By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 tops 360 in Netflix usage

2.5 GB per day for the average home console Netflix user? Jeez us Canadians are getting the shaft with bandwidth limits then. My bandwidth cap is 60 GB/month. That averages out to a 2 GB allowance more or less per day for EVERYTHING. This is why I mainly stuck to SD video for Netflix. Sometimes watching the HD streams when I had excess bandwidth to burn. I mainly watched on my laptop lying on my bed though I did stream a few movies/tv episodes from my Xbox 360 here and there.

From my personal experience, and this is just me, HD streaming from my laptop will also slow down and then revert to a SD stream. Whereas I don't believe I ever had this problem with the Xbox 360. My laptop runs off a Wi-Fi connection whereas my Xbox 360 runs off a wired connection so maybe that's why. But since I mainly streamed in SD anyway, I just stuck with laptop streaming most of the time. 

I cancelled my free Netflix trial right before the 30 day mark and went back to just pirating everything. $8/month is a fair price to pay for convenience, even if the Netflix.ca selection could be a lot better (it's quite poor compared to what the Yanks have), but I'm a penny pincher. What can I say? lol. I find it interesting that Netflix is generating more internet traffic than bittorent. I jumped off the bittorent bandwagon for the most part in early 2009 when users were getting caught for piracy and started downloading from file hosting sites. But even if you take into account those (which count under http traffic, not bittorent traffic), it seems like the majority or at least close to a majority have transitioned towards legal streaming of content. Piracy is taking a smaller piece of the pie and I can understand that. Bittorent is not that safe and downloading videos from file hosting sites can be a big fucking inconvenient pain in the ass at times. With Netflix in Canada being sub-par and Hulu not being available here (I even tried a workaround where I spoofed a US IP and for some reason Hulu didn't work out too well for me), I'm sure piracy is stronger in Canada though.

Around the Network
Seece said:
snakenobi said:
mchaza said:

interesting since there are less PS3 in the US. 

But this goes hand in hand with the fact that more PS3's are connected then 360. I dont know the numbers in the US and 360 could be higher there, but yea its interesting. 

alot of 360's sold in the US and all around the world have also gone RROD'd

so take that into account

almost all first generation 360's went KABOOOOOOOOOOM

and US was the early adopter of 360 platform

Really? You need to start this BS up again. VAST majority of those RROD were fixed/replaced. And all evidence goes against it having any real impact on active userbase.

The reasons someone posted above seem the most plausible.

You can't claim it didn't have an effect. I have bought 2 XBOX 360's myself, the first ran out of warranty. My uncle has bought 3, he bought the 2nd one because the 1st died without a warranty and the 3rd one he bought was a slim.

The RROD has had quite a significant effect on the XBOX 360 sales, especially since everybody I know has bought 2-3 XBOX's (not including replacements).

Anyway, I didn't even know the PS3 has netflix, I don't think we can get it in the UK, what exactly am I missing out on?

Seece said:
snakenobi said:
mchaza said:

But this goes hand in hand with the fact that more PS3's are connected then 360. I dont know the numbers in the US and 360 could be higher there, but yea its interesting. 

Really? You need to start this BS up again. VAST majority of those RROD were fixed/replaced. And all evidence goes against it having any real impact on active userbase.

yeah most got replaced but many people purchased multiple 360's

sorry that i came off as so agressive

brendude13 said:
Seece said:
snakenobi said:
mchaza said:

You can't claim it didn't have an effect. I have bought 2 XBOX 360's myself, the first ran out of warranty. My uncle has bought 3, he bought the 2nd one because the 1st died without a warranty and the 3rd one he bought was a slim.

The RROD has had quite a significant effect on the XBOX 360 sales, especially since everybody I know has bought 2-3 XBOX's (not including replacements).

Anyway, I didn't even know the PS3 has netflix, I don't think we can get it in the UK, what exactly am I missing out on?

its like LOVEFILM

brendude13 said:
Seece said:

I don't care about peoples friends on the internet, that isn't evidence of anything. 360's SW sales however are.

Around the Network

Since people have already brought up the RRoD I might as well bring up PSN being down... What else do you think PS owners have been doing the last month? :-p 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

With Netflix on PS3 available to anyone with a Netflix account and broadband internet connection vs. Netflix users needing a XBL Gold account to use it on their Xbox 360, I'm not too surprised. Especially when you take into account that the PS3 is geared more towards being a home entertainment center device than the Xbox 360. The PS3 has Blu-Ray, the XMB menu is more appropriate for a home entertainment center, the PS3 hardware itself has a better aesthetic fit with home entertainment centers, etc.

Not really surprising given how you have to have XBL Gold to use Netflix on the 360.

snakenobi said:
brendude13 said:
Seece said:
snakenobi said:
mchaza said:

its like LOVEFILM

Ahh yes, LOVEFILM, now I know how THAT works.

Euphoria14 said:

I read about this a few days ago.

I wonder if we can expect our Netflix rates to go up because of this.

Here in the U.S., Nexflix rates have increased.  In fact, there is now a Netfix streaming only option for like $8 USD monthly.