By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii now 10m ahead of PS3 - putting this into context / future predictions

Yes I agree its selling because its cheap & people like that. However, its not nearly as important as your making out, and the Gamecube proves this (IMO). The Wii is just very very popular. Im sure if it was $50 more in price, the sales would be pretty similar. But thats just my opinion...

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Jigglypuff said:
If price was a factor, the Gamecube woulda sold bucket loads.

Price is a factor. The leading game system is determined by the casual gamer sales. This has been proven time and time again. There are only a few factors though, and people tend to over-analyze things. The things that determine the best selling console are:

Price of Console
Quantity of Games
Price of Games
Press
Word of mouth

That's really it... you can go into quality and such all you want but the fact is the average consumer doesn't know shit about review scores. All they know is which console has the most games on the wall in the EB Games. We, the core gamers, who pay attention to review scores, follow internet news, and know things like sales data are less than 20% of the market.

Forget what the hell Shams was talking about the Wii is 10million units ahead of the PS3 or its software. I don't know what the hell was that about. Was it to take a shot at the PS3 or not?, but naz naznatips this is an excellent post.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

Yes the Wii is selling very good but....

1. The software isnt selling the best. The software that really only sells on it is Wii sports or that other one with a free Wii mote (wii play?). Mario did sell well but far behind what people thought. In Japan that game didnt sell even close to what people were predicting.

2. Wii probally wont be here that long. I have a feeling Nintendo will bring in a New console in the next couple of years. I'd say around 2 years once the Wii sales slow down drastically if that ever happens. Then again if that does happen Nintendo can just do a price drop and look what will happen. No wii's once again.

3. Personally now I think its just PS3 vs. Xbox 360. The Wii has taken off and I doubt either of those can catch up. Im sorry to say this but by the end of next year I think 360 will be done. It will end up in last last place behind two consoles that started a year late. Plus the 360 doesnt sell great anywhere beside in North America.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:

1. The software isnt selling the best. The software that really only sells on it is Wii sports or that other one with a free Wii mote (wii play?). Mario did sell well but far behind what people thought. In Japan that game didnt sell even close to what people were predicting.

2. Wii probally wont be here that long. I have a feeling Nintendo will bring in a New console in the next couple of years. I'd say around 2 years once the Wii sales slow down drastically if that ever happens. Then again if that does happen Nintendo can just do a price drop and look what will happen. No wii's once again.

3. Personally now I think its just PS3 vs. Xbox 360. The Wii has taken off and I doubt either of those can catch up. Im sorry to say this but by the end of next year I think 360 will be done. It will end up in last last place behind two consoles that started a year late. Plus the 360 doesnt sell great anywhere beside in North America.
The software is selling great though.... 

roadkillers said:

However it sells more software week after week since Galaxy was released. And don't say "it's because wii sports" because the 360 has 2 games counted with most of its sales.

And mario galaxy it's on path to become the best selling Mario 3d game ever. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network
roadkillers said:

roadkillers you truly are a god here on VGChartz....

1) Wii has some decent software that we will see in the future as the userbase increases. Software we thought that would never be on the console, might make its way sometime down the road.

2) I completely agree with you at the end that supply might slow down because of the $250 price, but as soon as Nintendo drops the bomb and prices the Wii at $150 or $200, then we can expect supply contraint again like whats happening now with the Wii.

3) The PS3 and Xbox 360 will never catch up to the Wii, Wii has completely won this generation. Its really a battle between the 360 and PS3, but like you said since the Xbox 360 is only dominating in America and not anywhere else. Its hard to believe that the Xbox 360 will stay in second.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial
Branko2166 said:
I'll go out on a limb and say that the wii will never have a lead of over 20 million over the ps3. I expect a lead of roughly 15-17 million by which time their sales should be about even.
Reason for this is I think Sony will have two price cuts next year and in combination with their great lineup next year it is possible for them to double this year's sales.

If they cut PS3's prices twice next year that either means they are doing so to let go of excess stock because they've given up... or the Wii will outsell it because Sony will have gone out of buisness.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
muffdiver11 said:
you forgot to mention that the Wii launched for $350 less than the ps3 (600-250= 350) Thats the difference right there. As technology costs are lowered, the price of the PS3 will be lowered.

lol you really think price is the reason Wii is selling so well?

So if the Wii cost $600 it would have sold just as well? Or if the PS3 cost $250, sales wouldn't be higher? 

Thanks for posting, Shams. I always enjoy reading your analyses (Is that the plural of analysis? I think it is..)

Stats87 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
muffdiver11 said:
you forgot to mention that the Wii launched for $350 less than the ps3 (600-250= 350) Thats the difference right there. As technology costs are lowered, the price of the PS3 will be lowered.

lol you really think price is the reason Wii is selling so well?

So if the Wii cost $600 it would have sold just as well? Or if the PS3 cost $250, sales wouldn't be higher?

wow good job on not reading my posts and taking it out of context. I said $50, not hundreds.

Please explain why the GC flopped despite its low price. At a price like that it should have sold double what it did, at minimum....

If the Wii was priced like the 360 Core, I'm sure sales would have been similar to right now. Its just that damn popular & very much in high demand.

Edit: sorry thought you were replying to me

*face blush*