By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS: The Failed Launch

KylieDog said:
Tizona said:

That's what I've been thinking. People always compare launch's to some mythical system that launched with 10 AAA games and never had any issues. Most systems launch with 1-2 games worth playing and a couple other games to fill shelf space. What game besides Mario 64 was REALLY worth buying 64 at launch? PS3 had Resistance and not much else, and we've already talked about the dismal first 6 months of software for the original DS. It takes time. I wish every game I wanted for 3DS was out right this second too, but that doesn't mean Nintendo failed.

Turok, but even ignoring that SM64 was a triple A game, something the 3DS does not have and that is unlkely to have for a long while, and no, a zelda game that has been re-releasing consistantly over the last 12 years or so isnt it, neither is a Resident Evil mini-game released as a stand-alone package.

Agreed. I'm not gonna argue with anyone that there is not a big AAA title on 3DS right now or in the immediate future. Hell I'm playing Okamiden on it right now. I'm just saying that many consoles release with weak launch titles, or suffer from early droughts, but it does not necessarily predict weak future sales for a console.

On the flip side, N-Gage launched with Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, and Sonic......N-Gage.....

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

Around the Network

Unless we're talking Wii, which really exploded right from the start, console launches usually start off a bit strong at launch and then quickly drop off after the launch hype dies down. That's what happened with the 3DS. I don't see how a bunch of 3D N64/PS2 ports and Mario Kart (the N64 and Gamecube had Mario Kart too...) are going to be the 3DS's savior though. The 3DS will have it's avid Nintendo fans supporting it no matter what. But it's not going to be truly mass market in the way that the DS or even GBA was. The mass market doesn't want modern home console game experiences on the go. Just look at the PSP and how well that did outside Japan. They want simple games that they can pick up and play and put down in short bursts. 3D doesn't lend itself well to being on the go and the 3D thing has been alienating a lot of people that have been complaining about eyestrain, headaches, illness or not being able to see the 3D effects very well (a significantly large minority have stereo blindness. And many people didn't even know about it until they watched 3D movies or played with 3DS). Turn the 3D off you say? Then why would you pay $250 for a 3DS when you aren't going to be using the 3D tech?

Nintendo is capable of fucking up. Look at the N64 and Gamecube. Not on the handheld realm before but there's a first time for everything. I find it amusing that the same Nintendo fans that defended the underpowered Wii are all over this stereoscopic 3D gimmick.

loves2splooge said:

Nintendo is capable of fucking up. Look at the N64 and Gamecube. Not on the handheld realm before but there's a first time for everything. I find it amusing that the same Nintendo fans that defended the underpowered Wii are all over this stereoscopic 3D gimmick.

I make you laugh, I'm here to frakin amuse you? Let me tell you, sir, real Nintendo fans enjoy the feeling of déjà vu.

Aiddon said:

I realize that news tends to be reduced to a trickle in the month before E3, but really? We're really going over this AGAIN? Gaming community/journalists, you have failed me once more

That is what the journalists covering the videogame industry do.  They post stuff predicting failure, or disappointment, or whatever, in hopes that it gets out and covered and they don't get ignored.  They compete for attention.  The gaming community, on the other hand, likes to pile in and feel they are on the right side of the issue.

loves2splooge said:

Sony said this in 2005 about the DS:

"With the DS, it’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen,” Harrison continued. “But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick – so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that.”

I guess I just like gimmicks.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

Around the Network

The Nintendo 3DS reminds me of one of my ex-girlfriend who takes a really long time to come.

darthdevidem01 said:

I don't know but doesn't every gaming system have this problem at launch and for months after launch?

It takes time for great games to start coming out consistently (took PS3 almost a year after launch to get this coming) for "most" systems...some never do get great games coming out consistently.

Except for Wii, it had it's best and most underrated game ready for launch.

morenoingrato said:

Yah, Kororinpa was a fucking great launch title.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
morenoingrato said:

Yah, Kororinpa was a fucking great launch title.

Every time I'm reminded of that game I have the urge to go play it again.  Sometimes I do. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Every system has a slow start, and the 3DS price is the only thing hindering it imho, cause the DS games are still there to transition over to the 3DS games.

Once they get it down to $150 it will sell boat loads, and I think move pretty fast at $200 once the good games start rolling out.

It's just that simple.