By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VIta: $249 for Wi-fi, $299 for 3G - Global 2011 Release

Any word on the white PSV?

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
Hyruken said:
GAME now have the uk prices up
wifi = £229.00 or $379.00
3g = £279.00 or $458.00
http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=vita&x=0&y=0

Pretty shitty prices consideing a straight conversion of the US price would of been £150. Not sure Sony can justify charging Europeans an aditional 50% to the US.

If those numbers are that upon release i expect it to bomb hard. Especially with the new Nintendo console around the corner. If that comes out with a good line-up at launch i can see many skipping Vita and just getting that. £279 for a handheld is an awful price. Could almost afford a PS3 and a 3ds for that...

Americans taxes aren't on the displayed price of products, take the extra 20% off the UK price for a wifi model you get £192, which is $315, which is only $75 or £45 using direct currency conversion, its not anywhere near as bad as the PS3 launch

But sadly here in the UK we can't take that 20% off. We sell everything with the tax included. Every item has it in the price. So yes in a world where we don't pay taxes £192 sounds better. But here in the UK we do pay taxes, very high ones and thus we have to pay the £229 if we want it.

So it is a good price for the states. Shit price for the UK.

If it makes you happier in Poland we have 23% tax and perspective to jump to 24 next year and 25% in two years time due to our goverment complete incompetence and lack of will to do any savings due to elections incoming.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

so eh, is this thing regional locked or not? I really don't want to pay $300 something for it while I can get an import for much less.

Zlejedi said:
Hyruken said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
Hyruken said:
GAME now have the uk prices up
wifi = £229.00 or $379.00
3g = £279.00 or $458.00
http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=vita&x=0&y=0

Pretty shitty prices consideing a straight conversion of the US price would of been £150. Not sure Sony can justify charging Europeans an aditional 50% to the US.

If those numbers are that upon release i expect it to bomb hard. Especially with the new Nintendo console around the corner. If that comes out with a good line-up at launch i can see many skipping Vita and just getting that. £279 for a handheld is an awful price. Could almost afford a PS3 and a 3ds for that...

Americans taxes aren't on the displayed price of products, take the extra 20% off the UK price for a wifi model you get £192, which is $315, which is only $75 or £45 using direct currency conversion, its not anywhere near as bad as the PS3 launch

But sadly here in the UK we can't take that 20% off. We sell everything with the tax included. Every item has it in the price. So yes in a world where we don't pay taxes £192 sounds better. But here in the UK we do pay taxes, very high ones and thus we have to pay the £229 if we want it.

So it is a good price for the states. Shit price for the UK.

If it makes you happier in Poland we have 23% tax and perspective to jump to 24 next year and 25% in two years time due to our goverment complete incompetence and lack of will to do any savings due to elections incoming.

In Brazil, Taxes are almost 100%. And we have thief retailers too. In the PS3 Launch, the console cost between $3000 and $4000.(by today exchange rate is $4500 ~ $6000).

What is funny is that they don't give a price based on the cost for them, but for the "perception of value" of the product.

That means that Vita will probably have a price much higher than 3DS here, even if the cost to import is the same, because of more value agreggated.

But yeah...I am talking about a country that sells a Corolla for $45M.

Ps.: There in UK you pay high taxes but you at least have free school and MediCare. In my case, I never entered in a public school or hospital in my life.

Galaki said:
Is Sony making money from hardware this time for Vita?

Probably not.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
tarheel91 said:
greenmedic88 said:
cyberninja45 said:
I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year.
Sony is no Nintendo, they cant survive on their IPs alone.
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble.

It's just you and probably the same familiar faces that would just as soon like to see SCE exit the gaming business.

SCE has always been heavily invested in 2nd party studios working on current and new SCE owned IPs for their platforms, and 3rd party support has literally never been in question. 

Support for the Vita looks to be as strong if not stronger than that of the 3DS, not that this is even where the future of handheld gaming is heading. Nobody's mentioned Android support for Playstation games, but that along with about a million other clues is indicative of where the industry is really heading. 

See Sony leave?  Seriously?  I would be very upset were that to happen.  Where would I get my Gran Turismo fix, then?

I have nothing against Sony, and I think the Vita is a cool concept.  I just get annoyed by the way the whole price estimates are thrown around like law when they're really just sloppy guesses with massive margins of error in both directions.

Edit: Fantastic ad hominem there, by the way.  Attack my credentials instead of responding to my issues with the way these estimates are done.

You're questioning the industry standard by which BOM estimates are made. Take that as a personal slight if you want. 

Nice strawman.

I'm not questioning BoM, nor am I hating on Sony (which was that ad hominem).  I'm questioning using BoM as an precise predictor of profitability.  There are far too many variables outside the BoM for this to be accurate in a case where the difference is <$50. 

Why were you even responding to a comment directed at someone other than yourself?

"cyberninja45 said:

I am only one worried that psvita still as virtually no third party support. well except street fighter X tekken. And the thing is comin out this freakin year. 
Sony is no Nintendo, they cant survive on their IPs alone. 
Even that street fighter X tekken port got me worried for the future of that thing, The device is cool an all but if its just gets the same games ps3 has from 3rd parties that thing is in hella trouble."

As for your "strawman" comment, it's not even up to me to convince you or anyone else of the validity of BOM estimates as a marker for per unit profit/losses. It's already commonly accepted.

If that's the crux of your argument, seriously; keep it. I'd tell you to try suggesting a better way to estimate unit costs, but it's highly unlikely you won't because frankly, there isn't any. 

Because I am a retard.  That's why.  Apologies.

I meant to respond to your response to me.  I blame how VGChartz switches the traditional location of the quote button (above vs. below).  My bad.

irstupid said:
steverhcp02 said:
irstupid said:
steverhcp02 said:
wfz said:
Huh weird, I expected to come in here and hear everyone complaining about the lame appearance the Vita made. My friend and I just both watched the conference and not a single game nor feature interested us. We were both actually sad to see how hollow Uncharted looked. You can't outsource a Naughty Dog game like that...

Also, why does it feel like the Vita and the PS3 are getting a lot of the same games? I want my portable system to be unique... Because if it means getting the same game, I'd rather play it in greater glory/detail/resolution/comfort on the home console.

That's my friend's and my take on the Vita. Why are you guys excited? I want to hear where your point of view is coming from.

Playing games seamlessly on the go and on my PS3. The intuitive reloading tough screen of uncharted. The melee intuitive of uncharted. The ease of track building for modnation and LBP, just looking at teh LBP levels with touch screen is worth $249 IMO.

I respect if its not for you but to not understand why 95% of people are really excited about a $249 price tag with the product coming this year and what we saw, i have to question your intent, if im being frank.

do you have to buy the game twice then?  one for PS3 and one fro PSV?  or just buy the ps3 game.

if the later, how is psv going to make any money on software if most are just playing those games?  cause the games shown, it seemed like most were essentially ps3 ports.

I dont think you understand the definition fo "port" compared to "franchise"

And as for buying the game twice, i dont see why youd have to if i can play Portal on my PS3 and on Steam for one price.

a port is the same game that was released on ps3 being brought to the ngp later

so what your saying is I buy lets say Portal for the ps3.  Then i can play it on my vita as a full game?   how the hell is sony expecting to make any money that way.  I would never buy any new games, i woudl just play my ps3 games on my vita.  

I have no idea what youre talking about. There are no "ports" to the Vita. There are games like Uncharted, SSD, BlazBlu, Silent Hill etc getting added games to a series. There are no ports. You said essentially most were essentially ports. I corrected you because its not "essentially ports" Either its teh same game on a different console or its not. And they arent, theyre new games in existing franchises.

Secondly, You alluded to having to buy a game that allows Transfarring saves twice. One for the PS3 and PSVita. I pointed out that this will most likely not be the case since Valve allowed a single purchase to be played and cloud saved via your PS3 and PC. Thus, if valve isnt making gamers buy their game twice to play on Steam and PSN, why would Sony do this for PS3/Vita transfarring?

Ok. Here's how it will work.

Some games you will buy once. You can then play that game on the PS3 and on the PSV.

Alternatively some games will have only special mode on the PSV, not the full game.

Some games you will buy twice. You play the full game on the PS3 and then you play the second on the PSV. Each game has connectivity to the other. They may share gameplay, but they would be two different games with hopefully two different experiences since one would be for a console and the other for mobile.

Of course then there are all the PSN games already out there that can be played on all devices already. Expect more of those as well.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.