By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter already seen Microsoft E3 show and says it will be great

That's your opinion, he is just using one hand. You have your whole body with kinect, plus this is homebrew not a developer.

Around the Network

Also watch the whole thing, he has nothing in his other hand. Forward and back uses depth of his hand.

Omac said:

Also watch the whole thing, he has nothing in his other hand. Forward and back uses depth of his hand.

My mistake, when he was sitting down he had his fingers spread out, thought he was using a keyboard.

Anyway, if the controls were like that it would be considered a joke in a retail game. It just isn't going to work, do you know that rub you stomach in circles while patting your head trick, that is what playing a harcore Kinect game will be like, people wouldn't see the point of going through all that hassle when they have a controller.

It would be interesting and funny if it was an Indie game, but a full on retail game like that would be an impossibility.

Seriously... some people.  So closed minded.... posting up a cherry picked glitchy homebrew example. I could post 5 much more functional ones if I truly wanted, not to mention you are completely ignoring the future updates that will allow for finer detail movement tracking and the hybrid controls using both controller and Kinect (in my mind the best experience possible for motion would be like a wireless nunchuck device Kinect).

I am not justifying my purchase, and if you paid attention to the news, most early adopters of Kinect ARE the core, not casuals.

It's just sad to hear an old argument beat to death because people just can't seem to think outside of the box and believe their own opinions must be that of the majority. Just because you can't fathom it, doesn't mean no one can.

Astrid said:

This is one of several fake pachter twitter accounts.
Apparently, there are some people out there who like to pretend they are him.

He talked about this on gametrailers in his pack attack about Sony’s online problems.
Can't remember his real twitter account, but this is 100% false. 

He did?

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Seriously... some people.  So closed minded.... posting up a cherry picked glitchy homebrew example. I could post 5 much more functional ones if I truly wanted, not to mention you are completely ignoring the future updates that will allow for finer detail movement tracking and the hybrid controls using both controller and Kinect (in my mind the best experience possible for motion would be like a wireless nunchuck device Kinect).

I am not justifying my purchase, and if you paid attention to the news, most early adopters of Kinect ARE the core, not casuals.

It's just sad to hear an old argument beat to death because people just can't seem to think outside of the box and believe their own opinions must be that of the majority. Just because you can't fathom it, doesn't mean no one can.

That glitchy homebrew example is probably the best possible way to inplement Kinect controls into an FPS.

And there is next to no chance of developers using hybrid controls, a controller has to occupy both hands, not one.

You need to stop being so defensive and take these criticisms onboard, 17 buttons and 2 analogues cannot be replicated by body movements in a retail game. People don't want to wiggle their middle finger to jump, people would rather use a controller. I'm just hoping somebody backs me up here, Kinect controls will have to remain casual, the theme of a game might be hardcore but you will never see a full retail hardcore game work well with Kinect controls.

Maybe we need to do one of these "bets" that people often put in their sigs.

brendude13 said:
nightsurge said:

That glitchy homebrew example is probably the best possible way to inplement Kinect controls into an FPS.

And there is next to no chance of developers using hybrid controls, a controller has to occupy both hands, not one.

You need to stop being so defensive and take these criticisms onboard, 17 buttons and 2 analogues cannot be replicated by body movements in a retail game. People don't want to wiggle their middle finger to jump, people would rather use a controller. I'm just hoping somebody backs me up here, Kinect controls will have to remain casual, the theme of a game might be hardcore but you will never see a full retail hardcore game work well with Kinect controls.

I'm not being deffensive at all... in fact, you're the one that came in here with some sort of agenda besides the OP it seems. I was merely trying to enlighten you, but to no avail it seems.

Also, since when did anyone specify only FPS? And again, you are only thinking of gaming in a traditional controller based sense. You cannot seem to even begin to think outside of the norm. All things evolve, and with each evolution there are always those unwilling to accept it, but as history shows, those are the ones that are quickly forgotten.

nightsurge said:
brendude13 said:
nightsurge said:

I'm not being deffensive at all... in fact, you're the one that came in here with some sort of agenda besides the OP it seems. I was merely trying to enlighten you, but to no avail it seems.

Also, since when did anyone mention FPS? And again, you are only thinking of gaming in a traditional controller based sense. You cannot seem to even begin to think outside of the norm. All things evolve, and with each evolution there are always those unwilling to accept it, but as history shows, those are the ones that are quickly forgotten.

I was using FPS's as an example.

And I understand what you mean by Kinect controls will evolve so they work in hardcore games, but body tracking doesn't offer enough control. I am comparing it to controller based games because that is what is considered a hardcore game. If a hardcore game is going to use Kinect, the controls have to be extremely simplified, being able to walk is probably out of the question, it would have to be on rails.

I do see what you mean by evolving controls, but I just don't see how it will work, the controls will be so simplified that people might not consider it a hardcore game.

And I didn't have an "agenda", the guy I replied to seemed pretty confident that he was going to see a load of hardcore Kinect games at E3, I'm just telling him not to get his hopes up.

Let's wait until E3, see what the developers can think of.

So now I see that the definition of a core game is a game that must have the possibility that you hit the wrong button or push the wrong stick when you are trying to do something.

Lets all see what MS and Developers have come up with b4 we go that game cant be Core.  OK?

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

You where saying all core games have to be on rails and that's further from the truth.  For example the vid of one homebrew gamer controlling a FPS game with just one hand and having no problems with it standing or sitting down.  Also Rise of Nightmares has said it's free roaming but we still need more info on it.  Plus I don't think they wouldn't turn a game like Steel Battalion into a rail type of game after having that huge control with more buttons on it than any standard controler.