no one can deny. Great write up! :)

Very cool post, maybe we should put the Golden Disc to an official vote next year. ;)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Great post for a relatively new poster, well done.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Platinum award goes to PC as PC still killed all the consoles combined this year.

Gold goes to Nini for amazing sales.

Silver goes to Sony for their willingness to listen to fans, and cut the price, offer great games, offer original games on their network and offer a free network.

Bronze goes to Microsoft because of the RROD issues, disc scratching issues, the 4 billion dollar hole they have yet to fully drag themselves out of, the halo 3 lawsuit that made them replace over 2 million Halo 3 discs, and the 2 other lawsuits that are still pending.

Yeah , to bad that Crysis and UT3 floped ... hard . Actually UT3 sold nearly twice as much in its first week on the PS3 , than the PC version did in 3 weeks ... so yeah , PC gaming rules them all :P  Hardware saleswhere bater of course , but as we learned from all PSP bashers , that doesnt counts at all :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ArtofAngels said:
Great post for a relatively new poster, well done.

I've been posting for eight and a half months :-\

I think we should have a Golden Disc award, and it should be like an MVP type thing. Like in baseball, where it's not always the person with the most home runs, but who has the best all around game. Yay for coining new awards.

Currently playing: Civ 6

Have to give the Golden Disc to the Xbox 360. After all Gaming is about games and 2007 may have been the single best year for any one console.

Watching X-Play last night and paying attention to media (TV, News, Video Game publication) and it nearly all the AAA titles that came out in 2007 that were thought about for GOTY were on the Xbox 360 and many of them exclusive and even the non exclusive were superior on the 360.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

Good read, and I agree on giving the golden disc to Ninty even if just for sales on my account!

Forecast

X360= $179.99
wii=$249.99
PS3=$349.99

mM