By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wii won't burn off the fat.

koopatrooper said:
well i think playing wii made me stronger but not fitter i must admit but who cares i play for fun not for exercise

Nintendo should have created a WiiMote variation that's heavier than original one.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network

Well if you played wii sports 8 hours a week you would burn a bit over 7 pounds a year in body fat (more than the 360 I guess according to the article)

Of course that is all irrelevant as they only looked at one game. There are certainly more active and certainly less active games on the Wii than Wii Sports, and some sort of mean and median values should have been obtained from a cross section of games to obtain a fair evaluation.

It would be interesting to see the study done with wii fit, and see really how appropriate the name is.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
tiachopvutru said:
koopatrooper said:
well i think playing wii made me stronger but not fitter i must admit but who cares i play for fun not for exercise

Nintendo should have created a WiiMote variation that's heavier than original one.

Or have some sort of weight attachment for them for wii fit.  But I wouldn't be supprised to see a step aerobic game come out that includes something like that.  I think 20-50 y/o women would eat that up.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Dont tell the Nintendo fanboys ,they already think they are smarter than you thanks to Brain Training .

I agree with Kber, the study itself is interesting simply because someone bothered to do it at all =). You can tell something is having an impact on society itself when they start doing studies.

However, I don't think the study is all that useful datawise. For one thing, I'm pretty sure I've read that most fitness experts say you need to extend any aerobic session to at least 30 minutes or longer for it to have a measurable effect. Playing one of the wii sports for 15 minutes and then taking a 5 minute break means you're body goes back to idle status and you never breach that barrier.

Second, Bowling isn't something I'd use to test energy usage as you aren't really moving all that much. Boxing is obviously the highest energy game in wii fit, but the rest really aren't that taxing.

Lastly, the study provides absolutely no information regarding how the kids played the games. 60 calories on average per hour for playing one of the wii sports...but were the kids just standing using the minimum amount of movement required, or were they up and attempting to play the sports like you would in real life? I can play all the wii sports while sitting on a coach, and obviously I wouldn't expect that to make me loose weight, but I could also get totally into them and move around and pretend I'm actually playing them.

Basically, if you wnat to lose weight playing on the Wii, you have to consciously approach it with aerobic activity in mind.

Around the Network

I don't understand, Kber only posted an article he never even said anything about it... why attack him?

@linkzmax... yeah boxing is damn tiring... tennis can be easy but if you want to you can make it a bit of a workout.... bowling isn't particularly an energy user, though i suppose it might use a wider muscle variety than tennis.

I think if you seriously boxed (no half assed controller flicks, real punches) on Wii Sports a half an hour a day you would get some cardio results as well.

Anyone can lose weight playing video games, (on a Wii, GC, 360, Xbox, PSx, PS2) just try playing an hour of DDR daily on advanced.

Of course, the PS360 fanboys will bring this topic up again when Wii Fit is released. And use it as evidence that WiiFit is bunk and won't work. But I think the enclosed balance board/controller/scale might prove otherwise. I've been seeing this data all over the place this week (do a google news search for Wii and see how many newspapers are all over this story).

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Well this won't reach out to the masses, the masses will still think you will get more fit

tiachopvutru I love your avatar it's sweet

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

GameSHOUT
Don't Fool Yourself, Playing Wii Tennis Won't Keep You Fit
PC World - 19 hours ago
Think working up a sweat playing Nintendo Wii Tennis is a substitute for exercise, think again. Wii jocks will have to hit the treadmill like everyone else ...
Sports games showing signs of life on the Wii Pasta Padre
Twelve months of more, more, more Globe and Mail
Wii is not a fat burner NEWS.com.au
TECH.BLORGE.com - AHN
all 35 news articles »
University Study Released on Wii's Fitness Properties
DVDfeed, Australia - 12 hours ago
The first academic study into the Nintendo Wii's image as the fitness-conscious gaming console has yielded positive results, though perhaps not quite as ...
Wii Fit? Wii don’t think so iTWire
all 2 news articles »
Wii doesn't offer enough exercise
Fragland.net, Belgium - 18 hours ago
Britse scientists examined whether Wii Sports really has any effect on the body and came to the conclusion that the results are trivial. ...
Sorry, gamers: Wii workout poor exercise
Chicago Sun-Times, United States - Dec 26, 2007
So you just gave the kids a Wii game system and figure they -- and you -- might get a little exercise, as well as enjoyment, out of it? ...

Game Guru
Wii Cannot Replace Regular Exercising, says Study
TechShout!, India - Dec 27, 2007
Nintendo’s Wii is the most popular console in 2007. Children love to play imitative games on Wii and parents do not mind as they think the console provides ...
Xbox 360 to be Equipped with Motion Sensing Controller, Say Rumors TechGadgets.in
Xbox 360 Getting Motion Sensing Controller? Game Guru
all 3 news articles »

Bandit Labs
Experts Say: Wii Fit Will Not Make You Fit. DUH!
Bandit Labs, TX - Dec 27, 2007
They sat down 15 kids and strapped them up in some fancy monitoring gear and made them play Wii sports. Then they had them play the Xbox360. The result? ...

Nintendo Wii No Substitute For Real Exercise
WJBF-TV, GA - Dec 26, 2007
The Nintendo Wii was one of the hottest items this holiday...and if one was found under your tree, don't think it's a good alternative to regular exercise. ...

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

I don't give a shit about your precious Wii dude. I can buy one or two anytime I want. There are piles of this crap in every market here.

--yeah that sound real mellow and relaxed

P.S.--also makes you sound like you think you are better then us all, hey i could buy all that crap b/c every thing my ps# touchs turns to gold