By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Witcher 2 on Xbox360?

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

Did you at all read the post in this very thread about the shit mechanics they have to make to shoehorn the game on a controller and that they wouldn't exist if the game treated the keyboard as a keyboard not as some limited controller that doesn't have enough buttons?

Did you read the part where it plays awesome with a controller?  I don't see how the mechanics are shit if it plays beautifully.

It plays beautifully on a controller BECAUSE the mechanics are shit.....

No, it plays beautifully on a controller because that was what it was designed for.   You might have designed it differently, but it doesn't mean it's shit. 

I MUCH prefer playing on a controller to playing on a keyboard so I'm glad they designed it to work that way.  The game is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

No it definitely means it's shit if the fluidity of the gameplay (and ACTION RPG, not tactical opne like Dragon Age) has to be broken up due to a deficiency, which wouldn't have been had it been made properly for a keyboard.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

Did you at all read the post in this very thread about the shit mechanics they have to make to shoehorn the game on a controller and that they wouldn't exist if the game treated the keyboard as a keyboard not as some limited controller that doesn't have enough buttons?

Did you read the part where it plays awesome with a controller?  I don't see how the mechanics are shit if it plays beautifully.

No, it plays beautifully on a controller because that was what it was designed for.   You might have designed it differently, but it doesn't mean it's shit. 

I MUCH prefer playing on a controller to playing on a keyboard so I'm glad they designed it to work that way.  The game is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

No it definitely means it's shit if the fluidity of the gameplay has to be broken up due to a deficiency, which wouldn't have been had it been made properly for a keyboard.

Right, so every RPG that has ever had you pause to make tatical decisions is shit?  LOL 

I find the game play extremely fluid.  I also don't want a keyboard sitting on my lap while I play on the couch.  The mechanics are awesome.  In my opinion of course.  Obviously your opinion is different.

man the last few pages have been just STUPID arguing.  My quick 2 cents

1. the PC made mad profits for the witcher 2 already, and to even come close to it, the consoles would have to sell nearly 3x as many units

2. the graphics would take a big hit to be put on the consoles

3. porting it DOES cost money you know, it doesn't magically just get ported for free.  and we have seen companies have big trouble porting.  so they spend X amount of dollars porting it and need to sell 3x amount of units.  Not to mention, porting witcher 2 means taking away team members, money and time from the witcher 3.

4. the game plays great with a controller, we aren't arguing against that. but if programmed right it would play way better with a keyboard and mouse.  I'm waiting for a mod to come out that lets us use hotkeys how we want.

5. Difficulty.  sorry but the game is too hard for console gamers.  its a sad day when i have to say that

vlad321 said:
naznatips said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

You do realize this is an action RPG right? It's not Dragon Age, and it's meant to be played quickly and fluidly and without a ton of buttons. Playing well with a controller is not a guaranteed sign of crappy PC development.

That is exactly what I am saying too.It would have been fluid had 1-5, or F1-5, been assigned so that a sign/bomb/knife were used immidiately without even needing a "use pre-selected item/sign" key. You know isntead of having to effectively pause the game (like you had to do in the tactical Dragon Age to make effective order) to look for whatever sign you need. I wa pissed off at the system throroughly and I only ever specialized for 2 signs (quen and igni) signs, if I ran the game as a sign mastery I would probably be bitching about this shit design (obviously a concession for a controller) far more.

P.S. I've been poking around the config files and it may be possible to actually hack the keybinds to allow for this. It would make the game much better. It would actually be a fluid action RPG as you stated.

Why do you have to hack the config?  They keyboard commands for casting signs are already there - 5 casts Aard, 6 casts Yrden, 7 casts Igni and so on.

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

No it definitely means it's shit if the fluidity of the gameplay has to be broken up due to a deficiency, which wouldn't have been had it been made properly for a keyboard.

Right, so every RPG that has ever had you pause to make tatical decisions is shit?  LOL 

I find the game play extremely fluid.  I also don't want a keyboard sitting on my lap while I play on the couch.  The mechanics are awesome.  In my opinion of course.  Obviously your opinion is different.

Just the action ones where the action has to be stopped. Furthermore that is not an opionin, since you can objectively measure how much the game is broken up. Had I specialized in magic instead of swordsman I would probably be bitching a lot more about this game.

The tactical rpgs are a WHOLE different animal where the gameplay is more about your smarts and less about how fast you do things, so a pause isn't even close to being as detrimental. Though to be fair, I never pause in games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter nights, and Dragon Age either because I find it annoying as hell.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
naznatips said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

You do realize this is an action RPG right? It's not Dragon Age, and it's meant to be played quickly and fluidly and without a ton of buttons. Playing well with a controller is not a guaranteed sign of crappy PC development.

That is exactly what I am saying too.It would have been fluid had 1-5, or F1-5, been assigned so that a sign/bomb/knife were used immidiately without even needing a "use pre-selected item/sign" key. You know isntead of having to effectively pause the game (like you had to do in the tactical Dragon Age to make effective order) to look for whatever sign you need. I wa pissed off at the system throroughly and I only ever specialized for 2 signs (quen and igni) signs, if I ran the game as a sign mastery I would probably be bitching about this shit design (obviously a concession for a controller) far more.

P.S. I've been poking around the config files and it may be possible to actually hack the keybinds to allow for this. It would make the game much better. It would actually be a fluid action RPG as you stated.

Why do you have to hack the config?  They keyboard commands for casting signs are already there - 5 casts Aard, 6 casts Yrden, 7 casts Igni and so on.

Because I need the same exact to be true for all the different bombs/knives/traps I have in my pockets. I am hoping to press F1 to throw my stun grenade and F2 to be my super awesome knife and F3 to be my less awesome knife, etc.

vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
naznatips said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

Because I need the same exact to be true for all the different bombs/knives/traps I have in my pockets. I am hoping to press F1 to throw my stun grenade and F2 to be my super awesome knife and F3 to be my less awesome knife, etc.

Earlier you were complaining that you had to pause to switch signs, when that is not true.  You can map the signs to whichever key you want.  You already have a hotkey to either throw a dagger or a bomb.  So basically one hotkey is the difference between great mechanics or shit mechanics.  Got it.

If you're required 2 kinds of knives, multiple bombs and multiple signs in the same fight then I suggest you're doing something fundamentally wrong.  Sounds like a learn2play issue to me.

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:
naznatips said:
vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

Earlier you were complaining that you had to pause to switch signs, when that is not true.  You can map the signs to whichever key you want.  You already have a hotkey to either throw a dagger or a bomb.  So basically one hotkey is the difference between great mechanics or shit mechanics.  Got it.

If you're required 2 kinds of knives, multiple bombs and multiple signs in the same fight then I suggest you're doing something fundamentally wrong.  Sounds like a learn2play issue to me.

I am playing at the hardest setting, which is kind of difficult when you are fighting in certain situations, you should try it. Honestly I should probably be using oils and potions more than I am.

Edit: My argument is that a controller is unfit to play this game as well as it can be played. Did you have the ability to access any sign as you wish on the spot on the controller?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Khuutra said:

No sir. You are wrong. There is no functionality that a keyboard offers in Witcher 2 that isn't perfectly mimicked by a 360 controller. Every single meaningful action can be mapped to one of the controller's buttons.

And FYI: don't go spouting off about what you can or can't do unless you read the manual (also read the manual, though that usually requires you to actually legally obtain yoru games, I'm sure). Switching to the next sign is done with 3, the next quick-use item is done with 4.

I don't even have the game installed; I know this stuff because I looked in the manual.

My friend played the Witcher 2 with a controller pad. There should be no argument about its capacity to be on consoles. The only thing they would probably do is drop the graphics level (which shouldnt matter to those who want the gameplay).

It is like you completely ignored the rebuttal I had to his argument that outlined pretty well why the mechanics that exist are shitty EXACTLY because it seems like they were trying to shoehorn the controls on a controller that has so few keys.

I can ignore the rebuttal because its irrelevant. I go to a school with a pretty good game art program and all the students already told me the witcher can be done on consoles, it will be an aquired taste though as the game is pretty hard. Demon Souls sold well didn't it? Ok. Not very much to argue here dude. I've already gotten confirmation from people in the field and training to be in it. It might be dumbed down kinda like Crysis was for consoles but I don't care. I watched my friend playing it with a controller pad as if he had a console using it. It's as simple as that. Theres talk and seeing things.

I hope those students fail, then, because even a basic understanding of the current tech in The Witcher 2 will tell you that it cannot run on PS360 in its current form at all. Even the low settings push gaming rigs far more powerful. Now with consoles they are much better optimized, and can run things which otherwise wouldn't run on them at all, but the downgrade will still be absolutely massive.

Do you know why Crysis 2 is in a city? It's got nothing to do with making the game feel more "personal" than the first. It's because in a city you only need your draw distance to be 100 yards or so in any direction, especially when you're putting up massive obstacles and craters to block view and force less long-distance rendering. Throw in some pre-rendered cutscenes for the impressive distance shots and you've got Crysis 2.

Now you can't do that for The Witcher 2. It's already made. It's already full of sprawling vistas, huge landscapes, battles with dozens of enemies on screen, and enormous detailed cities. This does not run on consoles, not like it is. It can probably be made to run on consoles, and it probably will be made to run on consoles, but the PC version is an entire generation apart, and I absolutely mean that.

i hope so, my comp is no were near ready for games like witcher 2....i can barely run minecraft.  the game totally looks like my kinda thing so i very much want this to be true