By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anybody not like the nintendo wii

I don't see the point in having one if you're gonna play by yourself. I wouldn't mind having one too play with other people though.

Current generation favorite : PS3, but I have learned too appreciate my PS2, I started playing very good PS2 games instead of complaining about how I can't play the new games, and I have found myself to be very happy with what I have.

Obviously if I would own a Wii I would learn too appreciate.

Around the Network

This man doesn't

I don't see the point in having one if you're gonna play by yourself. I wouldn't mind having one too play with other people though.

Right. Its not like it has an excellent single player platformer, or an outstanding action/rpg title.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

^I'm going to let someone else list the 30 incredible single-p,ayer wii games & save my fingers.

The people I work with at GameStop pretty much all hate the Wii, because every five seconds someone asks if they have any in stock. Let me tell you right now, it gets old. Fast.

But I have a Wii and think it's the best thing to hit videogames since.....I dunno.....Pong, and about as revolutionary (I hope).

"And God said unto John, come forth, and ye shall receive eternal life. But John came fifth, and he got a toaster."

Here's my recent experience with the Wii:

I went to my parents place on Christmas day to see my family/extended family (my mom wanted me to stay overnight on Christmas Eve but the thought of having to be around little kids, and a lot of people, some of them obnoxious, wasn't that appealing, I'm a bachelor who likes my quiet apartment).  Anyways one of my nephews got a Wii for Christmas which wasn't set up and my sister asked me if I could set it up for the kids.  So I go downstairs to the rec room with it which has a 36" SD tv (the family room has a 42" HD tv but the room was busy unforunately - I wanted to see what it looked like on a HD tv).  Anyways I go downstairs, put the sensor bar on top of the tv, plug everything in, sync the wiimote and think I'm finished setting it up. 

Then I turn on the Wii and after it updates (it was nice that it picked up the wireless without me having to change any settings) I notice that the Wiimote seems to be "off", basically I have to point the Wiimote higher than I expected.  It was extremely annoying and I quickly realize it was because of the tv itself, basically the distance from the top of the picture tube to the top of the tv is higher than the average tv set.  I then decide I'll put the sensor bar on the bottom of the tv instead.  Unfortunately that's when I ran into the problem of the tv being flush with the edge of the entertainment center so there's no room for the sensor bar there.  I then have to crawl behind the tv, clean up a lot of cords, etc, and manage to eventually move the tv back about an inch, just barely enough for the censor. 

Anyways after that and changing the setting for the Wiimote to the bottom of the tv it was much better.  So I put in Wii Sports and two of my nephews start to play.  The first game I select it Wii bowling and they start to play it.  Both nephews are 6 years old and I expected them to immediately pick up how to play the game, I mean it's the Wii afterall it's suppose to be easy.  Well they both take awhile to figure the bowling out (one even cries which annoys the hell out of me).  So things finally start going well and then one of them sits down.  When his turn comes around he says the Wiimote won't work anymore.  I pick it up from him and quickly realize there's a sweet spot where it works well because of where the sensor bar is and that the couches (one on each side of the tv) are too far to the sides of the tv for the kids to be able to sit on them and play.  Anyways I tell them to just stand when they play the Wii because I'm not going to rearrange all the furniture, treadmill, etc, just for the system.

I try Wii Sports myself and get bored of the entire thing in about... umm... 10 minutes, maybe 12.  It's not like I don't like casual games, I mean I play Bejeweled 2 and Chain Factor (it's at http://chainfactor.com/index.php try it, it's addictive).  Anyways I found myself tiring of the games for the Wii in record time (unfortunately my sister didn't get my nephew Super Mario Galaxy).

I can't say I hate the Wii, just that I don't really care for it.  I'm also not as big a fan of the Wiimote that I thought I would be either.  Some of the buttons seemed awkward and I (like my nephews) am use to playing games at weird angles sometimes.  I mean sometimes I'll lay on the carpet with a pillow, look up and play game like that, other times on the couch, etc, but it looks like it would be more of a hassle with the Wii.  Also the vast majority of it's games just don't appeal to me.  How could I justify buying a system with only 2 or 3 games I might like when I already have 2 systems (PC and 360) with dozens of games I like and a backlog of games already?  The Wii gets a 2 out of 5 from me.  Maybe the Wii 2 HD might finally be the system for me (anything can happen)...

Around the Network

its fun but its not quite what its cracked up to be, it truely is casual console at its finest

I really do love my wii, however i still prefer 360 to wii because of game selection and live. Wii is great for friends though

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I guess unless you get component cables for your Wii, it wont look that great on an HDTV (I think it looked better on a small 20ish inch SDTV compared to our 60 inch 1080p HDTV (and that's in 4:3 display mode on the TV too). Similar to what bothered you was with the Wiimote and it being kind of finicky when you get farther away from the sensor. Not much of a problem when you think about it, but when the nearest seat is far enough away for the cursor to go crazy, it's rather annoying.

Hopefully the people I know who have Wii's get some more games. Wii Sports got boring after a couple of weeks and Mario Strikers Charged is either a love or hate thing depending on how nice the AI decides to be to you.

i really don't understand how you cannot like the wii unless you decide beforehand that you aren't gonna like it, which people definitely do. my roommate clearly did this and thought it was terrible until i just got mario strikers. every person i've ever seen besides my roommate (who only plays rpgs, mario kart, and now mario strikers) has fallen in love with the wii after playing wii sports. after playing my wii two family members and one friend bought it cuz of how good wii sports is. really the only way you aren't gonna like such a ridiuculously purely fun game is if you go into thinking you aren't gonna like it and motion controls are dumb. and thats not to mention all the other good games like zelda, mario galaxy, re4, re:uc, zack and wiki, mario strikers, geometry wars, metroid prime 3, fire emblem, guitar hero, battalian wars, mario and sonic, trauma center, etc. And then there's the casual games that i don't like but a lot of people like such as warioware, mario party, rayman raving rabbids and others. i just think its sad when people don't let themselves have fun for god only knows what reasons.

in fact all 3 consoles are pretty good. i don't know how you can not like any of them. wii is a ton of fun but is definitely not perfect (crappy online setup, small hard drive, needs more big budget, high quality hardcore games). granted the ps3 is obviously the worst of the 3 with the worst lineup, the highest price, zero creativity in the controller since its the same one they've had for 3 generations, etc. but still its got a few good games. not enough to justify the price so it's not a good system to actually buy right now but looking past the price its still decent and will only get better. while 360 after this fall finally has a good lineup although it doesn't have much diversity among the genres, at least not for good games.

wii rules!

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

System definitely doesn't appeal to me and I'm tired with all this hype. After a year on the market I can find three games I would probably enjoy... (I wonder if Metroid would keep me interested after CoD4 and UT3)  two of these games are GC remakes. Not enough to get excited.

Also I prefer classic controlers. 

The Wii honestly doesn't suit the type of gamer I am for a variety of reasons.

First of all, I've always been more into single player story-driven games. I love my RPGs and my adventure/action games. Give me a game with an intelligent story and I'll be able to overlook a few of the design flaws a game might have. However, this isn't really the Wii's strong point. As much as I would love to spend some time with Zelda and Metroid, the Wii is a bit weak when it comes to intelligent story driven games.

Second of all, I almost never play games with my friends. I really cannot recall too many occasions when I've had friends over to play games, we typically do other things when we catch up. Gaming parties just isn't something that my group of friends does. The Wii tends to be a very social console, but I wouldn't use a console that way so that aspect of the system wouldn't work for me. A reasonable percentage of the games are "party" games, so there's a reasonable percentage of the Wii's library that I simply would get no value from.

A third ties partly into the second reason. I tend to purchase a lot of games and therefore the console I buy needs to have a strong library of games. I find that the lack of quality third party support to be a turnoff to buying the system because once I go beyond the few brilliant Nintendo titles (Really would love to spend time with SMG, TP and MP3) there isn't a whole lot there to warrant the purchase, particularly given the preferences that I outlined in reasons one and two.

The final reason is that I simply don't feel that I get a lot more value from motion controls. I enjoyed several of the games in Wii Sports (particularly bowling and boxing) but I never felt that it really gave me a better overall gaming experience. I recall being disappointed by having to perform several motions in Sonic that just felt rather silly and made the game feel more annoying than it could or should have been. I think that motion controls have some value, but I don't really enjoy performing actions that feel unnatural or don't really don't add any additional value from pressing a simple button. Perhaps the issue is simply that I'm fighting seventeen years of muscle memory from playing games since I was six, I'm not sure. I'll admit that I'm not sure how I'll go next generation given that it's almost certain that all consoles will have motion controls.

I think that basically sums up the reason why I am not a supporter of the Wii. Its really not a Nintendo thing, because as my profile shows I've owned and played a lot of Nintendo games and loved quite a few of them. For me, its almost entirely because the library of games simply doesn't satisfy my gaming tastes as well as other consoles do, which I think is the best reason to not like a console :)

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall