By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wii won't burn off the fat.

I was going to make a post stating that the idea that 15 minutes playing a video game is in any way an accurate determination of its usefulness in weight loss is the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

... but then i read all the responses to it.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

kber, what did you expect? If a user with your track record posts such an article, it is clear to most of the posters that you aren't doing this out of pure interest...

Anyways, the result of the study is encouraging imo, just as happysquirrel said.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Another thing to consider is that if you truely wanted to get more of a workout from Wii Sports (and in the future Wii Fit) you can always modify how you play the games ...

A woman I know, who is a personal trainer, told me that the way she got her generally unmotivated sister to lose weight was to get her to do excercises durring comercial breaks and to replace her candy 'addiction' with grapes, strawberries or other fruits. Not a particularly big change, but over a year her sister lost over 40lbs.

If you were motivated to lose weight by using the Wii you 'could' get (somewhat) light wrist and ankle weights and an aerobic step and incorporate more movement into your games; with Wii Sports tennis you could step up into the swing, and in something like Wii Fit you could place the balance board onto the step.

Small consistent changes are what really makes for long term weight loss.

hahaha, a study on the effects of Wii! i like this.

of course it's not gonna trim fat. people who claim that it does (in the press) are dedicated individuals--just like eating Subway alone won't lose you 200 pounds, you need a whole program to go along with it.

thankfully, playing the wii is still better than nothing.

the Wii is an epidemic.

kber81 said:
mesoteto said:

--yeah that sound real mellow and relaxed

P.S.--also makes you sound like you think you are better then us all, hey i could buy all that crap b/c every thing my ps# touchs turns to gold

Point is it really gets my adrenaline going when people claims I'm angry when I'm not. Do you hear me I'm not ! I'm damn fucking RELAXED ! !  !

P.S. I have no idea if I'm better than you or not.  I know I can buy this GC 1.5 anytime I want so quit this crap about being bitter please.

I think the reason people are calling you bitter because your console of choice is getting very much outsold by the machine in which u think is crap. And you really do sound bitter, with your GC 1.5 jabs and calling it crap. It seems it helps you feel better, just my opinion though. By the way you are talking you sound very thretened.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

Old news. This may be a new article, but there was another months ago that said basically the same thing, and both are acting like Nintendo has made the claim that the Wii is an exercise machine (WiiFit is another matter).

And honestly, what f*cked up parent is thinking the Wii is exercise?

@ nintendo_fanboy and @ CrashMan

Sure. Most people know I support HD systems and I prefer PS3 over X360... That's the reason why I've posted just an article without a comment. The best thing is bunch of guys started cheap shots instead talking about this study. I'm sick to death with crappy threads a'la "Wii cures cancer" or "How to burn 30 kg of fat with Wii sports" so this research was supposed to be a cold shower for some blind worshippers. 

@ BornFirst.

Most games I'm interested in go PS3/X360. Few is on X360 exclusively. I seriously don't care about Wii, it has nothing to offer to me. PS3 already secured 3rd party support and things can only get better. Success of CoD4, AC or NFS shows it's cost-effective to develop for PS3. End of the story. Wii isn't a threat. Not at all. 

Lets see Wii fit get tested first

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Faulty study, IMO.

How the study *should* have gone is like this:

Three groups.
One with the XBox350 (used 360, w/o all the components I guess, research on the cheap)
One with the Wii (probably bought on ebay, using up the $ errr... pounds/Euros thus having to buy the XBox350)
One group with nothing to do.

The layout. All 3 groups with sofas and tables with wrapped Mars bars in a bowl.
No breaks for an hour.

The probable results.

The group with nothing to do ate up all the Mars bars, including some of the ones from the other groups test. Calorie gain from the average 4 bars ate: 960.

The XBox350 group ate on the average .2 bars, that is, two Mars bars including wrappers, as two boys were so engrossed in playing that they didn't notices the bars were still wrapped.
Calorie gain from the average .2 bars ate: 48.

The Wii group ate on the average .2 bars as well, but unwrapped. Calorie gain from the average .2 bars ate: 0. *

* In order to get the candy bars, they punched out 2 from the nothing group, that were stealing and unwrapping the Mars bars, then ate them. The candy bars, that is. Calorie lost from the fight to get the candy bars is estimated to equal the calories intake of the candy bars.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

kber81 said:
trestres said:

On topic: I didnt know that there could be someone as jealous and angry as fanber81, man relax.

Seriously, I have a good laugh too... People really gets angry here... I've found this news by accident today and it recalled me about our Nintendoownsmii fatty... I've started this thread. I don't give a shit about your precious Wii dude. I can buy one or two anytime I want. There are piles of this crap in every market here.

Jealous? about what? Cruis'n? Soul Calibur legends? Mario and Sonic maybe? Give me a break boy...

Don't call other forum members fatty kber.