By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think the 3DS controls can fix all the control issues of Metroid Other M

First of all, I've never played Metroid Other M. But I've seen a lot of previews, reviews and forums about the game. I'm not going to get into other aspects of the game, since I haven't played it. Just the controls. From what I've heard, the major complaints about the controls are

1. No analog control, you have to move with a d-pad

2. You can't move in first person viewing mode

3. The dodge button and the attack button are the same so if you just spam the attack button, the dodging literally just happens

I can think of a number of control options on the 3DS that would deal with all these problems. DO you think the game would have been better as a 3DS game? And more importantly, do you think the Metroid game that will inevitably be released on 3DS should be in the same gameplay style as Metroid Other M? We're talking about gameplay style now, not whether or not it is as story focused as Other M was.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network

nah, it would add more options options, but there's nothing to outright FIX in those controls; it was smooth and tight (and you CAN dodge in first-person mode)

I don't recall the dodge and attack being mapped to the same button - dodge was a tap of the D-pad, wasn't it?

Anyway, the controls worked fine for the game.  They were a bit different, but fine all the same.

tolu619 said:

3. The dodge button and the attack button are the same so if you just spam the attack button, the dodging literally just happens

That is not true.  The dodge was a tap of the d-pad in whatever direction you wanted to dodge.  You got one thing right though.  It is very easy to spam.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
tolu619 said:

That is not true.  The dodge was a tap of the d-pad in whatever direction you wanted to dodge.  You got one thing right though.  It is very easy to spam.

my bad. ok, at least i got the spam part right.@Rolstoppable, I also agree that a nunchuk wiimote combo will be best but please try to answer the questions I ended my post with

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

A Wiimote/Nunchuk setup would trump any control scheme you could come up with on the 3DS, because it gives you instant access to 360° degree movement while at the same time it's possible to freely aim at every possible spot on the screen.

Metroid on the 3DS should be a sidescroller like Super Metroid, because Other M style would require the game to rely on semi-automatic shooting mechanics once again.

A Metroid game with a third-person view and IR pointer aiming?  Yes, please.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If only the 3DS's controls could fix all of Other M's problems.

Pixel Art can be fun.

The 3DS most certainly can fix everything that was wrong about Other M because now we can finally ogle Samus' ass in 3D.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

How can you try to fix a game you didnt even play?...

I loved the game, analog instead of d-pad would be great, but other that that the game was really great, I was really amazed to see how smooth the transition from 2d to 1person view was. running and shooting was fine too. 

Maybe the story and VA was not the best, but it makes sense if you are been playing all the 2d games (specially fusion), but this is not a controller problem... 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

RolStoppable said:

A Wiimote/Nunchuk setup would trump any control scheme you could come up with on the 3DS, because it gives you instant access to 360° degree movement while at the same time it's possible to freely aim at every possible spot on the screen.

Metroid on the 3DS should be a sidescroller like Super Metroid, because Other M style would require the game to rely on semi-automatic shooting mechanics once again.

uh, don't have steel diver or? would piss off people on buses  and trains though.