By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

ItsaMii said:
The force is strong with the Wii. Its mid chlorian count is at least twice that of the GameCube.

I sense something; a presence I've not felt since...

Around the Network

"" The biggest dynamic is the change in market share for the different consoles and the chaos that it is creating for 3rd party developers. It took a couple years for that generation to shake out and it will take a couple of years this time before the writing on the wall is big enough for everyone to read it. ""

==> chaos that is is creating for third party dev ?
a couple of years ?

For what I remember, things were pretty easy :

EVERYBODY on the PSX's boat
vs
Nintendo+Rare alone

Things were pretty simple.

But for the moment, the biggest point, that makes the Wii so diferent from ALL the consoles :
After just 1 year, the system seller games are casual games : Wiisport/Wiifit
(see how Wiifit saved the Wii in Japan, 1 month ago)
The PS2 was selling because of DMC1/MGS2/FFX, hardcore games.

E32008 will be very interesting to see the direction the Wii will take.

(yes, I still believe in the 200M sales "potential" of the Wii, but for the moment it is just a potential)

Time to Work !

fkusumot said:
ItsaMii said:
The force is strong with the Wii. Its mid chlorian count is at least twice that of the GameCube.

I sense something; a presence I've not felt since...

Playstation: You killed video games as we know it!

Wii: *removes mask*

Snes: Playstation, I am your father!

Playstation: Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Ah and the dance continues. When looking at those who are saying the Wii will only ever have a unique/casual/spin-off/non-consequential library, just simply look to what console or type of gaming they prefer it more than explains thier motives for why they want to think that. ;)

fkusumot said:
Legend11 said:

Some people believe that the Wii is this generation's "PS2" and that will carry over into the games as well (it'll get the bulk of the best third party games and support) while others (like me) do now believe that is the case.

No, there's another analogy. There are some of us who believe this generation is more like the change from SNES -> PS1. The PS3 is more like the N64 and the Wii is more like the PS1 (which makes the PS2 like the SNES). The biggest dynamic is the change in market share for the different consoles and the chaos that it is creating for 3rd party developers. It took a couple years for that generation to shake out and it will take a couple of years this time before the writing on the wall is big enough for everyone to read it.

Interesting analogy, I think the situation is still different in key ways but I guess we'll have to wait for a "couple of years" before we see how things shake out.  The PS1 had several 3+ million third party sellers in it's first year. It had several 5+ million third party sellers in it's second.  It was also obvious by the start of it's second year that it was getting a lot of third party support with many of the best teams, games, and budgets.  The announcement for Final Fantasy 7 was made 4 months after the system's North American launch for example.  I guess we'll see though if the Wii is the PS1 when it comes to third parties instead of the PS2 (or whatever people want to compare it to).

Around the Network

Ah Legend11, you make a good argument but in the end, how much of it is really just you wanting to think the Wii won't steel anymore third party support? How much of it is just you wanting to think that no matter how well the Wii does, the games that matter will always be on the hardcore consoles?

This is just an evolved progression of the arguments that the Wii had only casual or party games. You raise interesting points and make plausable predictions but we really have to look at your motives when taking your words in context here.

I personally think Third Party Support will grow stronger and larger - the third party games that came out last quarter of this year were stronger than last quarter etc, Capcom have it right with the best port - setting up a spin off on rails shooter perfect for the Wii that has basically already met it's target (currently on 600K and I read somewhere it's target is 620K) and even though Zak and Wiki has still only sold 150K I cannot see it ever selling less than 10K per week and guarantee when the sequel comes out a large percentage of the people that bought the original will but the 2nd as it's that high quality.

GH3 also proved that a well made, well advertised game will sell, Mario and Sonic (although it has mario in it) is just fantastic and compliments Wii Sports so much - this is imo the best third party game i've played on the platform so with dev companies getting the hang of the Wii mote and how to implement it they go into 08 with some experience and the Wii Ware channel to 'experiment' on and test the waters on new innovative ideas so to speak.

Worst case scenario if Nintendo titles carry it through 08 then with the size of the install base it will have - attach rates for the Wii third party will not be a problem anymore and if it hits say 30M then Devs will not and cannot ignore it anymore. The DS probably had every same problem that anyone has ever discussed about the Wii on these forums and it all came good in the end.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

fkusumot said:
Legend11 said:

Some people believe that the Wii is this generation's "PS2" and that will carry over into the games as well (it'll get the bulk of the best third party games and support) while others (like me) do now believe that is the case.

No, there's another analogy. There are some of us who believe this generation is more like the change from SNES -> PS1. The PS3 is more like the N64 and the Wii is more like the PS1 (which makes the PS2 like the SNES). The biggest dynamic is the change in market share for the different consoles and the chaos that it is creating for 3rd party developers. It took a couple years for that generation to shake out and it will take a couple of years this time before the writing on the wall is big enough for everyone to read it.

I prefer the analogy between Nes and Wii

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

@Girl Gamer Elite

I read announcements of new games for the PS3/360 that have significant budgets on a monthly basis. Game Informer for example has started a new feature in which they have a World exclusive announcement of a new game on their cover every month. The games have pretty much been 360/PS3 games with January's issue featuring Command & Conquer: Tiberium on the cover. I'm willing to make a ban bet that February's issue will have a 360/PS3 game as well.

I go to websites like GameIndustry.biz to see what the job market it like in the videogame industry and notice job postings for people with PS3 and/or Xbox 360 and/or UE3 experience for companies that have no known games in development for those consoles or aren't known UE3 licensed developers.

I read about companies like EA creating EA Casual and Ubisoft focusing on casual games for the Wii (with a few hardcore ones, emphasis on few) and it looks like it's pretty obvious where things are heading. I also read how Ubisoft is making huge profits off of Assassin's Creed and Activision is raving about Call of Duty 4.

So maybe you can understand why I might be a bit skeptical when I come on here and read where some people think the gravy train will soon derail for the PS3/360 because of the big bad Wii. Everytime I ask for proof that it's going to happen I get responses like "prove it's not going to happen" or "it's going to happen next year" (or whenever).  It's fine for people to compare the Wii to another console but they should at least give some evidence to go along with it.  If they're going to compare it to the PS1 or PS2 or whatever they should be prepared to show some major franchise titles or anything that shows that the same thing is happening in terms of third party games on the Wii.

celine said:
fkusumot said:

I prefer the analogy between Nes and Wii

Well... yeah. There's not too many people that post here that actually remember those days beyond fond childhood memories. Also, the whole "saving console gaming" analogy is more nuanced than most have the capability to follow. I agree that there are several comparisons to be made.