By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - being gay a choice vs born that way.

being gay a choice vs born that way.

It's a lifestyle choice 120 25.53%

Your born that way 250 53.19%

no opinion 36 7.66%

other---for anything I missed 62 13.19%

Total:468
axumblade said:
Kantor said:

Prejudice of any form is bad. Let's leave it there.

Note: In case the opposite has been suggested to you, I'm not gay.

Which makes me sad because you have the best taste in avatars on this site. ;_;

Shush, Machina might hear you >_<

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
izaaz101 said:

Like most things, a bit of nature and a bit of nurture.

I'm not sure I understand how that works.

Who nurtures a child to be gay? In fact, the opposite is true. There is an enormous stigma against homosexuality in modern society. The fact that there are still gay people (and indeed, that there were when it was punishable by death) pretty much proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't a choice.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I just don't see how it can be a choice. There's no way someone just wakes up one day and says, "Hmm, I think I wanna try dick in my ass, I think I'll make a day of it."

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Kantor said:
izaaz101 said:

Like most things, a bit of nature and a bit of nurture.

I'm not sure I understand how that works.

Who nurtures a child to be gay? In fact, the opposite is true. There is an enormous stigma against homosexuality in modern society. The fact that there are still gay people (and indeed, that there were when it was punishable by death) pretty much proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't a choice.

The same logic can be applied to serial killers. Who nurtures a child to be a serial killer? The fact there are still serial killers proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't a choice. 

Thus be very careful using that logic.

TruckOSaurus said:
Smidlee said:

@nightsurge

There are some people who don't believe in free-will and you do what you do because that's how you are "programmed". Of course the danger of this would be to ask do serial killers have a choice or are they just born or "programmed" that way.

You're completely missing the point.

Say I'm attracted by some guy, I don't have control over that, I could try to convince myself I don't find him sexy but I'd just be lying to myself. What I do have control over is what I do about it. In my case, since I'm in a relationship, I will just appreciate the view and that's it.

Even though I'm getting older I still  find teenage girls very attractive ... a lot more attractive than 99% women my age.   I learn my actions can change my desires.  I don't continue to dwell or watch young teenage girls (which can be dangerous) but with a lot of effort, focus more on my wife. 

Around the Network

well i understand if you are born homo but why why would you want to become homo?

Just a thought why doesn't everybody try to be gay for a day and see how well it works. For all the people who deny all most modern research on the topic, I think they should do some research of their own.

Not feeling the gay thing myself even if I try. Gay people are you trying to be not gay?

Sexuality exists in a sliding scale across both genders, which is the best way to portray it. Thus bisexuals aren't "choosing" anything (except in any one particular instance, choosing whether to act on their attraction to a man or a woman), they simply exist somewhere far enough in the middle of the scale that they can feel attracted either way. Straight people can,  rarely (thus depending on how "straight" you are), have varying levels of curiosity towards the other gender, hence we see isolated incidents of "experimenting," in people who otherwise run a perfectly hetero track record, and it works the other way except that when homos "experiment," they're doing what is "correct," and thus we don't frame a gay guy making out with a girl once quite the same way as we would two chicks engaging in some fondling once

It's something that's more fluid than these hard-and-fast rules

All sexuality is a choice. Those who take vows of chastity choose to deny their sexuality whatever it may be, but where your drive points you just depends on where you fall on the scale

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I just don't think we choose who we are attracted to, it's natural. And, why would someone decide to to be gay anyway in this hateful world? 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

I just don't think we choose who we are attracted to, it's natural. And, why would someone decide to to be gay anyway in this hateful world? 

To be devil's advocate, why does someone choose to be an atheist despite strong anti-atheist prejudice existing in many circles? Or even better, nobody likes serial murderers or serial rapists, yet some people choose to become them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.