By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VIta: $249 for Wi-fi, $299 for 3G - Global 2011 Release

SaviorX said:

LBP? Look at what happened to it on the PSP the first time.

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Platform
0.47 0.01 1.14 1.63

It was not even part of the Top 20 Best-selling PSP games this generation. On the Playstation 3, LBP1 sold about 4.5 million with LOTS of bundling and promotion, while LBP2 has been out around 4 months and managed 1.3m. It will struggle to reach 2.5 million especially without bundling. I would not bank on this series being what sells the Vita.

Did you ever play LBP on the PSP? It was terrible, like a cheap console port. And anyway, 1.6M on the PSP (And whatever it did DD) is excellent these days

I think as a launch title, it's quite strong. The series has done almost 8 Million, so as a franchise it's very well established. Obviously there will be others to go along with it, but it can be a good title for all audiences and shows the NGP's many control aspects. We might even see Gran Turismo ready for launch (As doubtable as it is).

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
who else finds it ironic that this time last year a vocal minority was going on about how 'the PSP2 will be stillborn/dead on arrival', but now another vocal minority is implying the 3DS in d0med?

Knee jerk response to what is indisputably a lull/dead space in compelling 3DS software releases.

Since Nintendo shipped the 3DS without many of the basic functions and services (browser, DS/3DS shop, video player, etc.), the 3DS is in effect a $249 DS that also plays a very limited catalog of 3DS games. 

Until Nintendo starts shipping some of what should be given sellers, it's pretty short-sighted to imply it's already dead, but people will say what they're going to say. 

Rainbird said:
NightDragon83 said:
greenmedic88 said:
NightDragon83 said:
Totally did not expect it to come in at $250... i expected a $299 base model / non 3G, and $349-$399 for a fully loaded 3G model.

3DS price drop to $199 by the fall CONFIRMED lol.

This should be a given, otherwise the heads at Nintendo have lost their minds if they think they can sell the 3DS on the merits of glassless 3D and the Nintendo brand name alone at the same price as the Vita.

Barring games, the capabilities aren't even on par with one another, and that's without even taking the discrepancies between hardware specs into consideration. 

Pretty much sums it up... and did I hear wrong during the conference, or did they announce that the Vita through the use of its cameras will be capable of the same "augmented reality" features that the 3DS can do? (minus the glasses-free 3D of course).

The AR on the Vita is better than what the 3DS can do. The 3DS requires AR cards to function, but the Vita doesn't need any of that. 

You can see the effect really well here:

You don't actually need AR Cards to get 3DS AR type games to work. Those actually work off the exact same technique used by Eye of Judgement for the PSEye with the exception that AR Games works on image recognition whereas Eye of Judgement worked off character/symbol recognition printed on each card. Using pre-established symbols and images just makes it considerably easier for the image recognition code to do its function. 

I'm pretty sure the AR Cards were just some idea someone who was really fond of Pokemon card games insisted on implementing into AR Games. Cards are fun and all if you're into that, but having to pull cards out every time you want to play a video game on the other hand is not. 

It's all in the implementation basically. SCE has already showcased some interesting looking concept videos of AR applications; we'll see how the finished products actually turn out. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that they won't be little more than just portable Eye Toy/PSEye mini games. 

M.U.G.E.N said:
Icyedge said:
Hey guys, are we all gamers here? Sony are devoted to gaming, its quite obvious, hating them does no good to anyone. Even if you dont encourage them, they are still forcing your favorites video game companies to develop more software and to lower the price of their hardware.

Also, how the interactivity between the PS3 and Vita can be seen negatively baffles me. We already know Vita will be getting its own games, and to that, Sony already stated it was very easy to port PS3 title to it. Everyone gains from this, users, developers and Sony.

Great post! thumbs up

Thumbs up from me too!

i cant wait to get my hands on one.

cant believe the amount of trolling either, it's not in sony's power to announce the 3rd party games if they dont wish to reveal them yet. i guess some people are feeling the hitch after the price announcement.

Around the Network

You guys saying the vita needs a big system seller are making me lol.

greenmedic88 said:

You don't actually need AR Cards to get 3DS AR type games to work. Those actually work off the exact same technique used by Eye of Judgement for the PSEye with the exception that AR Games works on image recognition whereas Eye of Judgement worked off character/symbol recognition printed on each card. Using pre-established symbols and images just makes it considerably easier for the image recognition code to do its function. 

I'm pretty sure the AR Cards were just some idea someone who was really fond of Pokemon card games insisted on implementing into AR Games. Cards are fun and all if you're into that, but having to pull cards out every time you want to play a video game on the other hand is not. 

It's all in the implementation basically. SCE has already showcased some interesting looking concept videos of AR applications; we'll see how the finished products actually turn out. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that they won't be little more than just portable Eye Toy/PSEye mini games. 

Well, "required" might have been a strong word, but Sony are still the first to showcase AR technology that is stable enough to work without "cards" of some sort. I'd assume that if Nintendo were able to do something similar, they would, because carrying around these cards seems like a major hurdle in making AR games equally as portable as other games on the platform.

Either way, the tech Sony shows here, is way ahead of anything I have seen Nintendo do.

Vetteman94 said:
ramses01 said:
Great price. Does anyone have the specs? Is it still gimped like the most recent rumors suggested?

Gimped from what?  The original rumors?

Primarily the ram.  It should have at least 1 GB but latest rumor was 256.  256 is more tolerable with a 250 price point.  However, I would definitely prefer better specs and higher price point personally.

GAME now have the uk prices up
wifi = £229.00 or $379.00
3g = £279.00 or $458.00
http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=vita&x=0&y=0

Pretty shitty prices consideing a straight conversion of the US price would of been £150. Not sure Sony can justify charging Europeans an aditional 50% to the US.

If those numbers are that upon release i expect it to bomb hard. Especially with the new Nintendo console around the corner. If that comes out with a good line-up at launch i can see many skipping Vita and just getting that. £279 for a handheld is an awful price. Could almost afford a PS3 and a 3ds for that...

Im certain we'll see a $50 price cut on 3DS prior to Vita launch to be competitve for the holiday season. Which of course, is a good thing. Competition keeping price modest, kind of reminds us of the drop in price for PS3 over the years. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com