By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Witcher 2 on Xbox360?

jester2358 said:

i hope so, my comp is no were near ready for games like witcher 2....i can barely run minecraft.  the game totally looks like my kinda thing so i very much want this to be true

Minecraft, ironically, is not that easy to run. My netbook can't handle it at above 20 fps or so. Still, obviously leagues apart from The Witcher.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

I am playing at the hardest setting, which is kind of difficult when you are fighting in certain situations, you should try it. Honestly I should probably be using oils and potions more than I am.

Edit: My argument is that a controller is unfit to play this game as well as it can be played. Did you have the ability to access any sign as you wish on the spot on the controller?

My point is you don't need to access every sign with a button press to be successful in combat, you just need to plan ahead.  I am also playing on hard by the way.  I don't need daggers AND signs AND bombs in most fights.  Usually I'm just dodging, parrying and usings signs, switching during a fight isn't hard or annoying.  I equip the bomb that I feel will be most useful in any fight I'm likely to encounter.  This is obviously part of the game mechanic since you can't even use potions during a fight, the designers intended for you to prepare before a fight.  If however you need to switch it takes 2 seconds to do so during a fight.

The controller is certainly not unfit, you just don't like pausing the action.  That's a personal preference, not a design flaw.  I think it's great because I like the strategy, I don't demand that the game needs all strategy to happen in real time for it be successful.  When the developers played the game in demonstrations the often used the controller.  

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

I am playing at the hardest setting, which is kind of difficult when you are fighting in certain situations, you should try it. Honestly I should probably be using oils and potions more than I am.

Edit: My argument is that a controller is unfit to play this game as well as it can be played. Did you have the ability to access any sign as you wish on the spot on the controller?

My point is you don't need to access every sign with a button press to be successful in combat, you just need to plan ahead.  I am also playing on hard by the way.  I don't need daggers AND signs AND bombs in most fights.  Usually I'm just dodging, parrying and usings signs, switching during a fight isn't hard or annoying.  I equip the bomb that I feel will be most useful in any fight I'm likely to encounter.  This is obviously part of the game mechanic since you can't even use potions during a fight, the designers intended for you to prepare before a fight.  If however you need to switch it takes 2 seconds to do so during a fight.

The controller is certainly not unfit, you just don't like pausing the action.  That's a personal preference, not a design flaw.  I think it's great because I like the strategy, I don't demand that the game needs all strategy to happen in real time for it be successful.  When the developers played the game in demonstrations the often used the controller.  

Why are you parrying and dodging? If you are doing that much you are obviously donig something wrong. With the proper signs and bombs you don't have to worry about any of that and you can just wade through anything. Also the knives are the absolutely best way to murder any boss since they don't seem able to be parried at all. The only thing that blocks them is the enemy's Quen.

Pausing action in an actoin rpg breaks the action, surprising isn't it. If you had more buttons would you have to pause the action? No? Is this a tacical or an action RPG? It doesn't come down to preference, it comes down to what the game is and what concessions the game makes. My personal preference is that I don't pause even in tactical RPGs, but in those when I need to it does not break the flow of the game in any way. Meanwhile I am FORCED to pause in an action RPG, and that is unaccepable. That wouldn't be a problem on a keyboard, but it's a huge problem on controllers.

Edit: Just to sum it up. Does the game have the option to be played as I wish? On a controller just about all the time, it is no. Meanwhile with the functionality of a keyboard, most of the time, it is yes. Therefore a keyboard is better than a controller. You can also objectively measure just how much more functionality a keyboard has than buttons on a controller by simply counting them.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Please let this be true, even as a 360 exclusive

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

My friend played the Witcher 2 with a controller pad. There should be no argument about its capacity to be on consoles. The only thing they would probably do is drop the graphics level (which shouldnt matter to those who want the gameplay).

It is like you completely ignored the rebuttal I had to his argument that outlined pretty well why the mechanics that exist are shitty EXACTLY because it seems like they were trying to shoehorn the controls on a controller that has so few keys.

I can ignore the rebuttal because its irrelevant. I go to a school with a pretty good game art program and all the students already told me the witcher can be done on consoles, it will be an aquired taste though as the game is pretty hard. Demon Souls sold well didn't it? Ok. Not very much to argue here dude. I've already gotten confirmation from people in the field and training to be in it. It might be dumbed down kinda like Crysis was for consoles but I don't care. I watched my friend playing it with a controller pad as if he had a console using it. It's as simple as that. Theres talk and seeing things.

Yes it can be played only because there are a bunch of really crappy mechanics in the game to make it playable on the controller. It would be a better game had those mechanics noe been included. I haven't even started bitching about the general UI and all the menus, which a lot of people say it appears consolized as well.

Theres nothing crappy about the game. The animations are more dead-on than Dragon Age.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:

Yes it can be played only because there are a bunch of really crappy mechanics in the game to make it playable on the controller. It would be a better game had those mechanics noe been included. I haven't even started bitching about the general UI and all the menus, which a lot of people say it appears consolized as well.

Theres nothing crappy about the game. The animations are more dead-on than Dragon Age.

The UI is really shitty, but the best a controller can handle. Controls aren't as robust as they should be, and who the fuck said anything about the animations and what do they have to do with anything?

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:

The UI is really shitty, but the best a controller can handle. Controls aren't as robust as they should be, and who the fuck said anything about the animations and what do they have to do with anything?

It's not the best a controller can handle. It was made as if it was created for a controller. The fluidity of the moves is insane compared to dragon age, which is primarily pc oriented and isn't as fluid because its meant more for keyboard. Dragon Age 2 has more movement.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:

It's not the best a controller can handle. It was made as if it was created for a controller. The fluidity of the moves is insane compared to dragon age, which is primarily pc oriented and isn't as fluid because its meant more for keyboard. Dragon Age 2 has more movement.

Yes, it was made with a controller in mind, and a controller is a really shitty way to navigate UIs.

Did you really just try to spin animation transitions as being representative of control quality? I need to make sure this is what you said before I make fun of you for something you didn't actually say.

vlad321 said:
daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

Why are you parrying and dodging? If you are doing that much you are obviously donig something wrong. With the proper signs and bombs you don't have to worry about any of that and you can just wade through anything. Also the knives are the absolutely best way to murder any boss since they don't seem able to be parried at all. The only thing that blocks them is the enemy's Quen.

Pausing action in an actoin rpg breaks the action, surprising isn't it. If you had more buttons would you have to pause the action? No? Is this a tacical or an action RPG? It doesn't come down to preference, it comes down to what the game is and what concessions the game makes. My personal preference is that I don't pause even in tactical RPGs, but in those when I need to it does not break the flow of the game in any way. Meanwhile I am FORCED to pause in an action RPG, and that is unaccepable. That wouldn't be a problem on a keyboard, but it's a huge problem on controllers.

Edit: Just to sum it up. Does the game have the option to be played as I wish? On a controller just about all the time, it is no. Meanwhile with the functionality of a keyboard, most of the time, it is yes. Therefore a keyboard is better than a controller. You can also objectively measure just how much more functionality a keyboard has than buttons on a controller by simply counting them.

I hope you find a game that is to your liking.

Might I suggest one of these - http://www.freetypinggame.net/

You get to use every key on the keyboard to win!

daroamer said:
vlad321 said:

I hope you find a game that is to your liking.

Might I suggest one of these - http://www.freetypinggame.net/

You get to use every key on the keyboard to win!

Don't worry I have found plenty. Incidentally very few of them could be used with a controller without sacrificing gameplay (incidentally Witcher 2 is one of those who have been hamstrung because of a controller mindset and I still like).

But I am glad that you at least didn't argue that a keyboard has more functionality and therefore superior for action RPGs and just fell back on hilariously bad arguments.