By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii now 10m ahead of PS3 - putting this into context / future predictions

shams said:
Thanks for the users actually reading and responding to my posts :)

Yes - I don't mean an EXTRA lead of 20m next year - I mean a repeat of this year, which gives 10m (2007) + 10m (2008) lead --> a 20m lead in total.

I wonder what sort of lead the Wii *would* need before people finally accept that its not going anywhere (not a fad) - and that its down to the 360/PS3 fighting out for 2nd spot this gen.

(of course things are never this simple - this generation has a few surprises yet to throw into the mix)

To answer your question I think that it takes at least 3 years to get a pretty good picture in terms of who will win a generation. Obviously the wii dominated the sales this year but it needs to consistently do that for at least 2-3 years in order for me to consider it the winner. I just tend to think a bit more longterm that's all. There are a number of factors which could cause the race to head in a different direction so we just have to be patient and not be so gullable as to declare the outright winner after just one year.

Around the Network

Apolitical and Shams,

As of now, the Wii has a 10m lead over the PS3. Let's assume the PS3 finishes the year at 8.7m; let's say 19m for the Wii. Keep in mind that Wii launched worldwide, whereas the PS3 did not. This gave the Wii a huge advantage, since it launched in not only the second largest market, but the PS3's strongest as well. Furthermore, the PS3's price point -- 600$ US and an even larger price in "others" -- drove sells into the ground. For example, the PS3 was outsold by the GBA multiple times this year. It also had weeks where it sold under 20k in the US with no supply problems at all. This along with no Europe made the PS3 sell numbers invisible, and it allowed the Wii to outsell it by huge margins.

Now, let's look at some of the differences heading into 08, shall we?

Unlike last year, the Playstation 3 is available worldwide, and there are no record-low supply problems like there were last holiday season. In addition, the price is now down to 400$, meaning it's no longer the ultra expensive machine it was. 8.7 PS3's were moved in it's first year even with these huge problems. None of these problems exist anymore. And if you noticed, the playstation has not been getting outsold as badly as it once did, suggesting that it won't be killed by the Wii as badly as it was when these problems were present.

Take a look, will you?

538,716 570,520:PS3
151,400 12,734,256
54,355 1,411,249:Wii
48,519 42,533,286
43,142 7,249,644
42,503 3,080,826
16,355 20,954,518
263 7,778,961
Total 895,253  

--------------------------------------------

As you can see, the Wii already had sold 1.5m units before the PS3 was even on the market, which tells us that the Wii had been doing well. It also tells us that the PS3 had been selling 0k per week compared to the Wii's 50+ per week. Something like this happening in 08 is impossible for obvious reasons.

Nintendo Wii: 5.8m

Playstation 3: 3.5m

With that said, how is it possible for 08 to be a repeat of 07? 

Personally I'm calm regards PS3 future. Situation can only get better. Paradoxically X360 and PS3 support each other right now. It's more profitable to release games for PS3/X360 than for Wii. Especially if we consider how unpredictable Wii's audience is. If you support both systems the risk is minimal. Also I think studios prefer to make big money on big titles (like in Hollywood) rather than develop a bunch of budget games. Wii won't outsell X360/PS3 combined. Never.

well for me i have to say that BOTH 360 and nintendo were able to stop the sony dominance, cuz in america if it werent for the 360 and its 07 lineup, the PS3 would've done alot better considering it attracts hardcore gamers.

One thing for sure is that Wii was able to go much further by dominating this year, and it will clinch numer 1 for next yr, but can PS3 close that gap a bit?? can it get closer to the wii?? this is what they want, and with their 08 lineup, its looking brighter for PS3, but Sony wpnt probabely do a pricecut till late 08 cuz they are losing alot of money right now.

The thing is that it looks like wii won this generation already, even if PS3 makes a late comback, but for putting a lot of competition, for widening the gaming world, and for just not letting PS3 just wipe out everything in its way. Also they're winning alot of money...

But this 10 million gap is surely a huge gap, not because sony wont sell, it may at somepoint outsell the wii... question is when and by how much.. be4 2009 i doubt it, and i doubt it will have the sales wii had this yr in any point of its lifetime with wii at the same time performing bad all yr long.

Still PS3 has to even out sales with the wii and learn from its mistakes... the next generation seems like it will be even more competitive and exciting!

If the 360 had japan this would be a different story.

Around the Network

Y

You're kidding yourself if you think the price has nothing to with it, dude. What if the Wii was 600$?

If the Wii was to expensive then people wouldn't buy it, but as the stores have now proven this last few months Nintendo could put this machine at £300(the price of the PS3) and it would still sell, PS3 or 360 could NEVER raise their price and expect to move any systems end of.....

"""You just got to laugh at the "Ohh it's the price of the Wii" Brigade.
It's NOTHING to do with the price as has been proven this Christmas,people will still pay £280-£300 for the system with a couple of games included. Just like the 2 games most stores are offering with the PS3 and 360, but people still chose the WII even though it has been almost mostly exactly the same price as the PS3 this last 2 months..."""

==>
the price and the hype are the 2 main factor that make people buy a Wii.
It is funny to see people thinking that the Wii is selling because of her line-up.

Time to Work !

I saw this thread for awhile now, never clicked on it, but then I saw that it was created by shams, I never really give out compliments on here but man, almost every one of your posts are a pleasure to read, best writer here, IMO.