By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 tops 360 in Netflix usage

http://www.businessinsider.com/ps3-tops-xbox-360-for-netflix-usage-2011-5

By M.H. Williams

According to a new report by broadband company Sandvine, Netflix accounts for 24.71 percent of the total internet traffic in the United States.  BitTorrent traffic is in second place with 17.23 percent, HTTP sites boast a 17.18 take, and YouTube sits at 9.85 percent.

When downstream traffic only is measured, Netflix rises to 29.70 percent, up from 20.61 percent in Sandvine’s report last year.  HTTP, YouTube, BitTorrent, and Flash Video bring up the rear with 18.36 percent, 11.04 percent, 10.37 percent, and 4.88 percent respectively.

And where are people going to fulfill their Netflix habit? Interestingly, despite the fact that Xbox 360 had Netflix first and didn't require any sort of start-up disc, PlayStation 3 actually is the leading device for watching Netflix with 30.57 percent of the total traffic.  The Xbox 360 is number two with 24.94 percent while Netflix’s original streaming platform – the PC – has a 19.55 percent share.  The Wii’s lack of HD streaming leaves it at 10.75 percent, which is still above every other device in the report.  All told, 66.26 percent of all Netflix watching is done on home consoles.

The average Netflix user consumes 1 GB of data per day, while those getting their Netflix on with a console consume 2.5 GB per day.  These numbers are huge, and that’s before Star Trek launches on Netflix streaming.

Come on, you know you’re waiting for it too

just thought that was interesting and should be shared.

Around the Network

WOW PS3 is leading device!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

makes sense.

netfilx on ps3 is free.

also wathing and streaming movies seems to be something thats cators to the ps3 user demographics.

being that a lot of ps3 users bought it for its multimedia features, like bluray. so there are probably more movie lover/watchers with a ps3 than any other console

PS3 still has no games? :d

Dont kill me.

fallen said:

Dont kill me.

Damn you!!!! That was gonna be my line!!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
fallen said:

Dont kill me.

Lol!  I got a chuckle out of that!

But even in my house, I use the PS3 for Netflix. Netflix on the 360 has this awful habit of saying "My internet speed has changed.  Please stand by while we adjust the quality of video". This never happens on PC, PS3, or Wii.  I like the fact that everybody can see what I'm watching on 360 and every now and then, we can watch something together but I prefer the smoother experience that the PS3 offers.

interesting since there are less PS3 in the US. 

But this goes hand in hand with the fact that more PS3's are connected then 360. I dont know the numbers in the US and 360 could be higher there, but yea its interesting. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

mchaza said:

But this goes hand in hand with the fact that more PS3's are connected then 360. I dont know the numbers in the US and 360 could be higher there, but yea its interesting. 

alot of 360's sold in the US and all around the world have also gone RROD'd

so take that into account

almost all first generation 360's went KABOOOOOOOOOOM

and US was the early adopter of 360 platform

snakenobi said:
mchaza said:

alot of 360's sold in the US and all around the world have also gone RROD'd

so take that into account

almost all first generation 360's went KABOOOOOOOOOOM

and US was the early adopter of 360 platform

Really? You need to start this BS up again. VAST majority of those RROD were fixed/replaced. And all evidence goes against it having any real impact on active userbase.

The reasons someone posted above seem the most plausible.

mchaza said:

ther more relvant comparision is # of ps3s vs. # of 360s with netflix access.

as i understand it both systems have a simular internet attach ratio but netflix is availbile to everyone on th eps3 while only to gold members on the 360.   even though the 360 has ~twice the userbase in the US if only ~half are gold then the numbers are really about even.