By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wii won't burn off the fat.

Parents are fooling themselves if they hope Nintendo's Wii active games console, which uses a wireless handheld controller to replicate athletic movement, will stop their youngster becoming obese, a study says. Researchers in sport science at Liverpool John Moores University in northwestern England recruited six boys and five girls aged 13-15 years and fitted them with a monitoring device to calculate energy expenditure.

The teens played four games for 15 minutes.

One of the four games was Project Gotham Racing 3, played on the sedentary XBOX 350, made by Microsoft.

The three other games were sports bowling, tennis and boxing, played on Wii Sports, with a five-minute rest between sports.

In all, the children played on the consoles for one hour.

Energy expenditure using Wii was "significantly greater" -- 51 percent more -- than on the XBOX, the scientists found.

But this figure alone is misleading, as the total number of extra energy units burned using Wii amounted to only 60 calories per hour, or about a quarter of a Mars bar.

"In a typical week of computer play for these participants, active gaming rather than passive gaming would increase total energy expenditure by less than two percent," says the study.

Even though the amount is "trivial," it might still make a contribution to weight management, the study admits.

And it says, a game that prompts a teenager to practise basic motor control and fundamental movement skills is a plus.

"Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged," it says.

Even so, nothing is a substitute for getting out of the home and doing sport itself.

"The energy used when playing Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children," say the authors.

The study is released on Friday by the weekly British Medical Journal, which carries it in its Saturday edition.

http://www.physorg.com/news117433807.html

Around the Network

Really? Playing videogames doesn't make you fitter?

ALERT THE PRESS!!!

Played_Out said:
Really? Playing videogames doesn't make you fitter?

ALERT THE PRESS!!!

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=12380

- if this was worth posting and the debate I think this topic is good enough too. If not better

Why did they need to stop between sports? Were they to tired from their workout on the Wii?

i figured this out! that doesn't matter! most of the wii games that are selling a lot lately doesn't involve fitting games. (except for the beast that is MARIO AND SONIC!!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

I better not buy a Wii now! Oh wait, I already own one! Curses! I'm doomed!

*Jumps out of a window and explodes half way down*

The Wii is not a treadmill, eliptical or arc trainer and it is silly to expect it to burn a similar number of calories as those machines ...

With that said, if your caloric intake is constant and is at a level which maintains your body weight 2 hours of playing the Wii at 60 calories an hour every day would mean you would lose 1 pound of fat every month. Something like Wii Fit, which still (probably) isn't all that challenging, could burn up to 180 to 300 calories per hour could end up helping people lose 1 pound of fat every 2 weeks off of 1 hour of playtime.

Onimusha12 said:

I'm glad you've compromised one  of your accounts... unfortunately this one has much more annoying avatar and sig... hmm, actually it suits you my clown friend.

Onimusha12 said:

How in the devil did you post this if you are in pieces? Sweetness. I thought you were watching FOX NEWS.

Actually, you can  lose weight with the Wii and WiiSports by just being active. If you play it 30 minutes to an hour daily, you are more active than if you don't do anything and it's a start.

I actually was doing a blog on it until I fell off the wagon. 

Nintendo never claimed it would, of course it is nothing like playing the real sports or doing proper excercise, In Wii tennis you don't run around and the remote is not as much effort as a racquet [sp?]... Only idiotic press claimed the Wii was a substitute for the gym or proper excercise.

If though you merely replace your old videogaming time (fingers and thunbs) with the Wii sports way you will of course be using more energy and losing more weight/getting fitter... this is obvious because you move more (assuming you don't play Wii tennis like i do:- sat on my bed).

I am glad you posted this kber because I have been seeing the various articles from Google News about it, and wanted to comment on how stupid journalists are but I usually have to sign up to comment on those sites.