By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Witcher 2 on Xbox360?

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:

You're trying to debate opinion as if it's fact.  I prefer to use a controller, therefore there is no hamstringing.  No argument I can give will ever convince you since you obviously want more buttons and I couldn't care less.  The game plays great.  So how can my opinion be wrong?  You don't like it, I do.  End of discussion.

I'm not going to sit on my couch and game with a keyboard on my lap or try to make a makeshift table.  Controller works great.  Game is awesome.  I never feel like the controls are holding me back from doing anything.

My only issue is you say the design is shit the UI is shit etc etc.  Everything is shit with you.  I just think you're full of it.  The design is fine, your taste is just different.  The game i getting great reviews and so far most people prefer to play it with the controller.  You're the only person I've seen asking to have a key for every item in his inventory because you like to play in easy mode and pretend you're playing it on "hard".

No it is not an opinion. Let me walk you through it. Are there more keys on a keyboard than on a controller? Does that mean you just have LESS options with a controller, objectively?  Meanwhile what are the objective pros of a controller?

It objectively comes down to the fact that a controller gives you less options and less functionality and does not provide you with anything in return. That is a very basic definition of inferior right there.

P.S. Having a pause in game is extremely scrubbish in an action RPG, but I like your spin there.

Edit: The UI is also objectively shitty. If it take 3 clicks to get to any section of the UI, then there is something wrong with it (or it is designed for an inferior control mechanic, as is the case here). Or the inability to sort the inventory, seriously I had that shit back in the 90s. The UI in general is extremely, painfully consolified (meaning, shoehorned into a controller scheme, not a proper one). THe only thing that makes this a more of a PC game is the difficulty, some of the weak themes, and the ability to have a pretty different playthrough each time. There is almost no pampering for the scrubs.

Pretty much stopped reading right there.  Learn what opinion means.

I don't want to sit on a couch with keyboard on my lap.  Therefore, in my opinion, the keyboard is a much less desireable option, no matter that it's missing 4 freaking hotkeys.

You're also the same person who said this earlier in the thread:

"In fact one of the biggest problems I had with this game is the whole retarded UI where I can only have one sign primed and can't quick switch between them right in combat with keyboard shortcuts."

Of course when I pointed out to you that there are in fact hotkeys for every sign you completely ignored it instead if admitting you were wrong like a man.

So you are someone who does not have the capacity to understand objectivity? Good to know.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
naznatips said:
daroamer said:
pezus said:

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Saying a keyboard is superior to a controller because of "more buttons" is definitely an opinion and not a fact. That is all.

*tiphat*

Agreed. There are times when a keyboard is advantageous, and times when it is not, just like everything else. That said, I partially agree with Vlad that they could have stood to allow you to bind signs to more convenient hotkeys. Minor quibble, though.

I obviously gave off the wrong idea here. I was talking SOLELY about action RPGs (true for tactical too though). A control scheme is better worse given how much is gained/lost, and objectgively you lose a shitton of functionality (objectively measured) in RPGs when you go from a keyboard to a controller, and barely gain some comfort (ironically, a subjective measure). Objectively, keyboards are better at controlling RPGs and I laugh at anyone who can't get that through their heads.

I had a rant someplace in the PC Forum about what a piece of shit keyboards were for fighting games and platformers. Again objectively, you lose a lot of ability for accurate movements in both game types if you use a keyboard instead of a controller, and only gain more keys, which are not needed. Objectively, controllers are better at platformers and fighting games and I laugh at anyone who can't get that as well through their heads.

There are so many more examples. Race wheels are objectively better due to the finer control they give you for racing games. Arcade sticks are objectively better to the finer control you get over the game in fighting games. Mouse is objectively better than anlog sticks for shooters due to the fact transition times can be brought down to near 0. Sticks are objectively better than keys for anyting that requires precise movements in a 3d evironment. etc. etc. etc.

Each control scheme is better at some things, and worse at others, OBJECTIVELY. I am honest to god tired people who can't comprehend that and then try to defend their choices by laughably pushing off facts as opinions.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
naznatips said:
daroamer said:
pezus said:

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Saying a keyboard is superior to a controller because of "more buttons" is definitely an opinion and not a fact. That is all.

*tiphat*

Agreed. There are times when a keyboard is advantageous, and times when it is not, just like everything else. That said, I partially agree with Vlad that they could have stood to allow you to bind signs to more convenient hotkeys. Minor quibble, though.

I obviously gave off the wrong idea here. I was talking SOLELY about action RPGs (true for tactical too though). A control scheme is better worse given how much is gained/lost, and objectgively you lose a shitton of functionality (objectively measured) in RPGs when you go from a keyboard to a controller, and barely gain some comfort (ironically, a subjective measure). Objectively, keyboards are better at controlling RPGs and I laugh at anyone who can't get that through their heads.

I had a rant someplace in the PC Forum about what a piece of shit keyboards were for fighting games and platformers. Again objectively, you lose a lot of ability for accurate movements in both game types if you use a keyboard instead of a controller, and only gain more keys, which are not needed. Objectively, controllers are better at platformers and fighting games and I laugh at anyone who can't get that as well through their heads.

There are so many more examples. Race wheels are objectively better due to the finer control they give you for racing games. Arcade sticks are objectively better to the finer control you get over the game in fighting games. Mouse is objectively better than anlog sticks for shooters due to the fact transition times can be brought down to near 0. Sticks are objectively better than keys for anyting that requires precise movements in a 3d evironment. etc. etc. etc.

Each control scheme is better at some things, and worse at others, OBJECTIVELY. I am honest to god tired people who can't comprehend that and then try to defend their choices by laughably pushing off facts as opinions.

You use the word objectively so many times and still don't understand what it means.

If someone plays a fighting game better on a keyboard than he does on a controller then for him the keyboard is a better option.  It's completely subjective.  If someone prefers using a controller to a wheel in a racer then that is their choice.  If you can race better with the controller then it's the better control scheme.  It's completely subjective.

As for The Witcher 2, obviously the designers didn't design the combat so that bombs should be used a primary mode of fighting or they would have focused the controls more on that.  The fact that you want a key for each slot is a personal preference but obviously not one the deveopers intended.  You said yourself you can stampede any group of enemies by spamming bombs and using daggers which they can't block.  Very likely not what was intended and throws off the balance of the fighting.  Therefore it is a subjective opinion that you should have more keys so that using items in your inventory is easier.  That is not an objective desire, it's subjective.  You're arguing that the game would be better if you could do that, they developers felt otherwise, so it's your opinion vs theirs, and it doesn't mean "the game mechanics are shit" unless you add "in my opinion".

naznatips said:
daroamer said:
pezus said:

*tiphat*

I agree and if he had stated things as such I would have agreed with him.  It took issue with the fact that he's trying to claim the game is compromised because it appears to be balanced for being played with a controller.  That's a design choice and not a flaw with the basic mechanics of the game.

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

You use the word objectively so many times and still don't understand what it means.

If someone plays a fighting game better on a keyboard than he does on a controller then for him the keyboard is a better option.  It's completely subjective.  If someone prefers using a controller to a wheel in a racer then that is their choice.  If you can race better with the controller then it's the better control scheme.  It's completely subjective.

As for The Witcher 2, obviously the designers didn't design the combat so that bombs should be used a primary mode of fighting or they would have focused the controls more on that.  The fact that you want a key for each slot is a personal preference but obviously not one the deveopers intended.  You said yourself you can stampede any group of enemies by spamming bombs and using daggers which they can't block.  Very likely not what was intended and throws off the balance of the fighting.  Therefore it is a subjective opinion that you should have more keys so that using items in your inventory is easier.  That is not an objective desire, it's subjective.  You're arguing that the game would be better if you could do that, they developers felt otherwise, so it's your opinion vs theirs, and it doesn't mean "the game mechanics are shit" unless you add "in my opinion".

No, I don;t thin you are understanding at all, I am talking about something much deeper. Objectivity means that you can measure something, not that someone is better off using one control scheme or not. There are plenty of fools out there using controllers to play the PC versoiin of Left 4 Dead 2, and they are better at it than if they used a mouse. However objectively the mouse is better for FPSes than controller AND YOU CAN MEASURE WHY. That is true for everything else I just pointed out. There is something you can measure in every single example I gave that makes each control scheme superior to the others.

For example, the reason why a mouse is superior to dual analog stick for FPSes is simple. It comes down to the amount of time it takes for a person to look from 1 spot to another. With analogs it is set due to the analogs. With a mouse it approaches 0 the more skillful a player is.

In action RPGs, you get more keys, which gives you the ability to quickly use more "stuff" which means less pausing in the action (unless you are into that, then youa re playing the wrong genre). It also means the ability to have more "stuff" this leading to a deeper gameplay.It doesn't mean the game WILL have that, it just means that it CAN, which is not true if you had less buttons.

It really comes down to one thing, and that is how much restrictions exist due to a control device, and that can be measured. Because if there are restrictions then you have less options, and less options are always bad. More restrictions also means hamstrung gameplay, that is why if you had two twins who have played the exact same FPS the exact same way but one was on a PC the other on a console, the one using the PC will absolutely dominate the one on the console, becausethere are less restrictions on his controls.

There is a difference between difficulty due to shit controls and difficulty due to the game. The designers have made knives and ingredients abundand, therefore the use of both is very much intended. Now their controls are shit therefore it becomes annoying. If they didn't intend for either to be used, there would be many other ways to prvent it, especially onces that couldn't be circumvented with some annoyances. Also, Alchemy and Magic are entire fucking specializatoin trees so I am fairly sure they intended to be valid forms of play. Also daggers are a skill, which means they are also meant to be used the way they are. Which leads back to objectively shitty controls.

Around the Network

here is a quit retort

not very far in witcher so knowledge is limited on items

but lets say i want to throw a grenade that leaves a gas area

CONSOLE: i have to "slow mo" the game and then move my dual analog stick over to the grenade i want and select it.  then leave "slow mo" mode and then push said button and then re aim at enemies, since would have moved cursor around doing the whole slow mo selection

PC: I have the gas bombs set to button F2.  So when i want to use it, i am mos tlikely already AIMED on enemies i push f2 and the bomb is thrown.

Now lets say i want to throw a different bomb that is best used for a new enemy that shows up.  on console I have to do as I said above, on PC there is a good chance I have that bomb set as F2, F3, F4 or whatever. 

So tell me OBJECTIVELY which is better?  Pushing one button, or going into a menu, finding said item, selecting it then aiming and finally throwing bomb.

irstupid said:

here is a quit retort

CONSOLE: i have to "slow mo" the game and then move my dual analog stick over to the grenade i want and select it.  then leave "slow mo" mode and then push said button and then re aim at enemies, since would have moved cursor around doing the whole slow mo selection

PC: I have the gas bombs set to button F2.  So when i want to use it, i am mos tlikely already AIMED on enemies i push f2 and the bomb is thrown.

Now lets say i want to throw a different bomb that is best used for a new enemy that shows up.  on console I have to do as I said above, on PC there is a good chance I have that bomb set as F2, F3, F4 or whatever. 

So tell me OBJECTIVELY which is better?  Pushing one button, or going into a menu, finding said item, selecting it then aiming and finally throwing bomb.

That's a hint that the developers don't mean to have the bombs working like that. Duh.

vlad321 said:
irstupid said:

here is a quit retort

That's a hint that the developers don't mean to have the bombs working like that. Duh.

ha, what a pathetic responce

so the controls are flawless and any fault is by design

irstupid said:
vlad321 said:
irstupid said:

here is a quit retort

ha, what a pathetic responce

so the controls are flawless and any fault is by design

Obviously.

Also what you described ins't objectively, it's subjective. Maybe I WANT to have difficulty using a simple item. Gawd...

vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

No, I don;t thin you are understanding at all, I am talking about something much deeper. Objectivity means that you can measure something, not that someone is better off using one control scheme or not. There are plenty of fools out there using controllers to play the PC versoiin of Left 4 Dead 2, and they are better at it than if they used a mouse. However objectively the mouse is better for FPSes than controller AND YOU CAN MEASURE WHY. That is true for everything else I just pointed out. There is something you can measure in every single example I gave that makes each control scheme superior to the others.

For example, the reason why a mouse is superior to dual analog stick for FPSes is simple. It comes down to the amount of time it takes for a person to look from 1 spot to another. With analogs it is set due to the analogs. With a mouse it approaches 0 the more skillful a player is.

In action RPGs, you get more keys, which gives you the ability to quickly use more "stuff" which means less pausing in the action (unless you are into that, then youa re playing the wrong genre). It also means the ability to have more "stuff" this leading to a deeper gameplay.It doesn't mean the game WILL have that, it just means that it CAN, which is not true if you had less buttons.

It really comes down to one thing, and that is how much restrictions exist due to a control device, and that can be measured. Because if there are restrictions then you have less options, and less options are always bad. More restrictions also means hamstrung gameplay, that is why if you had two twins who have played the exact same FPS the exact same way but one was on a PC the other on a console, the one using the PC will absolutely dominate the one on the console, becausethere are less restrictions on his controls.

There is a difference between difficulty due to shit controls and difficulty due to the game. The designers have made knives and ingredients abundand, therefore the use of both is very much intended. Now their controls are shit therefore it becomes annoying. If they didn't intend for either to be used, there would be many other ways to prvent it, especially onces that couldn't be circumvented with some annoyances. Also, Alchemy and Magic are entire fucking specializatoin trees so I am fairly sure they intended to be valid forms of play. Also daggers are a skill, which means they are also meant to be used the way they are. Which leads back to objectively shitty controls.

Let me break it down for you:

A keyboard has more buttons than a controller - Objective observation

Because a keyboard has more buttons than a controller then Game Type A is better played with a keyboard - Subjective conclusion