By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS: The Failed Launch

What is hurting the 3DS launch is that it doesn't really have even 1 AAA game that is either getting people talking about it or satisfying the traditional gamer.

The best games are niche games and the closest thing to the next big thing (outside RE:MErcenaries) for the system will be the remixed port of a N64 game. Cause for concern, although as others have stated this is a common occurance. It is just that there is usually one great game to keep people solid for a few months.

Around the Network

I couldn't help but find this article hilarious.

1) He works for a video game journalism site.

2) He clearly follows the 3DS closely.

3) He works for a video game journalism site.

=??= He has NO IDEA about the release schedule for 3DS games? LoooooooooL Epic fail.

Everyone, I mean, everyone knew it was going to be dry for a while. I guess this guy was wearing extremely thick sunglasses to not notice!

Also, his thought process seems to have gone like this: "Zelda is coming soon in June! ... Zelda is coming soon in June! ... It's May now!.. and Zelda isn't out yet?! Nuuu :( "

:P

NoirSon said:

What is hurting the 3DS launch is that it doesn't really have even 1 AAA game that is either getting people talking about it or satisfying the traditional gamer.

The best games are niche games and the closest thing to the next big thing (outside RE:MErcenaries) for the system will be the remixed port of a N64 game. Cause for concern, although as others have stated this is a common occurance. It is just that there is usually one great game to keep people solid for a few months.

While it is normal somewhat, I feel like it's worse here.  They rushed the thing out, without even one unique AAA game.  Given the lengthy timetable, this might be a worse launch then those of the PSP and most other Ninty handheld launches.

And with every day, NGP gets closer, hehe.

Well as far as entertainment the 3DS is fun, and the mini games are awesome on the system. I just wish more people had it so we could like play together, secondly like everyone else is saying, I knew buying the system at launch was a something i didn't need to do, mainly because there were no must have games, but then again i also knew that it would take time for the games to come out and i would have to be patient. That being said, it does suck that there are no really must have games out right now, i went and bought rayman just cause i wanted a new 3d game to play ((it actually worked out well, it's really looks great in 3d)) so yeah

3609-1228-9914

Tizona said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I don't know but doesn't every gaming system have this problem at launch and for months after launch?

It takes time for great games to start coming out consistently (took PS3 almost a year after launch to get this coming) for "most" systems...some never do get great games coming out consistently.

That's what I've been thinking. People always compare launch's to some mythical system that launched with 10 AAA games and never had any issues. Most systems launch with 1-2 games worth playing and a couple other games to fill shelf space. What game besides Mario 64 was REALLY worth buying 64 at launch? PS3 had Resistance and not much else, and we've already talked about the dismal first 6 months of software for the original DS. It takes time. I wish every game I wanted for 3DS was out right this second too, but that doesn't mean Nintendo failed.

Yeah I agree.

Even PS2's first year was dull....Xbox 360 had a few dull months too....like you said PS3's first year was dull

Now the above 3 systems libraries are seen as among the best in gaming...ever.

DS itself, did that have a good launch lineup window of games? I don't remember

Its ridiculous that journalists are trying to think up of problems 3DS is having and are trying to claim surprise over them as almost every system has this problem.

More than anything 3DS' much lower than expected hardware sales seem to have shocked people which is leading to disappointment/panic articles like these.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
NoirSon said:

While it is normal somewhat, I feel like it's worse here.  They rushed the thing out, without even one unique AAA game.  Given the lengthy timetable, this might be a worse launch then those of the PSP and most other Ninty handheld launches.

And with every day, NGP gets closer, hehe.

failed troll attemp =[

3DS HAS NO GAIMS

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

The 3ds is fine and its future looks very promising.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

underwhelming - yes

failed - no

All that really needs to be said regarding complaints of the current soft line up is: Really?

Is it just me, or was everyone else even remotely interested in the 3DS NOT aware of the announced initial release line up, future software release line up and related shipping dates?

Were publishers supposed to release these games earlier? No.

Have any major release dates been postponed or dropped altogether? No.

Were people expecting reams of unannounced games to be magically released shortly after the debut with no prior shipping date or press release statements? Apparently, yes.

Anyone who balked at the intial $250 price should have at least spent the 5-10 minutes to educate themselves as to what would be available upon release as well as the release schedule for whatever games they were expecting to buy for the system in subsequent months.

While I don't generally throw out blanket statements, anyone who knew this, bought the system anyway and was somehow expecting something to magically appear unannounced had completely unrealistic expectations at best, or is a complete idiot at worst.

In all likelihood, the 3DS will be a slow burner, much like the DS. Most without selective memory will recall that the DS really didn't explode in sales and demand until the DSl redesign, after which it was nearly impossible to find for the better part of a year.