By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - being gay a choice vs born that way.

being gay a choice vs born that way.

It's a lifestyle choice 120 25.53%

Your born that way 250 53.19%

no opinion 36 7.66%

other---for anything I missed 62 13.19%

Total:468
sapphi_snake said:
nightsurge said:
sapphi_snake said:
nightsurge said:

Why no option for Both?  I think in some circumstances it could be an imballance in the body or other alteration that you have from birth, while in other circumstances I am sure it is still entirely a choice.

Can you CHOOSE to be attracted to someone?

Yes... can't you?  Just as I can choose to be not attracted to someone for various reasons.

Especially in the situation where people are bi-sexual. Clearly they have a choice there in which they would rather be with at the time, or they can still choose both lol

Well, I can keep staring at Rosie O'Donnel, but man no matter how much I want to, I just can't find her attractive.I think you (like many people) confuse ATTRACTION with ACTION. Sure, I could CHOOSE to hit on Rosio O'Donnel, put a condom on, and rock her world while thinking I'm doing Angelina Jolie. However I cannot CHOOSE to be ATTRACTED to her.

Bisexuals do have a choice of which gender to pursue, but they themselves cannot CHOOSE to be ATTRACTED to someone.

So you are saying that people can never have a choice in who they are attracted to? That sounds utterly chaotic and quite frankly terrifying. I like to make my own decisions, not have fate or some birth genetics determine it for me.  People can be straight their whole lives and for example, a man can get tired of cheating/crazy women and give guys a try or vice versa. That right there is clearly a choice.

Just as I can very easily hangout with extremely "attractive" females as a straight male and have no urge to reproduce with them. That's because who I like is my choice and is determined by many variables that I myself decided.

Around the Network

Born...and honestly it doesn't matter, I don't mind knowing people are gay or seeing them kissing or w/e on the streets. I have gay friends and it's all good, it doesn't bug me at all. Honestly, it's their lives and they should be allowed to live it the way they want it

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

sapphi_snake said:
ps3_jrpg_gamer said:

whether  someone born this way or not the sure is that society will make him feel GUILTY 

That 's the whole point

even the fact that a thread like this exists 

what is gay ? some kind of science fiction craziness that needs analyzing ?

A category created in the 19th century for the repression and the control of people's sexuality. It was mainly created so those that call themselves "heterosexuals" could gain power over those they labeled as "homosexual".

Further reading: The History of Sexuality, vol. 1 by Michel Foucault

Proper Harvard referencing or nothing.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

S____M____C____C said:

not really. across all psychology a lot of behaviour comes from our environment. homosexuality almost definitely has something to do with self-scheme and environment imo.

for example i would say that men who possess more of/stronger characteristics of: being protective, mature, serious etc are more likely to be straight

men who are more party animal, live in the moment, banterous, fashion conscious etc are more likely to be gay

yes it's stereotypical, but c'mon. we all know gay guys are more likely to be in designer clothes with their hair styled to the side and all. If someone says 'gay guy' to you, what do you think of? That schema comes from real life experience

I can tell you right now you're heavily influenced by stereotypes. Being gay myself and having lots of gay friends I can tell gay guys are just as diverse in character than str8 guys.

I'm curious, where does your real life experience come from?

Signature goes here!

nightsurge said:
sapphi_snake said:
nightsurge said:
sapphi_snake said:
nightsurge said:

Why no option for Both?  I think in some circumstances it could be an imballance in the body or other alteration that you have from birth, while in other circumstances I am sure it is still entirely a choice.

Can you CHOOSE to be attracted to someone?

Yes... can't you?  Just as I can choose to be not attracted to someone for various reasons.

Especially in the situation where people are bi-sexual. Clearly they have a choice there in which they would rather be with at the time, or they can still choose both lol

Well, I can keep staring at Rosie O'Donnel, but man no matter how much I want to, I just can't find her attractive.I think you (like many people) confuse ATTRACTION with ACTION. Sure, I could CHOOSE to hit on Rosio O'Donnel, put a condom on, and rock her world while thinking I'm doing Angelina Jolie. However I cannot CHOOSE to be ATTRACTED to her.

Bisexuals do have a choice of which gender to pursue, but they themselves cannot CHOOSE to be ATTRACTED to someone.

So you are saying that people can never have a choice in who they are attracted to? That sounds utterly chaotic and quite frankly terrifying. I like to make my own decisions, not have fate or some birth genetics determine it for me.  People can be straight their whole lives and for example, a man can get tired of cheating/crazy women and give guys a try or vice versa. That right there is clearly a choice.

Just as I can very easily hangout with extremely "attractive" females as a straight male and have no urge to reproduce with them. That's because who I like is my choice and is determined by many variables that I myself decided.

Wouldn't that be great? That you yourself can choose what you like and what you don't, that you have control over every aspect of your personality and your life? That sure would be great.

But it isn't so. Most things in our life, including big parts of who we are and what we do, are heavily influenced by our genes, our hormones and our environment. We actually don't have much direct control over most aspects of our life. It may sound terryfiying but it doesn't change anything, it's just the way it is.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
sapphi_snake said:

But you're still attracted to those pretty girls right? Choosing not to sleep with them has nothing to do with it.

Signature goes here!

Smidlee said:

It's a fact people are not born gay as babies come out crying.

Some people would argue that crying is gay. Therefore, all babies are born gay.

@nightsurge

There are some people who don't believe in free-will and you do what you do because that's how you are "programmed". Of course the danger of this would be to ask do serial killers have a choice or are they just born or "programmed" that way.

Smidlee said:

@nightsurge

There are some people who don't believe in free-will and you do what you do because that's how you are "programmed". Of course the danger of this would be to ask do serial killers have a choice or are they just born or "programmed" that way.

You're completely missing the point.

Say I'm attracted by some guy, I don't have control over that, I could try to convince myself I don't find him sexy but I'd just be lying to myself. What I do have control over is what I do about it. In my case, since I'm in a relationship, I will just appreciate the view and that's it.

Signature goes here!

16 said it's a lifestyle choice???! 0_0 what the

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!