By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii now 10m ahead of PS3 - putting this into context / future predictions

Sorair said:
shams said:
Sorair said:
naznatips said:
Jigglypuff said:
If price was a factor, the Gamecube woulda sold bucket loads.

Price is a factor. The leading game system is determined by the casual gamer sales. This has been proven time and time again. There are only a few factors though, and people tend to over-analyze things. The things that determine the best selling console are:

Price of Console
Quantity of Games
Price of Games
Press
Word of mouth

That's really it... you can go into quality and such all you want but the fact is the average consumer doesn't know shit about review scores. All they know is which console has the most games on the wall in the EB Games. We, the core gamers, who pay attention to review scores, follow internet news, and know things like sales data are less than 20% of the market.

Forget what the hell Shams was talking about the Wii is 10million units ahead of the PS3 or its software. I don't know what the hell was that about. Was it to take a shot at the PS3 or not?, but naz naznatips this is an excellent post.

Hardware - check the main page. From todays update, the Wii has now sold more than 10m MORE hardware than the PS3 has (in the same period of time).

Understandable, your still missing my point. Why attack the PS3 and not the Xbox 360?

I smell bias somewhere....

I think it had to do with the PS3 being behind by a nice round number like 10, and also it being released and selling during the exact same time period during the exact some span of its life.

If it makes you feel better if you align the launches of the Wii and 360 the Wii would be ahead by about 10.5m right now.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Wow, some of the replies here are priceless - true "Wii Bingo" all over again. People just haven't learned much from what happened this year.

Just like with the DS - Nintendo is showing developers "the way" with the Wii. It didn't have that many quality 3rd-party titles out in its first year, but will have 2-3x as many next time - and it will only increase from then.

Have a look at the current Japanese charts. DS games from Square Enix, Level 5, Bandai Namco, etc. All the Wii titles are from Ninty. It will just take time.

The Wii will easily get to 20m ahead of the PS3. Easily. Sony can't afford to cut prices ANYMORE - the next year will be one of consolidation, software - and maybe software bundling.

But what will happen, is there will be less 3rd-party software on the PS3 - and more on the Wii (in terms of ratio anyway - in terms of quantity the PS3 may still increase, as there are plenty of titles still in development).

Ninty has their biggest success in '07 OUTSIDE of the holiday period. This is where the Wii was really selling steadily, making easy gains over the competition.

Once the holidays are over, the constrained production of the Wii will be much less important. Demand will drop, but actual sales won't drop (unless Ninty starts stockpiling for next year). Many, many people will still be trying to pick up a Wii post-Xmas.

And the real killer-app - WiiFit - hasn't launched in Europe or the US yet. Look at what it has done to reinvigorate the Japanese Wii market. Just wait until it hits Europe - and then the US.

And all this before Mario Kart & Brawl are even launched. Not to mention WiiWare, and everything else coming... 

Structurally, the market has changed completely from PS1/PS2 days. The Wii is selling to a potential audience that is 5-10x larger than what the PS2 sold to. And the 360/PS3 are competing for exactly the same customers, and splitting their market straight down the middle (50% share each).

Lets see if people have changed their tune 3 or 6 months into next year - and then at the start of '09. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

naznatips said:
roadkillers said:
carlos710 said:
roadkillers said:
Yes the Wii is selling very good but....

1. The software isnt selling the best. The software that really only sells on it is Wii sports or that other one with a free Wii mote (wii play?). Mario did sell well but far behind what people thought. In Japan that game didnt sell even close to what people were predicting.

However it sells more software week after week since Galaxy was released. And don't say "it's because wii sports" because the 360 has 2 games counted with most of its sales.

And mario galaxy it's on path to become the best selling Mario 3d game ever. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Yes 1st party can sell great on a Nintendo system (like Mario) but 3rd party cant. The only million selling 3rd party games are Gutar Hero 3, Red Steel, Rayman Rabbits, and Resident Evil 4. Thts not counting Mario and Sonic because Mario is a household first party nintendo character. Anyways thats good sales for third party beside the fact that 2 were launch titles. Then Guitar Hero sells well on any console. For Resident Evil 4, that was a port from one of the greatest games of all time so I dont blame people for buying that.

Look at the 360. 23 out of 29 of the million sellers are 3rd party. 2/4 of the PS3 million sellers are third party. I dont think a console can win without 3rd party support. All that it seems like sells on the console is either first party games or just mini games. I think people will get bored of it. I dont expect any huge games like GTA, Resident Evil (numbered ones beside the port), MGS, Call of Duty (numbered), or a lot others to be on the Wii because no matter what you think Graphics do matter.

Personally I think the PS3 will make a come back and end up selling more then the 360 and the Wii. Given it might not be when the PS4 comes out but since Sony consoles last years after the new one comes out I think that give PS3 a good chance. Plus look at the big games comming out in the future. MGS4, GTA4, RE5, God of War 3, Resistance 2, and many others. The Wii in my opinion only has 2 huge games comming out in 2008. Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Although those games could seal the deal. Super Smash Bros will probally end up being the best selling game of next year (Not counting GTA on both 360 and PS3).

Im kinda rambling back in forward. So if you can understand that good if not sorry. Im kind of tired so im typing in circles. Anyways in the end to sum it up for you I think the PS3 will sell the most this Gen (not counting DS).

Whoa whoa whoa back up there chief.  Wii has 5 3rd party million sellers.  You can complain all you want about Mario being a first party character but M&S was developed and published by Sega (excpet for Japan where it was published by Nintendo).  They may have "cheated" by using Mario, but it's absolutely third party.  

You are also comparing Wii 3rd party game sales to the the 360 without taking other factors into account:

1.) Advertising.  Wii 3rd party games have recieved slim to no advertising, whereas most 360 million sellers are heavily advertised.  This is a 3rd party decision, and not a fault of the Wii.

2.) Quality.  Quality may not affect system sales, but it absolutely affects individual game sales.  The quality of 3rd party Wii games is nowhere near up to the standards of the quality of 360 (or even PS3) 3rd party games.  The companies who have put forth major effort on the Wii have certainly seen signifficant returns on their investments.  The only major exception to this would be Zack & Wiki, but the game had awful retail support and no advertising. :(

3.) Development costs.  Professional estimates say the average Wii game costs 1/2 - 2/3 as much as the average PS3 or 360 game.  Because of this, comparing sales directly is not a good direct comparison of profits or profit opportunities.  Less development cost makes for less risk.  Less chances of a megaflop (Stranglehold, The Darkness, Kane & Lynch, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.).  It also means most Wii games won't have to sell 1 million to make a profit.  

I agree with 1 and 3 but not 2. Quality in games dont matter today. Actually let me take that back. Most of the time quality doesnt matter. You look at games like The Matrix which set a record for about 3 million pre-orders and the game ended up being a piece of crap and still sold millions. Assassins Creed, which a lot of people say is boring and repetitive, has sold so much that it is the fastest selling New IP of all time. Hell even Lair sold pretty well for the all the bad press it was getting. While games like Zack and Wiki, Phyconauts (spelling), and many others dont sell.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Sqrl said:

Sorair said:

Understandable, your still missing my point. Why attack the PS3 and not the Xbox 360?

I smell bias somewhere....

I think it had to do with the PS3 being behind by a nice round number like 10, and also it being released and selling during the exact same time period during the exact some span of its life.

If it makes you feel better if you align the launches of the Wii and 360 the Wii would be ahead by about 10.5m right now.

Sorry - I missed your point completely (couldn't understand what you were saying).

Its as Sqrl says - purely because both consoles launched at *exactly* the same time (except for Europe), so its much easier to compare them.

Its equally astounding (if not more) then the Wii has overtaken the 360, and now has a handy lead over it.

IMO, there is strong evidence that MS badly squandered their one year lead - and are now paying the price. Still - by their standards, year two was pretty good (lot better than year one), and at the least they have managed to match Sony/PS3 sales worldwide.

They are going to have to work hard in Europe though - as they have admitted. Clawing back some of the lost marketshare in Europe is probably goal#1 for them next year.  

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

roadkillers said:

I agree with 1 and 3 but not 2. Quality in games dont matter today. Actually let me take that back. Most of the time quality doesnt matter. You look at games like The Matrix which set a record for about 3 million pre-orders and the game ended up being a piece of crap and still sold millions. Assassins Creed, which a lot of people say is boring and repetitive, has sold so much that it is the fastest selling New IP of all time. Hell even Lair sold pretty well for the all the bad press it was getting. While games like Zack and Wiki, Phyconauts (spelling), and many others dont sell.

Well okay I'll accept that games can sell well regardless of quality.  Advertising is certainly the biggest factor in software sales.  Oh and it's Psychonauts.  

Around the Network

@roadkillers: #3 is by far the most important. You should be comparing million sellers on the 360/PS3 to something like 300k-500k sellers on the Wii.

From a business view point (for an 'average', 'new' product), the Wii is easily the most compelling case at the moment - with the PS3 being the least compelling.

Its also worth noting that both PS3 million sellers are NOT exclusives - with the majority of sales on the 360 (Ass & CoD). Its a solid argument for x-platform development (360 + PS3 - which is solid), but much less so for PS3 exclusive titles.

Lets see when the first PS3, third party, exclusive million seller appears. Almost certain to be MGS - and that basically doesn't count, because *no* titles have that sort of brand name to call upon (its as strong as Mario really).

What about a new IP for the PS3, 3rd-party exclusive? Red Steel did it for the Wii - you could say that Rayman was an established IP (although a new genre).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Branko2166 said:
I'll go out on a limb and say that the wii will never have a lead of over 20 million over the ps3. I expect a lead of roughly 15-17 million by which time their sales should be about even.
Reason for this is I think Sony will have two price cuts next year and in combination with their great lineup next year it is possible for them to double this year's sales.

that's the most bullish i've ever seen ANYONE be on the ps3

u think ps3 will sell at least 13 million next year and will sell 200,000+ lifetime? because wii is selling over 20 million next year and over 200k lifetime easy

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Avinash_Tyagi said:
muffdiver11 said:
you forgot to mention that the Wii launched for $350 less than the ps3 (600-250= 350) Thats the difference right there. As technology costs are lowered, the price of the PS3 will be lowered.

lol you really think price is the reason Wii is selling so well?

I think thats one reasonable cause yes. 

Its not what people say that is offensive, it is how we react to it that determines offense or not- REBT theory of Albert Ellis.

Competing in online FPS since 1999.

Currently own a supreme gaming PC playing CoD4

Currently own a Wii with Mario Party 8, Resident Evil 4, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wii play, Mario Strikers Charged, and Wii sports. Looking forward to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Http://www.onlinebrawlcommunity.com    Online Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Series!  Feel free to sign up and chat with fellow smashers using our forums.  Casual competitions (i.e. HomeRun Contest) to come soon!

While price is a factor in Wii's favour, the much bigger factor is ease of accessibility. Everyone likes the Wii, not just your traditional gamer.

'Gamers' make up approx. 11% of the population. This is the market PS3 and 360 are fighting over.

Wii is targeting close to 100% of the population and so far seems to be having success in all demographics. It's potential isn't even starting to be realized, as most of those in the Wii's expanded audience are not the types to sit around pre-opening waiting to get a Wii as soon as the store opens. No, they'll grab one when they see it on a store shelf and when it's a convenient purchase for them. Something we haven't seen yet as the Wii is always supply constrained.

Forget Wii being 20m ahead of the PS3 by the end of 2008, it's lead will be much greater than that.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Yeah Sony has pulled out nearly all the stops to try and catch the Wii but without much effect, the Nintendo on the other hand has most of their bullets left

Correction: Sony pulled out all the stops to avoid falling flat on it's face and having "Playstation 3" replace "Virtual Boy" as gamer shorthand for unmitigated disaster.

It was pretty clear mid-year that the Wii was unstoppable - it was going to pass the 360, and the PS3 had no chance in hell of catching it this year or next. All Sony could do was ignore the competition and attempt to right it's own ship. To their credit, I think they have largely succeeded in doing so. Now they can focus on closing the gap with the 360. In a year or two, when they have dropped the PS3 closer to mass market prices, they can worry about Nintendo if they feel it necessary (odds are they won't bother, as the gap will be too substantial).